• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things GPS (recommendations, tips, etc.) - merged

Where abouts do you have your GPS?

• In a pocket in the tacvest

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • On a pouch attached to the outside of the tacvest

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • On your wrist (wrist gps)

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Attached to your rifle

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • In or mounted on a vehicle

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Multiple positions or other

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Just carry a compass

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
Hi, I understand this is a old topic, but if any one still looks here, here is my question:

Has any one tried the Garmin Fenix GPS watch? Or any new Suunto GPS watch?

Advice? Ideas? Thanks.

Might as well tag this on here.

I'm looking at replacing my Garmin Etrex Vista but can't decide between the;
new remodeled Garmin ETrex 30 [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87774  ]  or
the  Garmin Oregon 450  [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63349 ]

I'm pretty comfortable with the Etrex design but find that putting a lot of nav points in on the go or in a hurry can be tedious and was thinking a touch screen might be faster.

That said I'm not sure how reliable touch screen GPS's are plus the Orego 450 is the bottom end of that model line.

Any suggestions?

I'm an owner of and huge fan of the GPSMAP 62s.  Awesome GPSr.  I opted for the better antenna over touchscreen.  Glad I went with the 62s.

Nice. A better antenna makes a great argument, that might be a little out of the allowable price range, still with that site you're saying $150.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm looking at replacing my Garmin Etrex Vista but can't decide between the;
new remodeled Garmin ETrex 30 [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87774  ]  or
the  Garmin Oregon 450  [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63349 ]

I'm pretty comfortable with the Etrex design but find that putting a lot of nav points in on the go or in a hurry can be tedious and was thinking a touch screen might be faster.

That said I'm not sure how reliable touch screen GPS's are plus the Orego 450 is the bottom end of that model line.

Any suggestions?

I have owned an Oregon 200 for four years, and it still runs like new. I use it all the time. It is discontinued now, but if I was to change it, I would stay in the same line and get another Oregon.

grandin105 said:
Hi, I understand this is a old topic, but if any one still looks here, here is my question:

Has any one tried the Garmin Fenix GPS watch? Or any new Suunto GPS watch?

Advice? Ideas? Thanks.

Might be a moot response, but:  I'm a pretty big fan of the Garmin Fenix and it replaced a stolen Garmin Foretrex 401.  It's small, compact, and can take its fair share of abuse.  The only disadvantage I've found is it has its own unique method of charging (Via USB, which requires a power source), which a GPS with simple AAA requirements doesn't have to deal with.  Even still, the buttons are big enough to use with gloves, and it doesn't restrict wrist movement.  Can't really speak to the Suunto GPS, but it seemed to be popular with others.

All I want is a button to turn the GPS on, and a button to give me a 10 fig grid.

I don't need to be able to upload maps, plot grids, shoot bearings, etc etc. All of those applications take mere seconds to pull out a map and compass.

I am looking for a small personal GPS that I can keep in the pack until something happens and I need an immediate 10 figure grid and a resection is out of the question..

Any suggestions?

My Garmin Rino 655T will do that, but it has too many bells and whistles. It might befuddle an infanteer. ;D

Exactly! I need a fool proof two button system. I don't want to try and find a grid and accidentally reroute some NASA satellite and end up more lost. (That being said I never get lost)

Poacher434 said:
Exactly! I need a fool proof two button system. I don't want to try and find a grid and accidentally reroute some NASA satellite and end up more lost. (That being said I never get lost)

Sir Sir we got a Satellite on the loose !!!

Gawd Freaging damnit , poacher's at it again !

Garmin Foretrex 401

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/foretrex-401/prod30026.html

Wears like a watch, no fuss no muss! I saw them in the CANEX in Edmonton for about $150.

Just a thought, do you have a smartphone.  Many have gps and map apps built in.  Maybe that will suit your needs
Just a thought.

Tom

Poacher434 said:
Unfortunately phones are a hit and miss in a lot of training areas

Have you tried Tac Nav? I know it is available on Android, likely iphone as well. I've found it works pretty well where I've been. It is around $5 but it was very good purchase.

Poacher434 said:
All I want is a button to turn the GPS on, and a button to give me a 10 fig grid.

I don't need to be able to upload maps, plot grids, shoot bearings, etc etc. All of those applications take mere seconds to pull out a map and compass.

I am looking for a small personal GPS that I can keep in the pack until something happens and I need an immediate 10 figure grid and a resection is out of the question..

Any suggestions?

As per a prior recommendation, definitely consider the Garmin Foretrex 401. Uses 2 aaa batteries, has been super reliable for me and is small and light. I usually keep mine attached to the tacvest rather than on my wrist but that's just a preference. They do eat batteries in cold weather unless you use lithiums which can be hard to find (and expensive) in aaa size.

I see they are available on amazon.ca for $220 CAD ish.

runormal said:
Have you tried Tac Nav? I know it is available on Android, likely iphone as well. I've found it works pretty well where I've been. It is around $5 but it was very good purchase.

i've been using an app called grid nav. Its free, gives me a nice 10 figure grid and have had no issues at any location in the pet, wainwright, borden, and meaford training areas.

If you are looking for a bit more options but still free....get GPS test. This app has been extremely valuable especially when fault finding the M777 GPS.

Other than that, I'll also recommend the Garmin Foretrex....great little GPS!

Thanks for the GPS recommendations, always good to have to spares. I just downloaded those.

Back