• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Flight Engineer (merged)

R

RD

Hey,
Does anyone know what a Flight Engineer does? And how do you become one?

You cannot join the CF to become a Flight Engineer, much like SAR Techs or JTF, you have to transfer to that trade from within.

As to what they do..... Every aircraft in the CF flight has at least one FE (flight engineer) except of course for our single-man cockpit aircraft (ie. CF-18, CT-156, etc) Their job is to ensure that the aircraft is flight-worthy and ready to go. They also help with in flight maintenance of aircraft ancillaries (ie fuel balancing, electrical systems) as well as monitoring the engine gauges. The FE‘s that you find on board the CC-130 Hercules or CP-140 Aurora are the most senior FE‘s in the CF. Typical FE‘s start out as Corporal‘s on the Griffon or other smaller aircraft. In order to be a Herc/Aurora FE, you have to be a Sergeant.
Good trade to get into, very technical, yet also operational active.

Oh, and one last thing... You‘ll have to join the airforce in order to be one...! :D

Wow. Thanks for the detailed information. But one more thing. What position do I apply for?
Example: to be a Combat Diver you have to be a Field Engineer.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed information. But one more thing. What position do I apply for?

Try a technical trade like Airframe Technician, good start...

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your help guys.
Sorry about the accidental spam.

First off, Mods feel free to throw this in the recruiting forum. reason I put this here, is Im leaning more towards info on the trade, rather than joining it. i did a search, but came up with a big goose egg.

I have been in Griffons before, and couldnt help but notice the fellow sitting in the back with me. I believe his job title is "Flight Engineer" or possibly "technician". Could someone please set me straight?

The trade wasnt on the DND site, or at least i didnt find anything. All im really looking for is what exactly these guys do, how demanding such a job is and whether or not anyone here is in fact one. I couldnt help but be fascinated by this mans job, I almost felt jealous when we dropped off. Kinda like at the fair, getting kicked off the ride and having you're buddies get an extra turn.  :D

Flight Engineer is the name of the trade. The reason you didn't find any info on the recruiting site is the same reason that you don't find info on SAR Techs or AESOps, it's a remuster only trade and at that, the only people that can remuster to FE are AVN techs.

The FEs do a lot of the calculations and aircraft field inspections. They'll do weight and balance calcs, they're the ground crew for the starts (for Griffons anyway), and they do most of the preflight and post flight inspections. Since they're all former AVN techs, they're quite knowledgeable about the aircraft and it's systems. They can provide a better analysis of a problem since they'll know the machine far better than the front enders can. We don't have FEs in the Sea Kings so the pilots end up doing all that stuff. Zoomie may be able to provide a little insight from the fixed wing world on what they do since the Auroras, Hercs and I believe the Buffs all have FEs as well.

That about sums it up, oh yeah, one more thing...... They're also the door gunners on the Griffons! GET SOME!

I did my OJT at 403 sqn with the griffon FE's and did the FE course ground school with them.   Its a pretty good trade.   You have to be an AVN tech for 6 years before you can OT to this occupation.   Once selected you do the basic FE course in trenton, then you have to do the AVN and AVS courses for the aircraft you are going to fly then the on-type flying course. the course that was running in gagetown when i was there started with 3 students and graduated one !

CDN Aviator said:
the course that was running in gagetown when i was there started with 3 students and graduated one !

Why? Is it that difficult a course?

With  the new A/C that are coming out we hear rumours and rumblings from both the FE and the Nav trades. Neither the C-17 not the C-130J are slotted to have anyone in those positions. Basically its a three man crew Pilot, Co-pilot and Loadmaster.

Are there any rumours of what these trades are doing to keep their empires? I know the  Traffic Tech trade has done a good job at keeping the loadie positions safe for now, however what does the future hold.

I for one would like to keep the loadie position a 933 trade. But that's just me. (hey I am a 933  ;) ) And I would hate to see these positions taken away just to keep navs employed.

Well, still on the official rumor side of things. I have two good friends that are Sgt FE's, one on hercs in Trenton. The other just leaving hercs in winnipeg for Comox.

Both say word from the top is that no FE's are loaded on C17's but the loadmaster trade is low on numbers, so FE's may fill Loadie positions. One says the FE is a dying trade. The other says not in our career span. Rotary wing still needs someone to sit at the gun in the back and the Chinooks are better crewed with someone in the back. The tech crewman thing doesn't work well because many techs will say its not in their pay grade or job description to ride in the back manning a gun.

Mover1, how's your hat? lol. :salute:

On the Buff and Twin Otter there are no loadies. The FE does all those jobs, load planning, cargo loading and unloading, cargo securing, weight & balance, pax handling, dangerous cargo, meal preps etc... The point is that FEs do have the skill set to do those jobs, plus we bring A/C servicing and maintenance to the table as well as the maintenance realease authority qualification. The cockpit / checklist handling is just one of the jobs we do. With the new A/C coming on line the job of the FE in the cockpit is diminishing if not disappearing altogether. In those remote locations away from MOBs someones going to have to fuel, check and carry out minor repairs on these new A/C. There are always those occasions when that third set eyes/hands in the cockpit are invaluable i.e. emergencies, low level nav, etc...
As for how these new A/C are going to be manned is for higher HQ to decide, but I think FEs bring a lot to bring to the table.

RR my hat needs a washin'.  :-X

Our career shop is pumping out aircrew messages like madmen. Just talking to one of the guys who went C-17 and it looks like the 3 man crew is the way its going to go. Loadie is trained in light servicing and checklists, but mostly its all done by computer.

He also mentioned that some countries are sending Admin Clerks to do the training.
Either way. I have my message in my hand. So I am happy  ;D

There was a rumour a couple of months ago that they were going to load a couple of FE's onto the C17 Loadmaster Course.  I haven't really heard anything since.  The arguement was that the position was not a pure LM or FE but more of a flight-master or load-engineer.  IMO, the more the merrier.

The FE CM was through winterpeg this week and confirmed that intent is to load Cpl FE's on the C17 in an LM, servicing position. Wonder how you'd get your wings then, if it's your first FE post.

I was talking to the recruiting center, they said that AVS can also now become FE, same as AVN. Anyone shed any light on this ?

And yeah, Im bumping a old post :p

Doing the C-17 course right now. And there is no requirement on this thing for an FE.
Most of the training has been focused on load restraint and Emergency procedures. A little background on hydraulics and electrical, plus some of the systems. However its mostly geared to what we use in the back of the A/C. 
The position on the plane is mostly loadie in nature and employing a perfectly good 500 series tech would be a waste of a trained body that could be used somewhere else.

Back