• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

That they are. Unfortunately, the green ones are now "were" and the "new" grey ones are available.

WHAT.???  That's it..last straw, I'm getting out.!!  (Retiring Dec 2012)    :salute:

krustyrl said:
WHAT.???  That's it..last straw, I'm getting out.!!  (Retiring Dec 2012)    :salute:

It just started. The green ones have essential been changed in colour, green to a darker grey and replace both the combat uniform socks and those to be worn with DEU.

Some info on the current CSS (combat sock system).

- comes with 3 different socks  (1) a anti-blister type liner sock (2) a temperate sock and (3) cold weather sock.

The liner sock is black, roughly just below the knee in height, and IMO is better fitting than the other liner socks I've had (Gobi liners from MEC, for example).  I don't know the exact fabric % (not marked on the ones I just recieved)

The temperate sock is (darkish) grey, about a 10" height for me over the liner, so 2-4" shorter.  Package says its 60% wool, 40% nylon. 

The cold weather sock is about the same height-wise as the temp sock, a lighter color of grey (nice and easy to tell them apart in the drawer).  78% wool, 21% nylon, and 1% spandex.

Comments on the CSS

- I find the liner socks footbed stretches very easily and doesn't always reshape-size well in the wash (compared to the Gobis I use in my hiking boots, as a comparison).  I like the length, I find the liners don't slide down too easily.

- the temp socks I find very warm in the summer especially.  I can't wear just the liners or my boots bang around on my feet like snowshoes and my orthodics don't fit right with just the liners/too much foot movement.  I also find they go all 'frizzy/fuzzy' easily in the dryer because I don't use dryer sheets (parrafrin wax in them, or so we were taught on AMT).  End result is they wear out easier because of the materials catching inside the boots from the fuzziness.

- Cold weather socks.  I don't mind them, I use them in the winter as socks in my Columbia's, etc as well.  Good mid-range cold sock.  I find th sizes run small.  I wear Medium liners and temps, but I get Large cold weather socks.

The CSS is common to all 3 environments I believe.  However, I believe the Navy added a hot weather sock to their project (N.I.C.E. - Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment).

Hope that helps some. 

We have our desert socks too, which are coyote brown and I believe a wicking-type fabric. I plan on using them once they arrived back in Canada in my UAB as my summer sock. I found them very similar to the Wigwam Lt Hiker socks in comfort and size.

PuckChaser said:
We have our desert socks too, which are coyote brown and I believe a wicking-type fabric. I plan on using them once they arrived back in Canada in my UAB as my summer sock. I found them very similar to the Wigwam Lt Hiker socks in comfort and size.

Cut the foot off. The resulting sleeve is a good goggle cover.

That was the best use I found for them.

CDN Aviator said:
That they are. Unfortunately, the green ones are now "were" and the "new" grey ones are available.

How do I get out of this chicken***t outfit?

Brihard said:
How do I get out of this chicken***t outfit?

Apparently, same sock, different colour. Was green, now charcoal grey is all.

Generals don't check what colour your socks are anymore. Don't worry ;)

recceguy said:
Cut the foot off. The resulting sleeve is a good goggle cover.

That was the best use I found for them.

The coyote ones? I'd definitely do that to the thin tan sock I got in 07, but these new ones seemed pretty good. Then again, I wasn't patrolling hours a day with them.

PuckChaser said:
The coyote ones? I'd definitely do that to the thin tan sock I got in 07, but these new ones seemed pretty good. Then again, I wasn't patrolling hours a day with them.

I never got any new type ones. The only ones I got issued were in 2003.

Yeah, they were junk. There's a newer type that started issue in 09 I believe, just got them for Attention. Lightyears ahead of those tan pieces of crap.

recceguy said:

The newer ones are the ones I was referring to.  Like I said, great as compression socks.  They're very thin though so I would never use them for any long hauls, but I know of others who swear by them.

recceguy said:

Maybe it's time to put a new pair on. They are starting to get a little funky on here. I can only imagine what they are like in person. ;D

cupper said:
Maybe it's time to put a new pair on. They are starting to get a little funky on here. I can only imagine what they are like in person. ;D
::) must be dry rot then, as I never used them, except for the use stated above.

Thank you all for your input and feedback. It is always very helpful and I am glad to see that some of you are already familiar with our products and using them. Maybe one day we can convince your buyers to give us a chance!

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place or if this is a derpy question or not. On the Logistik Unicorp website, which I'm using for the first time, it doesn't say the sizes by colour and I'm not looking to have a shitty time getting the wrong size by accident. My socks have the red rim for those wondering. I'm pretty sure that's a large, but I know the measurements are a little different civie side than they are in the supply system

From the Logistik Unicorp site

SIZE                              FOOT LENGTH
XS/XP (Light Blue band)    215
S/P (Green band)             235
M (White band)             255
L/G (Dark Blue band)     270
XL/TG (Red band)             350

Last week at clothing stores, I was told that the reason my boots were to big was that I wasn't wearing "all 3 pairs of socks". Apparently, we are supposed to wear the liner socks, temperate socks, and cold weather socks together at all times. That sounded a little ridiculous to me, so I was wondering if someone could confirm or deny that this is the correct way to wear the current issue sock system.

John John said:
Last week at clothing stores, I was told that the reason my boots were to big was that I wasn't wearing "all 3 pairs of socks". Apparently, we are supposed to wear the liner socks, temperate socks, and cold weather socks together at all times. That sounded a little ridiculous to me, so I was wondering if someone could confirm or deny that this is the correct way to wear the current issue sock system.
Just the liner and the temperate sock for your normal combat boots. If it's cold enough out to need to wear the cold weather socks I probably have muk luks on.

John John said:
Last week at clothing stores, I was told that the reason my boots were to big was that I wasn't wearing "all 3 pairs of socks".

Combat boots?

If so, that person was either an idiot, a rectum, or both - the proper term for which is "ignoranus".

Loachman said:
Combat boots?

If so, that person was either an idiot, a rectum, or both - the proper term for which is "ignoranus".

Or a joke that went too far?

Back