• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

I'm not sure that I'm complaining, but my pay stub finally came in and it seems to be quite a bit higher of an adjustment then I expected (based on the CAF broadstrokes estimate table), except it's hard to know what specifically they used in the calculation.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Guessing the estimate may have been using the baseline IPC or something to temper expectations, but I didn't think I was that much above the basic IPC. Guess it's time to dig out the old paystubs and do some math.

On one hand, gifthorse and mouth comes to mind, but the clawback process is just brutal, arbitrary and unexpected.
That massive tax deduction up front wasn't fun.

That massive tax deduction up front wasn't fun.
For sure, but if you get overpayed, they claw back the gross, not the net, which would include the money that was taken off in deductions.

Maybe I'm a bit scarred from seeing what people went through on Phoenix, but saw someone get overpayed by something like $10k, and then they screwed up the recalculation to a lower pay scale and tried to claw back even more then the $10k, and then subsequently overpayed them again. Finally the T4 wasn't accurate either, so they had to manually go through and calculate their own pay and deductions, and submit something that basically said their employer screwed up the T4.

Anyway, tentatively optimistic but will still do some math this weekend to make sure it's in the right ballpark.

I'm an engineer, but still can't make spreadsheets as complicated as the pay and benefits folks.

Take old base pay. Take year one increase times two plus year two increase, then multiply that percentage by old base pay, and that's slightly below the gross retro pay amount. That ignores the last three months, so should probably be a bit below.

But always read the details and ask Qs of the pay Office if something is unclear. I once fought to get raw data for a pay recovery (NDHQ directed). Once I got the raw data, I ack'd their request and pointed out another big obvious error they'd missed, doubling the amount I owed, and asking them to confirm.

Also remember that the first release of the current Reg F pay system was around the same time Atari released the 2600 video game system, and give some sympathy to the HRAs who are stuck with that system.

Wasn't there a mechasism to account for inflation

I hear you man, made the mistake of paying my home off early so I lost it anyways. I'm glad people who didn't get it before and need it are getting it now. Not happy at the thousands who lost it and still need help and the mechanism set in place for people to eventually lose it.

This is the part of this policy that makes no sense to me. Updating things after 20 years was sure to leave some people short and some people properly attended to after 20 years of being shorted, there was no getting around it and that occurred. But tying it to home ownership? Why should someone get paid less for doing the same job in the same market based on their personal wealth or assets?

Cutting out a bit of a monologue here about what I've learned about promotions, pay, performance, salary negotations, etc. in the private sector by stating that the market determines your pay and you should never bring your personal circumstances into it. You being broke is not a good reason to give you a raise. You not having x,y,z, is not relevant to your value in the labour market. I can't imagine asking my employer for money "because I don't own a house yet." And, being the older guy that switched careers, most of my peers don't have a house and I do, and the idea that my employer would cut my pay to make up for that and maybe say to me "you don't need as much compensation as your peers, you already have a house" is just preposterous.

This is the part of this policy that makes no sense to me. Updating things after 20 years was sure to leave some people short and some people properly attended to after 20 years of being shorted, there was no getting around it and that occurred. But tying it to home ownership? Why should someone get paid less for doing the same job in the same market based on their personal wealth or assets?

Cutting out a bit of a monologue here about what I've learned about promotions, pay, performance, salary negotations, etc. in the private sector by stating that the market determines your pay and you should never bring your personal circumstances into it. You being broke is not a good reason to give you a raise. You not having x,y,z, is not relevant to your value in the labour market. I can't imagine asking my employer for money "because I don't own a house yet." And, being the older guy that switched careers, most of my peers don't have a house and I do, and the idea that my employer would cut my pay to make up for that and maybe say to me "you don't need as much compensation as your peers, you already have a house" is just preposterous.
CFHD isn't "pay", it's to offset the cost of housing.

The CAF/GoC decided to save money, and make a system that gets less useful as you advance... The perfect retention tool.

CFHD isn't "pay", it's to offset the cost of housing.

Right, and EI/CPP aren't a tax either.

Check what line that PLD and CFHD show up on your T4 ... hint hint ... Box 14, Employment income.

No use in trying to pick fly shit from pepper, compensation is compensation, whether it comes in the form of pay, allowances, or other benefits. And people's compensation packages are now uneven based not on their position, job, responsibilities, etc.. but based on whether or not they own a house. That's ludicrous HR policy.

The CAF/GoC decided to save money, and make a system that gets less useful as you advance... The perfect retention tool.

You might be right on that, maybe that was the intent, but playing those kind of games usually has unintended consequences. In any case, I doubt it was thought of in that manner, Hanlon's razor and all that.

Also remember that the first release of the current Reg F pay system was around the same time Atari released the 2600 video game system, and give some sympathy to the HRAs who are stuck with that system.
Just because it is old doesn't mean its ineffective. If anything the fact we still use it is testimony to how effective it is. Phoenix is a great example of new and terrible. DRIMS is just SAP which is a 80s program which has been updated over the years.

So with the new allowance in effect, does that mean the new pay is also in effect, and if so, does that mean back-pay cheques are coming soon? Or will this be a year-long roll out of back pay like the previous sea-pay adjustments?

My mid-July statement is on EMAA. It’s all there, all the backpay and the new pay rate.

Same with mine, although I get it emailed to my personal email.

Not sure why I had mine set up to go to my Forces email…but I did. I changed that at 10pm last night after logging on with DVPNI…on DSL internet. 🙄

My take-home always right around where I expected. Now to wait for mid-Aug to see take-home compared to mid-June…either way I’m happy for an increase in pensionable earnings.

Not sure why I had mine set up to go to my Forces email…but I did. I changed that at 10pm last night after logging on with DVPNI…on DSL internet. 🙄
I have no idea why it defaults to their Forces email, when (before Covid) most people checked it at the office only.

I did it before my OUTCAN posting bc I knew I had zero DWAN access for a few years. It's super convenient.

I have no idea why it defaults to their Forces email, when (before Covid) most people checked it at the office only.

Because the system knows what your Forces e-mail is, and does not know what your preferred civvie e-mail is until you tell it..

Because the system knows what your Forces e-mail is, and does not know what your preferred civvie e-mail is until you tell it..
I get that, but one of the things that shows up when you log onto EMAA should be "what is your civilian email".

Whether people want to add that or not is their choice, but I'm betting a lot of people don't even know that having your pay stub and T4s sent to your civ email is an option.

I get that, but one of the things that shows up when you log onto EMAA should be "what is your civilian email".

Whether people want to add that or not is their choice, but I'm betting a lot of people don't even know that having your pay stub and T4s sent to your civ email is an option.
It’s actually very common knowledge in the PRES for obvious reasons. Most of our newer people get briefed on doing that or word gets passed around.

But I agree that it should be more obvious. It’s an excellent feature.

Other recently released personnel I know have reported having received a pay statement from the government for this.. . I have not... Hope this doesn't mean my back pay will be delayed!

Other recently released personnel I know have reported having received a pay statement from the government for this.. . I have not... Hope this doesn't mean my back pay will be delayed!
Did you update your EMAA email destination for your pay statement before you released? If not, it was probably sent to your old military email.

Back