• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things LASIK surgery (aircrew/other -- merged)

This might seem like a pretty stupid question, but - can you get laser surgery on your eyes more than once?

I have a feeling the reason I'm short sighted is because I spend so much time on this damn computer, a necessary evil in my line of work.  My vision isn't horrible, but I definitely need to wear glasses in order to see presentations and to drive.  I don't know what the exact strength of my vision is.  Can laser surgery be done more than once, incase I get near sighted again down the road?

To make an informed decision, you should have all the options...here's another.

RK, Radial Keratotomy.  Sometimes also known as PRK.

No laser is used; a diamond blade scalpel is used to make radial incisions in the cornea, flattening it permanently to correct myopia.  It can also be done multiple times per eye to correct vision, if required, and variants exist for astigmatism.  Recommended for up to -12.00 vision.

It's been used for over 35 years; I had mine done in 1989, and still have 20/20 in both eyes with no problems.  Surgery was pain free...it's more of a mind game, thinking, "This guy's got a knife in my eye!"  Post-op care was eye drops for a couple of months; no discomfort, other than a sensation similar to being in a smoke-filled club all night long...and a couple of drops of 'Refresh' solved that problem immediately.

You'll probably hear that it's an 'obsolete' procedure...but it's your vision you're talking about.  Wouldn't you rather have a procedure where you know the long term effects?

Here's something to research about, and ask the LASIK doctors:  ask about interface debris; dislodged flap; wrinkling; lipid deposits; decentration of .5 mm or more; corneal haze; anterior chamber perforation and kerato conus; free cap; displaced flap; striations; corneal flap melt; and corneal abcess.  Here's a hint; good doctors will inform you about *all* risks, including these ones...red flag any doctor that dismisses the above as "insignificant" and only talks about the pros, not the cons.

Toronto area recommendation:
Dr. Karas, 10014 Yonge Street (Richmond Hill, Yonge/Major Mac),
905-884-2020

ExistancE said:
*snip*
I've been trying to find out a little more about a newer procedure that involves wearing contact lenses at night that re-shape the eye to improve vision. Not too much info on it so far. Best of luck, I'm looking at getting lasered asap.

It's not new...it's known as Ortho Keratotomy Keratology, and has been around since the early 1980's.   The leading Toronto MD was Ned Paige, but he passed on some years ago.   Gas permeable contacts are used to 'mold' the cornea into taking the correct shape for 20/20 vision.

To be brutally honest, it's a waste of time & hope.   Your eyes are resilient, and bounce back...sometimes even from surgery.   A temporary molding, which the contacts do, *never* takes permanence.   Sure, you're good in the morning after a night of wearing them...but a few hours after they're out, your vision returns.   There *might* be a diopter or two of improvement long term...but stop using the lenses for even a week, and you're back to square one.

There's a trick old pilots use...they rub their eyes *really* hard before their eye exam.   This temporarily flattens the cornea, allowing them to pass with perfect vision.   A few hours later, the eye 'bounces' back to its regular state.

It doesn't hold up to scrutiny, however...corneas can be mapped quite easily these days...

(Edited for mistaking -totomy for -tology...common thing when sleep deprived, no?  However, the facts *are* correct!)

...can you get laser surgery on your eyes more than once?

Yes! My mother had her right eye "redone" because it wasn't "sharp" enough. In this case it was free. I don't know how rules are in Canada?

i kinda really hate the fact that the military doesn't pay for it! I guess all the money was spent on sex change operations.! :salute:

The U.S. Military does already. It feels that solders in combat with glasses pose a handicap. There is a 9 month waiting list to get it done. It isn't expensive to do because they own the machines and are not doing it for profit.

The Can Military will follow suit. But in its own time. I kept my receipts. Waiting for that day.

Good news after I had it done. WOW what a tax break.

I got a quote done for Lasik and its at $5600. Pretty nasty but worth it in the long run in my opinion. I am booked for next June. I've had a few family members get it done and they are 40 years old are more, most of the damage was old age but its all fixed and they are still 20/20. As far as I have been told if your eye naturally changes or some thing "natural" has happened to change your vision I believe a touch up is free. But if you got hit so hard playing hockey your eye popped out, and after it was reinserted your vision was off, that will cost you. (My optomotrist actually had that done except his eye is unfixable.)

I am nervous as hell.

You should be nervous. holy cow. its so hard not to blink or move your eye. If you do you will cause a scratch and it can't be fixed. if you rub your eyes too hards afterwards you'll rip it open and there is no cure. ;D

Relax though I was just kidding I had the jitters too. but the payoff. WOW. The wors part of it all is handing all that cash over. the best part. SEEING

CBH99 said:
This might seem like a pretty stupid question, but - can you get laser surgery on your eyes more than once?

That depends on your particular eye problem.  There are many different types of surgery and options.
Get second and third or more oppions.  Read all the info you can.  Types and reasoning for surgeries are constantly changing.

One that sounds promising are semi-permenant contacts placed under the outer skin of the eye. These can be changed at a later date.

Both INTACS and Lasik are good vision correction techniques in well selected patients. There are pros and cons with each technique. INTACS are only indicated in low myopes with minimal astigmatism, while Lasik has a wider range of correction possible. INTACS are placed in the periphery of the cornea, sparing the central part of the cornea, or visual axis, while Lasik involves the central sculpting of corneal tissue. INTACS are involved with no tissue removal, while Lasik is.

Postoperative discomfort is rare with Lasik, and more frequent with INTACS. Nevertheless, discomfort after INTACS lasts for 24-36 hrs.

There is mild postoperative visual fluctuation with both techniques, yet this settles by 4-6 weeks after surgery.

INTACS are reversible, Lasik is not.  Early evidence suggests that INTACS patients may have crisper vision than Lasik patients in the long term.

Both techniques can be associated with glare and halos for a period of 4-6 weeks after surgery. INTACS patients need to be well examined for pupil size, as large pupils are more frequently associated with persistent glare and halos.

http://www.grmc.ca/

I had mine done 2 months ago in Vancouver.

Cost: 2300.00  (Tissue sparing technique) PRK Very commonly used
Previous Vision: -8.25 (both)
Current Vision 20/20  (V1 CF equivalent)
Wait time required by CF before proceeding with application: 3months

Slight irritation (varies) for a week afterwards. The only thing that was not appealing about the whole thing was that eye reshaping smelled like burning hair!

Get er done! You wont regret it!

Walked in. did it. 6 months later went to the MO told him I had Lazer Eye Surgery. Handed him a copy of the documents.

The only person who was upset was the MEd Records Clerk who had a hissy fit. THe OC was more interested in the video of my procedure. There was no six month med catogory and there was no hassle.

Mind you if your bosses are really strict then do as per orders and get permission.

dearryan said:
I had mine done 2 months ago in Vancouver.

Cost: 2300.00  (Tissue sparing technique) PRK Very commonly used
Previous Vision: -8.25 (both)
Current Vision 20/20  (V1 CF equivalent)
Wait time required by CF before proceeding with application: 3months

Thanks for the info!

I was told about a month or 6 weeks ago by CFRC Toronto it's a minimum 6 months wait after Lasik, 12 months wait after PRK. How'd you get the 3 months? That would be nice.

Thanks for the posts. It's tough to get good feedback on other sites.

Today I went to my first consultation. (I have booked consutls at several facilities.) The technician looked over my eyes, then a sales type takes over with the pitch. Thing is, I have developed a list of hard hitting questions - and it flustered her completely. She looked like a trapped animal every time I asked one, eyes darting around the room. Not inspiring. Actually it was kind of funny, but I feel no pity for someone selling a surgical procedure to be so uninformed.

To her credit, she booked me a "special" consult directly with the surgeon to answer my tough questions. I hope that goes better.

So, off to the next consult.

X-Grunt, have you checked the Medical group forum as well?

Old Ranger said:
X-Grunt, have you checked the Medical group forum as well?

Hey, Old Ranger, how you doing?
Yes, I have been watching all vision related posts closely. Good suggestion though.

X-grunt,

I have a form that the physicians as sitant gave me for my civi doc to fill out regarding my medical condition at 3 months. the civi doc has to be able to sign off, and clear you (under HIS requirements). A year wait time for PRK is ridiculous. If you want PM me and Ill try to email you the form....or you can ask for one yourself.

Ryan

hello all,

I just had a meeting with my accountant; He has told me that laser surgery is indeed tax deductable (in BC at least). So I would inquire come tax time regarding this sizable deduction. Thats all.

Ryan

I realize this is a dead thread, but I am close to getting PRK ( my eyes qualified ). I have heard you need to wait a year before applying for the CF if you get this done, I have heard 6 months. What are the rules and regulations surrounding PRK and the military?

Thanks in advance

Back