• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Forage Cap

Pusser said:
Don't get me started on berets with naval service dress.  That is an absolute abomination!!!
FSTO said:
You got that right.

Count me in. The beret belongs onboard ships with the Naval Combat/Garrison/Work uniforms. And even then (IMHO) not for all. Personally, dress regs be damned, I always felt (and had it done in many occasions) that officers and CPO's should wear their service caps (which I have never heard anyone in the Navy refer to as "forage" ) at least in harbour or entering/leaving it. It makes for a sharper look and, most important, It lets the bridge personnel see right away who is in charge of a station or evolution, especially when wearing parkas, floater jackets or canary suits that otherwise don't let us see the ranks.

BTW, educational note here, the hat that in its current form became known as the "forage cap" in the British army (sometimes known as the Brodrick cap for the Minister of the Army who adopted it in 1905) was modeled on the caps then in use in the Royal Navy.

Dimsum said:
That picture is gold, not only b/c of the cap but the general "Why the F are you bothering me" look.  I'm taking it and sending it to my supply/admin/office buddies.

Dimsum, George "Buzz" Beurling, aside from knowing how to properly wear a forage cap, was Canada's leading WWII fighter ace (30+ kills). 

Also in the picture is 427 Squadron's current Honorary Colonel, then F/O Bob Middlemiss.  You can see the difference in personalities in their eyes; Col Middlemiss is an outgoing and social fellow, Beurling was a relatively quiet, lethal, wolf-like hunter.

It's a shame that current Air Force leadership doesn't see the linkage between Air Force tradition and the forage cap...  :(

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
It's a shame that current Air Force leadership doesn't see the linkage between Air Force tradition and the forage cap...  :(

I would much rather we be allowed to wear ballcaps with flightsuits as regular headress.

Good2Golf said:
Sad, really...the forage cap is pretty sharp when WORN CORRECTLY.

There Pusser, I fixed that for you.  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Nahh.  I stand by my original point. Berets have no place in service dress in my mind.  I'll accept it with the Army, but I'd prefer they wore forage caps as well.  :stirpot:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Count me in. The beret belongs onboard ships with the Naval Combat/Garrison/Work uniforms. And even then (IMHO) not for all. Personally, dress regs be damned, I always felt (and had it done in many occasions) that officers and CPO's should wear their service caps (which I have never heard anyone in the Navy refer to as "forage" ) at least in harbour or entering/leaving it. It makes for a sharper look and, most important, It lets the bridge personnel see right away who is in charge of a station or evolution, especially when wearing parkas, floater jackets or canary suits that otherwise don't let us see the ranks.

BTW, educational note here, the hat that in its current form became known as the "forage cap" in the British army (sometimes known as the Brodrick cap for the Minister of the Army who adopted it in 1905) was modeled on the caps then in use in the Royal Navy.

i too agree with wearing service caps ;) with NCDs in certain situations.  The RCN did it.  We did when we wore green and the dress regs even allowed it when we first went to DEU.  I have no idea why we changed.

I called it a "forage cap" because sometimes its just easier to speak to the lowest common denominator and use the term everybody else uses, regardless of its correctness.  Considering that I've met many soldiers with as much service as I have who still can't figure out the naval rank structure (despite the fact that myself and most sailors have figured out the army/air force structure by the time the class has ended) justifies my observation.

My biggest issue with the naval service cap is that it's made of plastic.  I once submitted a proposal to the Maritime Command Clothing and Dress Committee that we go to a frame style cap with a removable cloth cover.  It was rejected because they thought it was unnecessary?  Obviously those folks have never worn one on a hot summer day.  A cloth cover would be much more comfortable and if it was removable it could be washed and/or replaced in order to keep it looking sharp.

Pusser said:
i too agree with wearing service caps ;) with NCDs in certain situations.  The RCN did it.  We did when we wore green and the dress regs even allowed it when we first went to DEU.  I have no idea why we changed.

I called it a "forage cap" because sometimes its just easier to speak to the lowest common denominator and use the term everybody else uses, regardless of its correctness.  Considering that I've met many soldiers with as much service as I have who still can't figure out the naval rank structure (despite the fact that myself and most sailors have figured out the army/air force structure by the time the class has ended) justifies my observation.

My biggest issue with the naval service cap is that it's made of plastic.  I once submitted a proposal to the Maritime Command Clothing and Dress Committee that we go to a frame style cap with a removable cloth cover.  It was rejected because they thought it was unnecessary?  Obviously those folks have never worn one on a hot summer day.  A cloth cover would be much more comfortable and if it was removable it could be washed and/or replaced in order to keep it looking sharp.

Once again I agree with you. In my personnal opinion there are too many chiefs on the Clothing and Dress Committee and many of them have no clue as to fashion sense :stirpot:

Pusser said:
I once submitted a proposal to the Maritime Command Clothing and Dress Committee that we go to a frame style cap with a removable cloth cover.  It was rejected because they thought it was unnecessary?  Obviously those folks have never worn one on a hot summer day.

Yes, I saw one of these belonging to a USN officer in a cloakroom once.  It made ours look like a fireman's helmet in comparison.

Pusser said:
Nahh.  I stand by my original point. Berets have no place in service dress in my mind.  I'll accept it with the Army, but I'd prefer they wore forage caps as well.  :stirpot:

I'm very glad I don't have to wear my forage cap anymore - I DESPISED (and still DESPISE) it...come to think of it, I think I accidentally on purpose disposed of that thing.  And if for some silly reason I decide to switch out to Salt and Peppers, I'll continue to DESPISE it, especially now that there is extra maintenance with the thing compared to the green one.

Spleen smaller.

MM

My only concern with the Air Force having a 'forage cap' is the dress control they would have on it. Unless it was made of some unalterable shape, I suspect many would start looking like overdone 40 mission hats in very short order, whether worn by aircrew or not.

As I remember the base CWO had no problem pointing out the error of our ways.

Getting a new brim, stitching on the brim, or a new cap was a no-go at Supply. Guess they really are trying to stamp them out. Anyone with a spare Jr. Officer one lying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

benny88 said:
Getting a new brim, stitching on the brim, or a new cap was a no-go at Supply. Guess they really are trying to stamp them out. Anyone with a spare Jr. Officer one lying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Here's a suggestion.  Try the original manufacturer - okay, the tag within your current hat may simply say "Logistik", but it may be likely that it was built by William Scully Ltd.  They are probably still the leading manufacturer of uniform hats in Canada.

Years ago, my immediate boss did not like the "foam top" service dress cap that he was issued when promoted to major; he much preferred the look of his older style CF green forage cap.  He solved the problem by having Scully refurbish his existing cap and changing the braid.  They may still provide that service, but it may not be cheap.  However, since you currently have (I assume) an unadorned brim, it might not be much to affix junior officer braid.  They might also have unsold caps.

Got my forage cap returned from William Scully with the Jr. Officer peak sewn on the other day, looks great! Got it the same day we were rebranded the RCAF, coincidence?  :)

I fear it may be on it's way out completely, but I'm going to keep wearing it when I can, hopefully others get on board before we lose it for good.

I was toying with the idea of getting one.  One of the guys at my squadron has it and wore it at our change of command parade.  He was the MC, which is probably the only way he got away with it.  He said he got it off eBay from someone who'd bought up a bunch from Logistik when they still offered them.

Think I could get a brand new one from Scully's?

biggs said:

Yup.

http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/v/Products/caps+and+headwear/3-5000_Canadian_Forces_Air_001.jpg.html

biggs said:

What size is your head - I'll grab my junior officer hat from my kids dress up box and sell it to you.

Zoomie said:
What size is your head - I'll grab my junior officer hat from my kids dress up box and sell it to you.

benny88 said:
Anyone with a spare Jr. Officer one lying around, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Where were you a few weeks ago?!

Zoomie said:

That'd be the ticket! It should have that 40 mission look built right in by now ;D

Back