• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AIRPORT SECURITY IN 1A'S

I know for a fact that most of the men that work at the Halifax airport security are retired navy and know all about what metal is in a uniform. 

Sometimes its quicker to wait in the longer line for the english person.  Yes I know it may come across as racist.

I wouldn't call it racist as it has nothing to do with race, but comfortability of speaking to someone and having them understand you completely and the same vice-versa. Makes things more efficient.

axeman said:
So there I was repatreated  early from Afghanistan  in 2002  by 2 weeks and was flown back ahead .  2 barracks boxes 1 rucksak webgear .flackvest w plates duffle bag. and small carry on . Present my Canadian Green passport. and get a "WELCOME TO CANADA , HOW LONG WILL YOU BE STAYING? " from there it went down hill. after gettting someone that speaks english as a Primary language i got to explain im returning from Ops and will be staying here in my home town in Edmonton when i get there. . How long sir . Christ man i live there . Why do you have a green passport ? its what they issued me  .Who issued the goverment im with the DND just getting back from Afghanistan .   .OH is this all yours. YUP all my fighting gear. all the stuff of the trade.  hey how long will this take i have another flight to make in 2 hours. ?  well we' will see if you can make that flight   want to pop all those locks off ad let us look ? not if you dont want to make me miss my flight ..  etc in the end after getting the assisnt chief there i was allowed to only open my day bag ruck sack and then xray everything.  i had the why are there explosives in your kit  probably from all the crap i blew up on the range.... what a pain that airport is maybe if they were originally from this country i might have less hassles getting back into our country

Geez, my experience was just soooooooo much nicer than yours!! I'll guess it's my charm and red hair!!  ;D

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/66131/post-615193.html#msg615193

I suspect that CBSA has gone through its share of growing pains since 9/11; which included a rush to hire staff/contractors who were less than 100% up to their job, or who required a long learning curve.  Somewhat like the CF in Afghanistan.

I travel through a lot of airports and have found a marked difference in security/CBSA now, from what it was in 2001/2002.  Heading back to Afghanistan in 2003 I managed to 'swipe' positive for the explosive residue test at the Ottawa airport.  The results were kind of comical.  The CBSA/contractor folks were very 'cool' once they heard where I was heading back to, and where the bag had been.  They were very professional, and even asked if I didn't mind being slightly delayed so they could use this as a training experience for some of their new staff.  With an hour until my flight, I told them to fill their boots, just make sure I get my bag back.  It had presents for folks in theatre.

Came home via Dubai to Detroit, USA. In civies. Stood in line with the rest of the cattle. Got shuffled into another line. Walked up to US immigration booth, handed over my green (Canadian) passport. 10 second look at me, my passport and a look down at my bags. "Welcome home & thanks" stamped my book and an airport courier carried my bag to the front door, walked me to the front of the line and put me in the first cab. Same going back out. They couldn't do enough for me, even though I was coach, they gave me all the perks of first class (except the seat ;) )

recceguy said:
Came home via Dubai to Detroit, USA. In civies. Stood in line with the rest of the cattle. Got shuffled into another line. Walked up to US immigration booth, handed over my green (Canadian) passport. 10 second look at me, my passport and a look down at my bags. "Welcome home & thanks" stamped my book and an airport courier carried my bag to the front door, walked me to the front of the line and put me in the first cab. Same going back out. They couldn't do enough for me, even though I was coach, they gave me all the perks of first class (except the seat ;) )

Same with me.
I came in via Ottawa,the customs guys waved me out of the cattle line into a side booth.Thought I was going to get searched.Seen my passport and asked where I was coming from. I told him and he said that's what him and his friend had thought by my appearance.Asked me the usual questions that were needed,and when he got to tobacco and wine I told him I had 8 cartons of smokes.He then ticked off 2 cartons and welcomed me back.

Some people will have to realize that being in the CF does not get you any special treatment at an airport. My trade creates the need to travel to many different places throughout the globe. I have been searched by every security counter I have gone through regardless if I was on the crew list for a military flight or travelling by commercial means. We were in Bermuda a copuple of years ago and were quite extensively searched before going to the aircraft eventhough we were only one of two aircraft on the ramp at the time and were all on the crew list. If you get searched in Trenton, Greenwood, Winnipeg or any other Military terminal then why should you expect to get a free pass in a commercial terminal?

Meh... It's the equivalent of someone who is a LEO - gets stopped for speeding OR alcohol - and hopes that the flash of a badge, a nod or a wink - and you get to play your "get out of jail" card.

It doesn't work that way.  You will be & you should be held to no less a standard than everyone else.

I imagine the days when wearing a military uniform in public would get you much more than a free coffee at Tim Horton's on Remembrance Day are mostly gone, stand fast a few stories shared in this thread.  Anybody working in a security role is likely to have to account to his or her supervisor for any bending of the rules, and besides that there's no guarantee that a CF uniform will be recognized in the first place: haven't we all seen sailors mistaken for Commissionaires or air force members mistaken for bus drivers?  (I saw this happen to an air force LCol once!)

There's a story, maybe true or not, about the MARLANT of the day taking his dog for a walk in the Halifax dockyard on a Sunday morning in civilian clothes.  He was, so the story goes, challenged by a quite junior-ranking person and replied along the lines of "Don't you know who I am?  Well you should!"  If the story is correct, the Admiral sought to have this lad charged over it, but was dissuaded with the explanation that it would probably discourage anyone else from challenging an unknown person in the dockyard and take a significant bite out of the security there.

True or not, it does provide an example of why airport security staff have to stick to the book -- however unreasonable the book may seem to be.

My wife and I recieved a free meal a couple days before Nov 11 last year.  One of the rare times I wore my uniform actually.

All,
It is clear that epdanir took the wrong approach in this incident.  That position has been made clear now by the many comments.  There is no requirement for respondents to become beligerant & demeaning in pointing this out to him.

If your post is missing, it is becease it fits the above and resulted in the moderators recieving a handful of complaints.

Cheers,
The Staff.

Neill McKay said:
There's a story, maybe true or not, about the MARLANT of the day taking his dog for a walk in the Halifax dockyard on a Sunday morning in civilian clothes.  He was, so the story goes, challenged by a quite junior-ranking person and replied along the lines of "Don't you know who I am?  Well you should!"  If the story is correct, the Admiral sought to have this lad charged over it, but was dissuaded with the explanation that it would probably discourage anyone else from challenging an unknown person in the dockyard and take a significant bite out of the security there.

It reminds me of the story Of Gen. Hillier at a base somewhere on the Atlantic coast (can't remember where exactly), where he was challenged for the password of the day and didn't know it. Story states that the young MP then proceeded to tackle the CDS. All that was said by the General was "Goon on ya bye, you were just doing your job." I think it was in a thread somewhere else here, but I'm not too sure where. Point being is that security is there for a reason, and these folks are just doing their job. It happens, but they do try to accommodate when they can.

Of course the standard procedure is to not use the challenge if you recognize the person you are challenging as it just risks someone else hearing and compromising it..

OK,

Airport security aside - when I did travel in uniform I never had any issues and recieved LOTS of compliments from Granmas (mind you this was Pre-911). 

One time - was driving along in my Pathfinder and I was pulled over by 4 cop cars.  With spotlights blinding me and guns drawn they ordered me out of the car (I'm a brown guy driving in an upper-class neighborhood in Toronto).  I was ordered to the ground face first and one officer asked permission to reach in and grabbed my wallet while the other cops searched my vehicle.  Visibly pissed off I asked what was going on.  They tell me they are looking for someone that matches my profile (dark I guess) and vehicle description.  Anyway, when the officer saw my military ID he whistled to his boys and they came over and took a look.  With wide eyed policia looking at each other a little surprised, I was quickly helped up, brushed off, apologized to profusely and then I spent a good 10 minutes chatting with the fellows.  Basically there was a rash of break-ins during the week with witnesses identifying a Maroon coloured Pathfinder fleeing in one instance driven by a fellow with similar profile to myself minus the glasses.  Point being...the CF ID cards carries weight wherever you go but you'll always be subject to scrutiny by civilian law enforcement and you just have to play along nicely.  Although ticked off at the time I understand they were just doing their jobs.

True story...

J

In December I bumped into and old buddy of mine in the Winnipeg airport. He was working security and we got to catch up on some old times as he patted me down. Last time I saw him was in Germany and he was my driver. He still made me take off my shoes though.

But ...Here is some tips for you guys the next time you travel.
Wear soft shoes.
Loose realaxing clothing (leave the studded belt with the rodeo belt buckle at home)
Take your jacket off put it through the x ray machine.
Smile and be nice.
While you are waiting in line to go through security take the time to go through all your pockets and put your junk in your carry on (nothing worse than some tool who has change in his pocket)
Speaking of tools. Does anyone else play the game "spot the army guy" at the airport. I usually try to go incognito but I can pick out the army dudes a mile away

Pearson is easy to play that game in.. they all hang out in the same spot!!  You can play that game in the malls near bases too..

Bzzliteyr said:
You can play that game in the malls near bases too..

Is it cause they all go shopping while wearing smallpacks?  ;D

i got off real easy on my recent flight from Winnipeg to Vancouver. i'm not in the Armed Forces, but my interview is June 24th for Infantry ;D.

my sister and I were flying out to BC to visit our Dad, going through security in Winnipeg i got asked if the security agent could search through my carry on bag. i gave him permission and he found my Swiss army knife that i thought i had lost. i swear i went through the bag before i packed it :-[ i expected to be hauled away and strip searched with a cavity search. The guy was cool about it and asked what i wanted to do with it. i just relinquished it to the Government, and was on my way. it would have cost me $5 a day to hold it in a locker, i was gonna be gone for 2 weeks. knife wasn't worth that much hehe.

Back