• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All About PAT (merged)

Yes and No..it will depend on the unit.....

As an example my Regiment next training year will be setting up an "Indoctrination Troop" to gather all the no Engineer qualified troops and get them ready for their trades course...

sharki9876 said:
Is this only for Regular Force?

Pretty much. Personnel Awaiting Training sections or platoons in the Reg Force are used to keep members busy while they await the start of their next course as it could be weeks or months before the next available serial. It is simply a "Holding Platoon" where PT is conducted, usual jobs like cleaning shacks and inspections, and ongoing training of weapons, drill, whatever the PAT Staff can come up with. Usually RegF PAT are found at training schools not at units, sometimes once a mbr has completed a certain amount of training (usually their trades course), they are sent back to their units between courses so they can perform their jobs.

For the Reserves, some units have PAT Sections/Platoons but it is simply a place where they keep all recruits that have yet to complete their basic qualifications simply for ease of delivering training information and refresher training on drill, C7, uniforms - very basic stuff. Some units don't though, Friend of mine polished brass parade markers and other odd jobs around the Armoury almost every Wednesday night for a month until he started BMQ. That's about it.

Thank you for the info. Looks like no one Reserve unit does everything the same.  :bullet: :bullet: :bullet: :bullet: :bullet: :bullet: :bullet:

As it is the place they park you when they don't know what to do with you, it gave rise to the expression "Just sit pat, OK!". :)

I got my posting message for where I'll be headed after I finish bmq on the 26th and they have me going to PSTC Kingston. I'm assuming it'll be PAT until room opens up at the CFSCE. Has anyone here ever been posted there that can give me some ideas what it's like?

All I've been able to find out is that it's generally where deployment training and courses like psyops are taken. I open this hasn't been asked before, I searched around quite a bit but couldn't find much and I'm the only recruit from both graduating platoons heading there.

Hey everyone, I was just curious if anyone had any info on when the next SQ dates are. I'm slated to graduate BMQ on June 2nd, and know that I need to complete SQ and driver training before heading to CFSME, and from what I've been told their is a class starting in July. My question: is there a chance I wont be on PAT and just go right through?

So if you get posted to a PAT unit it will be up to your training WO to load you into said SQ course , factors that might get in the way of this would be A) the course is already loaded B) There are others ahead of your waiting for said SQ C) IF a & b are true then you will be on PAT until the next course comes around.

Don't be in a hurry , your SQ will happen and all subsequent training will come your way....

I was stuck on PAT for 6 months waiting for my Top secret security clearance it was a good opportunity to better yourself by getting to know more about the workings of the CF and to physically prepare yourself to make SQ easier , get into even better shape ! 

And to add, PAT can have interesting GD tasks waiting for someone to volunteer -- let your PAT chain of command (CoC) know if you have a desired task to go on before they assign one you don't want - or make you sit around bored.  For an upcoming ex, an exercise in Gagetown needed extra MSVS qualified 404 drivers on short notice.  My brother overhead of the situation and asked his PAT staff about the ex. He was attached out to the ex within the week to get MSVS training and be added to the MSVS driver pool.  That got my brother out of the PAT holding area for two months on a tasking he enjoyed ad got bonus training out of it.  Before this he was getting way to miserable due silly odd jobs; but it was his fault he wasn't properly leveraging his situation at PAT and engaging his CoC.

For those unassigned, if you are a gym/PT rat, PAT is a good spot to get the cardio and strength a major make-over.

Thanks for the info! I just thought it was meaningless task mostly but nice to know I can do other things too.

So I am a rather fresh recruit from basic training and am currently awaiting my course to start in July. Apart from cleaning and other odd-jobs I have a fair amount of free time during my time at work.

I have regular access to a computer with DWAN access and am looking for courses that will look good on my PDR (PER?), or just courses that are mandatory for most members to complete so I won't need to do them for a while once I'm trained.

So far I've only done the WHMIS course. I'm a met tech.

DLN is your friend.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-elearning/dln.page

Why not submit an ILP and get funding for some distance university courses? If that is a route you ever want to take, it would be a great use of time.

Doent have to be just university...a guy in my last shop did some certified accounting courses

There are the Individual Battle Task Standard (IBTS) that are on DWAN - DLN.  Not exciting after doing them 10 times, but might be interesting for a new Avr who is seeing the material for the first time.  The ones online are: (read in Name / Individual Standards Level / Length of time qualification is good for)

CBRN Theory                 IS1 36 months
LOAC/Code of Conduct IS3 24 months
The Use of Force         IS3 24 months
Apply Media Awareness IS2 36 months
Recognize AFV and Aircraft IS3 24 months
Negotiate and Investigate IS1 24 months
Apply Stress Management IS3 24 months
Apply Preventive Medicine IS2 36 months
Information Security         IS2 24 months
Conduct after Capture        IS1 24 months

Enjoy...

MC

Not something that will get you a MITE code on your MPRR, but there is also the RCAF Weather Handbook and workbook available.  ;D

Hi guys,

I'm leaving for pat platoon awaiting ql3 for combat engineer next week. I was told there were no joining instructions. I am driving myself in a pmov from Nfld to gagetown. I have no kit issued yet and it's been a couple years since I did bmq and bmq-l in the reserves. Now reg force.

What should I bring with me? Should I bother with much civilian clothes and such?

Thanks

Good morning. You will be on pat until you are course loaded for your ql3 course. I would bring enough civie clothes with you to wear until you get kitted. Usually within the first few days of being on pat. You will also need civie clothes for your locker inspections and layout. Civie shorts for pt, civie pt shirts, dress pants, and dress shirts. Other than that its really all you need layout wise.

Once you get on pat, everything will be explained to you as to what's happening, when the next courses are running etc

krimynal said:
congrats on the position :) !

thanks i'm looking forward to it. Even better that I don't have to redo basic again and get to go directly to ql3. I've been curious. My VIE is four years. At the end of that do they reevaluate my work to decide whether or not to offer me another contract? Obviously I plan on being dedicated to the armed forces and doing my absolute best, just curious as to how often someone who wants to continue serving would get denied that option?

Gsc023 said:
My VIE is four years. At the end of that do they reevaluate my work to decide whether or not to offer me another contract?

You can search the Terms of Service ( TOS ) discussions.

This is one of many,
http://army.ca/forums/threads/114939/post-1306987.html#msg1306987

See also,

TERMS of SERVICE

A TOS is a contract between a member and the Canadian Forces to provide military service until lawfully released.
The Canadian Forces offers its Regular Force members four different Terms of Service contracts.
1. Variable Initial Engagement Contract
When Regular Force members first join the Canadian Forces they sign an initial contract, which is
called the Variable Initial Engagement (VIE).
This contract can range in length from three to nine years not including subsidized training or
education. The length varies depending on the occupation, the needs of each occupation, and the
training time that is required for that occupation.
2. Indefinite Period of Service contract
After the Variable Initial Engagement has been completed, if members decide to continue their
military career they are provided with an Indefinite Period of Service contract or a Continuing
Engagement contract.
An Indefinite Period of Service (IPS) is a contract where service is extended until he/she is legally
released. (60th birthday).
3. Intermediate Engagement 25yr
An Intermediate Engagement 25 Year (IE25) is a fixed period of service in the Regular Force of 25
years of continuous service, followed by an IPS until he/she is legally released.
4. Continuing Engagement Contract
A Continuing Engagement (CE) refers to a fixed period of service of variable duration that can be
offered as an extension of any term of service until he/she is legally released.
https://www.familyforce.ca/sites/London/EN/Documents/CF-101%20for%20Civilians%20EN.pdf

Back