• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alleged police attack may nix soldier's Afghan tour

recceguy said:
I can't say I'm suprised by your disbelief either. You're just like those liberals that can't believe they lost and nothing will convince them they screwed themselves while they try convince themselves they're still right and the NGP. :facepalm:

After careful consideration, the most appropriate response I can find to that is:

:rofl:

You're not worth it.

Occam said:
He said he found the three knee strikes to Begin's back troubling.[/i]

As he should be and as would my Use of Force instructors.

Personally, I would be VERY dissapointed with myself, and any of my team members, if we couldn't cause enough pain with ONE strike [ and some "tenderizing"] to dislodge a combattant's arm from under them.

Having said that, if it took three, then it would take three.....

Occam, you can deduct all the milpoints ya want, [I don't even know why we have 'em] but you can hoop your forehead if you wish to accuse me of bringing disrespect to the law enforcement community.

I noticed that the officer you quoted even had fellow instructors IN HIS SECTION disagree with his testimony in court and that your article somehow left those lines out.
Maybe that is why they went all the way to Calgary for an unbiased opinion.

Bottom line,....sometimes one is just on the wrong side of an arguement and one must always remember that
the beaks and claws are easier to swallow if you use the "puree" button.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I noticed that the officer you quoted even had fellow instructors IN HIS SECTION disagree with his testimony in court and that your article somehow left those lines out.
Maybe that is why they went all the way to Calgary for an unbiased opinion.

They went to Calgary police force Staff Sgt. Chris Butler (Stafford was trained in Calgary) for an unbiased opinion?

They went to J Division (New Brunswick) Cpl. Rick Turnbull for an unbiased opinion?  (J Division conducted the investigation and laid the charge against Stafford)

From where I sit, the unbiased opinion they had was Sgt Rick Walkinshaw from Nova Scotia, who had no ties to the case whatsoever.

Occam said:
After careful consideration, the most appropriate response I can find to that is:

:rofl:

You're not worth it.

...........and then you ding B Monkhouse -300 milpoints and accuse him... him, of 'and bringing disrespect on the LE community.' by his comments? What do you know of the LE community that makes YOU think your even worth spouting bilge like that. Your sense of entitlement seems to know no bounds. Not sure whether I'm talking to Iggy or Occam. ::)

Either way, you're the one that's not worth it.

HAGO

Occam said:
They went to J Division (New Brunswick) Cpl. Rick Turnbull for an unbiased opinion?  (J Division conducted the investigation and laid the charge against Stafford)

Turnbulls testimony would be the most important testimony-

The police officer in this situation would have been trained at the Atlantic police academy. And taught by instructors like Turnbull. A police officer is covered in using force that they believe is necessary- if he was taught by trainers like Turnbull that this was the appropriate response, and I was taught the same by RCMP instructors- resisting guy with arms under his body, the judge could have found that he acted as he believed appropriate and he would be protected by the criminal code from being found guilty. He, in his decision, could also tell the atlantic police academy that they are mistaken and they should adjust their standards. But he didn't.

So it would appear that at the end of the trial he was not concerned with the police officers action or his training.

I recieved a PM indicating that I was contributing "erroneous information". I did make a mistake and I'll recognize it and post my response to clarify. As a further point- where I say "this is a legal requirement", I mean if the training is reasonable. Obviously If the police trained him to shoot everyone who resists it wouldnt be reasonable. I do apologize for getting the names wrong. Expert testiony is part of my job now- I am in the middle of learning the ins and outs of the requirements for my job. And have been kicked around several times now as part of the learning process.

My PM:

"An overlooked detail. Hardly "contribuitng erroneous information"

That is the most minor point of my entire post and I aplogize- I didnt realize he was a lateral. But my point on expert testimony stands. Replace Turnbull with the name of his instructor in Calgary- it isnt about bias. It is about the judge determining the training the constable received. If he acted in accordance with his training then he is not guilty. That is a legal requirement.

Im not getting in to a pissing match with you. I provide expert testimony in court on ******* and I am aware of the process and the issues surrounding conflicting expert testimony. I can tell you, from experience and from knowledge, that it is impossible for you to make any conclusions from those articles.
"

Occam said:
So, this officer wasn't credible?

Earlier in the day, Judge Geri Mahoney ruled that testimony given in a voir dire by Sgt. Rick Walkinshaw, an RCMP use of force training officer, was admissible.

The expert acknowledged that Stafford may not have realized he was kneeing the back during the heat of the moment.

But he said the idea is for police officers to be as accurate as they can with a view to causing the least amount of injury.

He said he found the three knee strikes to Begin's back troubling.

I can't say I'm surprised at the verdict.  It would appear that I have a lot of company.
A person speaking as an expert of Use of Force would be providing that information regardless who is being charged. If the accused police officer followed accurate Use of Force, then that's it.

Back