• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

ballz said:
I liked my goretex more than my combats (Mark IVs), I just wear the black liners in them. In my combats my food used to slide around with the black liners, when I was marching people around me could hear "squeek" everytime my heel hit the ground, that was my heel sliding up and down the boot...

We weren't allowed to wear our goretex for some reason on our BFT, so I had to find a way of stopping my foot from sliding quick. I tried out the greens (no liners) and found my combats way more comfy, snug but comfy like a slipper, and had no foot problems for the 13km. I haven't switched back since.

Umm were you not told that the black socks were meant to be worn as a layer under the green socks to provide "a friction free" layer that will also " wick-a-way" moisture.  They were never meant to be worn just by themselves.

I actually saw a young officer wearing the black socks like knee high dress socks, that kept sliding down apparently.  He assumed that they were because they went so well inside his oxfords.

ajp said:
I actually saw a young officer wearing the black socks like knee high dress socks, that kept sliding down apparently.  He assumed that they were because they went so well inside his oxfords.

At least he wasn't wearing shorts and open toe sandals with them. :eek:

Danjanou said:
At least he wasn't wearing shorts and open toe sandals with them. :eek:

Mark my words that look will come back into fashion......... can it be worse then the pants hanging down the butt and the gangsta look in Rural Canada?

helpup said:
Mark my words that look will come back into fashion.........

I rely on People of Walmart for all my fashion advice

330.jpg

thanks bud a Lunch hour wasted on that site has been the highlight of my day.  8)

and no mater where you live Wal-Mart has similar client's

For the past 6 and a half months I have been wearing the old desert socks, and I think I will continue to wear them. 

helpup said:
and no mater where you live Wal-Mart has similar client's

And that's what scares me. I'm doing a weekend shift shilling poppies for my RCL branch at one  and I don't know if I'll be able to remain sombre and serious after viewing that thread.

I will bring my camera though.  8)

....and remember to wear socks too.

VIChris said:
What the heck are you doing with food in your boots?

Haha nice catch

helpup said:
Umm were you not told that the black socks were meant to be worn as a layer under the green socks to provide "a friction free" layer that will also " wick-a-way" moisture.  They were never meant to be worn just by themselves.

Yes I was told that. However the black and green combo is awfully warm, especially in goretex, and especially in May-Aug when I did my BMOQ. I found what worked for me, so I stuck to it.

just checking. I have seen some who just wear the black as they thought that green was for when it got cold out and they couldnt understand why they were getting blisters

I use to always use the black thin socks with the green ones overtop but now just use the green ones alone.

In the field I like to wear some thick moisture "resistant" ones. Keep my feet much drier then the issued socks. Did cost about $10 a pair mind you.

I just got kicked out of the mess for having shoes without socks.

The rules state that bare feet, and bare feet with sandals are not allowed.

I don't see anywhere that says I must be wearning socks when wearing shoes. Is this a rule?
I mean really I could wear combat boots in there without socks and who would ever know, or care.

Every dining room has the dress regs clearly posted for the diners to read prior to entry, and they're also generally posted somewhere in Base Standing Orders.  I'd suggest re-reading them and if they say you can wear full toed footwear with/without socks, point it out to the duty staff.  If it doesn't or clearly states you must wear socks with low footwear, go and put your socks on and go back...or eat somewhere more accomodating to how you want to dress.

MM

It doesn't state that you're not allowed to pick you WO's nose for him either.  But I really wouldn't suggest it.

If you're going to try and do things just because they're not stated, as opposed to common sense, then you're going to have a rough period here in the next little while, me thinks.

medicineman said:
Every dining room has the dress regs clearly posted for the diners to read prior to entry, and they're also generally posted somewhere in Base Standing Orders.  I'd suggest re-reading them and if they say you can wear full toed footwear with/without socks, point it out to the duty staff.  If it doesn't or clearly states you must wear socks with low footwear, go and put your socks on and go back...or eat somewhere more accomodating to how you want to dress.

Amongst the various other rules it said:
Bare feet, or bare feet with sandals is not allowed.

There was nothing else regarding footwear. I pointed this out to the duty staff who told me it was common CF rules that socks are required in all messes. I disagree with this, but I decided not to eat there and went to Subway.

RDJP said:
If you're going to try and do things just because they're not stated, as opposed to common sense, then you're going to have a rough period here in the next little while, me thinks.

I was trying to eat dinner in my normal shoes that I chose not to wear socks with. I wasn't trying to do this because it wasn't stated on the rules.

In fact I didn't even know what was stated on the rules but was pretty shocked when I was kicked out, so I read them. And as stated above, it doesn't say that you require socks. It does mention that you can't have bare feet with sandals though. I feel if they wanted to ensure you had socks with all forms of footwear this would have been stated.

Now it could be in the base rso's, which I will examine next week before I talk to the RSM since I gladly gave the duty guy my name.

j_drews105 said:
Amongst the various other rules it said:
Bare feet, or bare feet with sandals is not allowed.

There was nothing else regarding footwear. I pointed this out to the duty staff who told me it was common CF rules that socks are required in all messes. I disagree with this, but I decided not to eat there and went to Subway.

So do you need a regulation stating that bare feet with any type of footwear is not allowed?  Is that your hill to die on?

Back