• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AIRPORT SECURITY IN 1A'S

I've been through Winnipeg several times (I live there) and have never had a problem.
I would encourage you though, to not use your CADPAT patrol packs as carry on. They are a dead...(excuse the pun) giveaway.
I remember in the 80's, three USN divers were murdered by terrorists because they were not carrying passports, but USN ID cards only, in the Middle East. The ID cards were their death warrants.
I don't mean to cast a pall over this thread, but if you are travelling internationally, the blue passport is the the best document. Within Canada, use the driver's license first, with the military ID as a backup. If a terrorist cell knows you are military, you'll be the first targetted for death.

I never thought of that..I like to flash it to impress the ladies.. but I'd hate to die because of it.  On a side not, does my Kandahar ball cap count as well?  I mean, I can always pretend my brother gave it to me...

When I am boarding at a gate, I kind of use it to inform the crew of who I am so if they need me for anything they kind of know ahead of time.

The best way to info the crew is to let them know when you board.
Many years ago, some members of the CAR went to England to go on ex with the Paras. They showed up at Heathrow, wearing CAR t-shirts and the Paras politely told them to get those shirts off.....they wer making targets of themselves due to IRA threats.
While the IRA didn't like Brit Army to start with, they particularly hated the Paras and the SAS.
My lesson is.....try not to wear anything that ID's you as a military member while travelling on civvy air. Blend in with your surroundings as much as possible. I understand its a hard thing to swallow, but, for your safety.....

I don't mind the security and the checks.  I do wish, as others have stated that there was a little more uniformity in it but what can you do.  What does bother me in a big way are the people that work for CATSA.

Going on Ex in the States not so long ago, We were using a comercial Airport, but were getting on a DND Airbus.  150 troops with rifles, pistols all the usual tools of the trade for a Light Inf Coy.  The CATSA lady looks at all the junk I have and without blinking tells me I can't take a Gerber on the Aircraft.  Appearantly a rifle and pistol is not a big deal, but the gerber had to go. (Air movements guys are just shaking there heads at this point and shrugging)

Canada Customs are not better, in many ways worse:

I was returning from a tour as a one off, I land in TO and had to clear customs.  Standing there in Freshly issued DEU 3, nice Canadian Flag on the arm, GREEN passport, Military ID Card and a DND Courier Certificate.  All this gets presented to the Canada Customs agent.  First words I hear "Welcome to Canada, How long will you be staying in My country have a nice visit."

That is one thing I agree with Old and Tired. They pay these people next to nothing, consequently you get the lowest qualified applicants. Anyone with any sense or potential move on to the police etc.
CBSA (some of them) need a good swift kick.....in the a$$

Old and Tired said:
I was returning from a tour as a one off, I land in TO and had to clear customs.  Standing there in Freshly issued DEU 3, nice Canadian Flag on the arm, GREEN passport, Military ID Card and a DND Courier Certificate.  All this gets presented to the Canada Customs agent.  First words I hear "Welcome to Canada, How long will you be staying in My country have a nice visit."

I had that happen, except it was not "Welcome to Canada", but "Welcome to My Country" in a strong Pakistani accent.  I wondered what country I was defending.

I guess 'old' habits are hard to break.

That is one thing I agree with Old and Tired. They pay these people next to nothing, consequently you get the lowest qualified applicants. Anyone with any sense or potential move on to the police etc.
CBSA (some of them) need a good swift kick.....in the a$
$

OldSolduer,
Can you elaborate or expand what you mean by this. As a CBSA Officer I take this as an insult. I know I may be a lowly qualified CBSA (not quite to the Police standard), but the RCMP thinks I am qualified enough to teach or re-qualify their ERT, Air Carriers and GD members on use of force etc...

Please enlighten me.

I echo WR's sentiments. I worked as a PIL bot at an airport as a CBSA member. Do tell, I am more then interested in what you've got to say.

I'm not referring to CBSA as a whole, just some individuals who are somewhat less than professional. They are rude and appear to be arrogant when dealing with the public. When I go through Customs to gain entry back in to Canada from an overseas mission, and get treated with derision and disdain by one of your officers, it casts a pall over all of you.
I apologize if I have insulted you in any way, shape or form.

Stereotypes are OK in your world? ???
I guess I can say the same thing when I was in Winnipeg last week and I got cut off in traffic ...everyone from that city is a bad driver and are asshats...or I can say I have met a couple of less than stellar CSM's, so they must all be abusive and low brow....or I can say many other things, but what an intelligent person does  is differentiate between a few bad apples and the majority. If you judge 6500 + Officers from a couple of negatives interactions. How is that fair? Or if most of your dealings with the CBSA are negative...could it be your fault????  ::)

WR said:
Stereotypes are OK in your world? ???
I guess I can say the same thing when I was in Winnipeg last week and I got cut off in traffic ...everyone from that city is a bad driver and are asshats...or I can say I have met a couple of less than stellar CSM's, so they must all be abusive and low brow....or I can say many other things, but what an intelligent person does  is differentiate between a few bad apples and the majority. If you judge 6500 + Officers from a couple of negatives interactions. How is that fair? Or if most of your dealings with the CBSA are negative...could it be your fault????  ::)

but everyone from Winnipeg are bad drivers and most are asshats, that's not a stereotype ;)

I was going to mention the competency of Montreal drivers but figured everyone knows about Quebec already!!

George Wallace said:
I had that happen, except it was not "Welcome to Canada", but "Welcome to My Country" in a strong Pakistani accent.  I wondered what country I was defending.
Been there and lived that as well. We were still wearing our UN Blue beret's in TO when I was told the "Welcome To My Country". This is where I politely stated the obvious, "You see that my passport is Canadian, that I am in the Canadian military?, Yes he responded and I simply replied "The perhaps saying Welcome Home vice of being in your country would be more suitable do you not agreee?". He nodded, apologized and from that point on simply said Welcome Home to all the others.

Did any of you notice the apology for my wording? No....you didn't notice.

I said that some CBSA were rude and less than professional and that when that happens they cast a pall over all CBSA.
We in the military are told that ALL THE TIME. What you do in uniform reflects on all.

I guess I missed that briefing in that you should be afforded special treatment whenever you reenter Canada. We as an Agency will try harder next time. We try to be perfect, but sometimes we fail.  :'(
Please accept heartfelt  apologies from Stephen Rigby.  ::)

Bzzliteyr said:
I was going to mention the competency of Montreal drivers but figured everyone knows about Quebec already!!
If you can't drive in Montreal, you Can't drive in Rome, Paris, New York .... and a couple of other places where no one appears to know what the turn signals and brakes are designed for...

WR said:
I guess I missed that briefing in that you should be afforded special treatment whenever you reenter Canada. We as an Agency will try harder next time. We try to be perfect, but sometimes we fail.   :'(
Please accept heartfelt  apologies from Stephen Rigby.  ::)

I don't know about briefings, but one would think the obvious Canada Flag and CF accoutraments on the "Uniform", would clearly identify a person as not being a foreign visitor.

George Wallace said:
I don't know about briefings, but one would think the obvious Canada Flag and CF accoutraments, would identify a person as not being a foreign visitor.
Not that more would be required, but you forgot about the Canadian Passport with states your Canadian Citizenship.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters if you showed up with all the supporting documentation in the world and wrapped in the flag, everyone should be subject to the same initial standard of investigation.  Plain and simple.  No special treatment for anyone.

Back