• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allergies in the CAF 2003 - 2015 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got the rejection letter from the Medical Examiner today....I'm going to have to talk to the people at the recruiting centre because my family doctor on my recommendation made the allergy seem worse than it is. I've recently been prescribed an epi-pen as precautionary, but I have never used one, nor needed one or would I if I had been exposed to one of my allergies. I hope they give me some more options because I have been exposed to my allergies and had never had it even bring me to the hospital.

officer.phil said:
Well, I just got the rejection letter from the Medical Examiner today....I'm going to have to talk to the people at the recruiting centre because my family doctor on my recommendation made the allergy seem worse than it is. I've recently been prescribed an epi-pen as precautionary, but I have never used one, nor needed one or would I if I had been exposed to one of my allergies. I hope they give me some more options because I have been exposed to my allergies and had never had it even bring me to the hospital.

And your medical background allows you to justify your entrance, even after your recomendation to your family Doctor to make things worse.....

You may not hve been exposed, however, if you have been given a epiderm-pen and not have ever been in a situation to use one, then your allergies would justify having one.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but I doubt you will be able to change things.

dileas

tess

While I can understand the severe problems that could arise due to a peanut allery (as some people have a reaction from simply being in the same room as peanut butter), I'm not sure how a shellfish allergy would affect someone, are we really going to be served shrimp or lobster?
My other question is this, if a shellfish allergy is not anaphylactic/life threatening, is that going to eliminate all chances of getting in, or would I just need my doctor to sign off on it?

I'll say it again. If they are going to keep people out for any allergy, no matter how mild, they should medically release every person currently serving, with the same conditions.

I have a similar question, I have an Epi-Pen for bee stings although nothing has ever happened that was too serious, by this I mean Swelling to the point my watch no longer fit but when stung again we tried applying a tensor bandage immediately which prevented the swelling so my Doctor to be cautious filled a prescription for an Epi-Pen. The reason I am asking this is I would like to work with the Sea Cadets as CIC. Would this allergy preclude me from this? Anyone have any past experience?

Cheers,

Shay

KStew said:
While I can understand the severe problems that could arise due to a peanut allery (as some people have a reaction from simply being in the same room as peanut butter), I'm not sure how a shellfish allergy would affect someone, are we really going to be served shrimp or lobster?
My other question is this, if a shellfish allergy is not anaphylactic/life threatening, is that going to eliminate all chances of getting in, or would I just need my doctor to sign off on it?
If the kitchens are not able to guarantee the cross contamination of products, do you really want to take a chance?
Your alergy may be mild now and develop into an even bigger beast in the future - when do you want to find out?

A guy I work with is deadly allergic to anytype of shellfood.He makes sure anyone who is working with him knows where his epipen is and on all meal TSR's it requests no seafood under allergies.

He's a senior NCO,and has a great career with a seriou allergy.Apparently he blows up and his throat closes in.

CdtBosn, talk to your local MIR or Recruiting office.  I do know cadet/CIC med requirements are very different from the rest of the CFs, but beyond that I'd be speculating.

Hope it works out for you,

DF

Thanks ParaMedTech, I am hoping to go into a recruiting office some time in the next few weeks so hopefully they will have more info for me. I'll post the requirements for CIC once I have heard from the CFRC.

Based on some of the files I have handled... though the CIC have medical standards, you couldn't trip over them if you tried.  There are some really big people out there in uniform (shudder!) who have some serious knee & back problems.  There are some with Diabetes - needing regular injections,... pert much you name it and they got it...

If you're going CIC, don't sweat it - based on current standards.

Ok this is all very encouraging news to hear, when I saw that others were being turned away for the same alergies I got a little worried but now I'm looking forward to talking to the recruiter again.

CdtBosn said:
Thanks ParaMedTech, I am hoping to go into a recruiting office some time in the next few weeks so hopefully they will have more info for me. I'll post the requirements for CIC once I have heard from the CFRC.

No you won't.  You will go to the Cadet Corps that you want to apply to and start the process there.  The CFRC/D only deals with CIC applicants once they have jumped through the hoops of the Cadet Corps and the Regional Cadet Authority.

I was told by the recruiter who came by my University to come in and talk to him before I went out to the different corps, as I am looking to fin a corps which is needing more officer strength and he would have said information for me, and he also told me that I should think about the reserves and would have more information to supply me at the recruiting center.

CdtBosn said:
and he also told me that I should think about the reserves and would have more information to supply me at the recruiting center.
If you have serious alergies, he mighta been pumping up your hopes of going into the reserves... Reg & Res pert much have the same medical standards

Thats what I would have thought the Cadets I can understand having more grace as you are much more likely to be in an area where you can leave quickly if need be. So I think that will be the avenue I will be most likely going down. Thank you everyone for all the help.

Shay

The cadet world also has the luxury of being able to send you somewhere there's going to be medical care available.

I spent a couple of summers at Vernon ACSTC.  We got every Army Cadet with allergies, post-transplant, weird medical conditions...we were literally 5 minutes from an ED...I don't think I ever actually finished a hospital notification between the time the Amb doors closed and openned again.

That being said, Shay, I'll paraphrase KinCanucks here and say

Your fitness for joining the CF (any element) can only be determined by the good medical folks at CFRC.  Not a family doctor, the unit you're joining, or this board.  8)

All the best,

DF

Thank you very much Para I'm hoping to get in tomorrow depending on if my one class happens or not if it doesn't then I'll be able to give the answer for allergies regarding CIC members. If not it will have to wait until next week. Wish me Luck and hopefully there will be good news tomorrow.

Shay

Well here's my sorry story about allergies.
I went in for my interview and physical yesterday. Interviewer told me that I was a good candidate for the reserve postion that I am looking for. Great. Then the dreaded medical interview. All was well but when I declared on the form that I have an allergy to nuts I was hit like a Mac truck when the medical interviewer said that my allergy to nuts is a big problem and unless I could prove through an allergist report that my reaction is not life threatening and that I do not need to carry an epi pen around, that I would likely be deemed medically unfit to serve! Well I was super shocked. I manage just fine with a nut allergy. By simply avoiding almost all pasteries and keeping an epi pen in my truck, I have never had a serious problem. I am really hoping that the allergist report shows that I am not that allergic to nuts as I think I am.

I can't believe that this simple thing (which I self-manage) can keep me out of the army. Its enough to make me scream!!!!!!!!! ARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!! More delays!!!

Does anybody know if immunotherapy (ie allergy shots) are effecitive in reducing a food allergy and if so is this provabale enough get me in??

:crybaby:

I have searched the site and have found no info on this particular topic,  I am mildly allergic to eggs and this makes me react very badly to vaccines.  I have been training to join up since February and the thought of vaccinations never crossed my mind until now.. please don't tell me i will be turned down =(  I would be the first in five gen not to enlist.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back