• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Fleece in an Army unit.

The CANAIRGEN states that the AF Fleece is on the scale of issue for AF ppl and Army/Navy DEU members employed in the air environment.  Same kinda thing if an AF DEU clerk gets posted from a Wing to a Bn, they are then entitled to the CTS stuff/scale of issue.

Personally, I really like them.

These type topics always kill me.  Heard of a fellow the other day that had the Air Force fleece on.  Not a big deal I thought at first, except when I found out that the jackass had it over top of his CADPAT shirt.  :facepalm:

GnyHwy said:
These type topics always kill me.  Heard of a fellow the other day that had the Air Force fleece on.  Not a big deal I thought at first, except when I found out that the jackass had it over top of his CADPAT shirt.  :facepalm:

Which is an authorized form of RCAF dress. At least it is on 17 Wing.

Jim Seggie said:
Which is an authorized form of RCAF dress. At least it is on 17 Wing.

Yes, understood that COs retain the authority for dress.  I still think wearing a fleece over a CADAPT shirt is a  :facepalm: .  Especially considering it is winter, and there was no jacket involved.

GnyHwy said:
Yes, understood that COs retain the authority for dress.  I still think wearing a fleece over a CADAPT shirt is a  :facepalm: .  Especially considering it is winter, and there was no jacket involved.

I fully concur, however exceptions may be made. For instance, if the Armories is too cold to just wear a shirt, I have authorized, with Niner's blessing, day staff may wear their issue fleece over their shirts.

Jim Seggie said:
I fully concur, however exceptions may be made. For instance, if the Armories is too cold to just wear a shirt, I have authorized, with Niner's blessing, day staff may wear their issue fleece over their shirts.

Which is legal, according to a CANLANDGEN that was issued about 10 years ago; it stated the the fleece could be worn under the shirt, with collar in or out, over the shirt, or on it's own.

I had to print it at the time, as my CSM in CFLRS was "old school" and was convinced the fleece was replacing the old wool shirt, which was not to be seen outside the trg area.

Good on you Jim, but be careful; making sense is not always well received !!

GnyHwy said:

Whats the  :facepalm: for?

Eye In The Sky said:
UNCLAS

CANAIRGEN 011/12

REF: A-DH-265-00/AG-001 CF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS

SUBJECT: ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE (RCAF) FLEECE JACKET

4. THE RCAF FLEECE JACKET IS TO BE WORN WITH APPROPRIATE RANK SLIP-ONS AND NAME TAPES AND IS AUTHORIZED AS AN OUTER GARMENT FOR WEAR OVER OPERATIONAL DRESS, BOTH IN THE WORK AREA AND TO/FROM WORK, BUT NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH DEU.

GnyHwy said:
Especially considering it is winter, and there was no jacket involved.

It is quite different from the Army fleece and is an actual jacket. 

I'm sure there's a quote somewhere about "the bigger the fight, the more petty the issue."*

Military fashion squabbles have to be right up near the top of the list.  :not-again:

* If not, you heard it here first.  Milnet.ca is well worth the subscription price!

Eye In The Sky said:
Whats the  :facepalm: for?

It is quite different from the Army fleece and is an actual jacket.

The  :facepalm: is because I think it is silly.  Simply my opinion.  I am not too worried about it, as dress is so far down my list that it is not really on it.  The troops can show up in flip flops and beach shorts as long as I get my bullets on time and on target.  Just passing on something I heard recently.  Also, the way it was expressed to me made no indication that it was considered to be a jacket (fleece doesn't repel the elements very well)

Besides, I can disagree with any order that I wish... as long as I obey and enforce it.  :)

I'm not arguing either way, just stating what I heard. 

Have good one.

GnyHwy said:
The troops can show up in flip flops and beach shorts as long as I get my bullets on time and on target.
You don't happen to need a Sig, do you?

Ludoc said:
You don't happen to need a Sig, do you?

Nope.  Arty guys do our own VP, but without the Signals Corps I couldn't do my job.  So thanks!

If I happened to have Sigs subordinate to me, they could wear flip flops also, as long as I have comms.  Maybe I'll look you up in a few years.

I know everyone's been waiting on this with bated breath.  ;)

R 082013Z MAR 13
FM NDHQ C AIR FORCE OTTAWA
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 045/13 C AIR FORCE 003/13
SIC WAC
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE (RCAF) FLEECE JACKET DIRECTIVE ON WEAR
REF A. CANAIRGEN 011/12 C AIR FORCE 015/12 1015362 APR 12
B. A-DH-265-00/AG-001 CF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS
1. IAW REF A, THE RCAF PERS SCALE OF ISSUE NOW INCLUDES THE RCAF FLEECE JACKET. SINCE ITS ISSUE, THERE HAS BEEN CONFUSION ON WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE GARMET AND HOW THE GARMENT IS TO BE WORN.  THIS MESSAGE IS THE CLARIFICATION AND DIRECTIVE TO ALL PERS WHO WEAR RCAF BLUE DEU AS WELL AS TO OTHERS WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO WEAR SUBJ GARMENT
2. IAW REF A, THIS JACKET IS AUTHORIZED AS AN OUTER GARMENT, WITH THE PROPER RCAF SLIP ON AND NAME TAPE, FOR WEAR OVER OPERATIONAL DRESS, BOTH IN THE WORK AREA AS WELL AS TO/FROM WORK. IT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR WITH DEU
3. THE FOLLOWING PERS ARE AUTHORIZED ISSUE AND WEAR OF SUBJ GARMENT
A. ALL RCAF BLUE DEU PERS
B. ALL PERS FROM THE RCN OR CA WHO ARE EMPLOYED WITHIN A RCAF UNIT
4. THE GARMENT IS AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR IN THE MANNER IDENTIFIED IN PARA 2, BY ALL RCAF PERS EMPLOYED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING UNITS
A. AN RCAF UNIT
B. RCAF UNITS THAT ARE NOT LODGED ON RCAF WINGS (I.E. 430 SQN LOCATED IN CFB VALCARTIER)
C. RCAF PERS EMPLOYED WITHIN OTHER SERVICE UNITS WILL WEAR THE GARMENT WITH PROPER RCAF SLIP ON AND NAME TAPE IAW THAT UNITS DRESS POLICY (I.E. A RCAF RMS CLERK WORKING IN 2 SERVICE BATTALION OR 3RD BATTALION, R22R)
5. REF A, CF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS, WILL BE AMENDED SHORTLY BY THE OFFICE OF THE RCAF CWO TO REFLECT THE CHANGES.  DIVISION COMMANDERS ARE TO UPDATE THEIR DRESS ORDERS ACCORDINGLY

Occam said:
C. RCAF PERS EMPLOYED WITHIN OTHER SERVICE UNITS WILL WEAR THE GARMENT WITH PROPER RCAF SLIP ON AND NAME TAPE IAW THAT UNITS DRESS POLICY (I.E. A RCAF RMS CLERK WORKING IN 2 SERVICE BATTALION OR 3RD BATTALION, R22R)

Which will be under the CADPAT shirt.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Which will be under the CADPAT shirt.  :nod:

Now bear in mind that I've never had one of these AF fleece jackets, so I'm drawing on what other people are saying - but I think EITS mentioned that it's an actual jacket, not like the Army fleece.  It sounds to me like the AF fleece jacket was never meant to be a next-to-skin item...which would mean you probably won't see anyone wearing it under a CADPAT shirt, they'll just wear the blue t-shirt and stuff the AF fleece jacket in a drawer until they get posted back to civilization an AF wing.

I was on 17 Wing this afternoon. All RCAF pers I observed outdoors was wearing fleece as an outer garment, some with their shirt tails hanging out from underneath. The RSM in me was , shall we say, less than impressed.

That would be my guess as well.  I've had the army fleece before OTing, and the AF fleece isn't the same deal with with a nametape velcro added.  IMO the AF fleece is quit a bit stiffer material as well.  But yes it is a jacket.

Thought I'd add a pic.  Not the best one, but it was the best 'angle' I could get to show the left sleeve pocket and reinforced areas.

You can see, standard nametag/rank (on shoulders).  Most of the jacket is this stiffer fleece they used, has cuffs, mandarin collar.  Pockets and elbows have been reinforced with the same material used on the cbt jacket, parka, etc.

Left upper arm has the pocket, on the outer part of the pocket is double 'pen holder' with a flap over it secured with velcro.

IMO, not a bad piece of kit.  I wore it alot this winter.

Occam said:
which would mean you probably won't see anyone wearing it under a CADPAT shirt, they'll just wear the blue t-shirt and stuff the AF fleece jacket in a drawer until they get posted back to civilization an AF wing.

Yep, you're probably right.

Occam said:
(I.E. A RCAF RMS CLERK WORKING IN 2 SERVICE BATTALION OR 3RD BATTALION, R22R)

If those people are posted to (not "working in") 2 Svc Bn or 3 R22R, then they are members of the CA (the Organization Formerly Known as Land Force Command) and not the RCAF (the Organization Formerly Known as Air Command), regardless of the colour of their dress uniform. We still have only one Service, which is the Canadian Armed Forces. The three re-named Environmental Commands are not separate services.

The RCAF only does these kinds of things because they know the CA will freak out and blow a gasket.

They like to see that throbbing vein on the forehead of guys in green.

It's only a diversion for them ;D

recceguy said:
The RCAF only does these kinds of things because they know the CA will freak out and blow a gasket.

They like to see that throbbing vein on the forehead of guys in green.

It's only a diversion for them ;D

Ha !! I've been on an Air Force base for some time now, and dress is not anywhere near the top of things bothering me...

Some of my concerns have to do with senses:

Sense of entitlement (a big one)
Sense of urgency (the lack of it)
Common sense (still looking for it...)

;)

Back