• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

From asking similar questions to my OR, what I was told was 'as long as you live outside of military SQs, you are entitled to PLD".  Explaination was...military SQs are offered at a extremely low rate compared to the local rental market; they include things like heat, power, laundry facilities, the would normally cost a mbr much more $.  Makes sense, right?  I am currently living-in over in Shearwater for $169 a month.  I am betting at residence, you pay more than that, and that includes cable, power, heat, laundry and basic furniture.

Not to say your ULO is yanking your chains, but I would bet the Clerks are the authorities on it.  My advice?  Submit a memo to the Orderly Room (or maybe they will just want an email...ask them, I am assuming you are dealing with the Pink Palace?) and ask them specifically if you are entitled to PLD if you are living in residence on campus and are NOT living in military single quarters.  If they don't know for sure or if there are doubts, they usually make a call to DCBA or whoever the authority is for the benefit and come back with a yes or no.

As PLD in Halifax is $634 a month now, I would rather find out for sure and in writing if possible, before I got PLD for a year and then had to pay it back.

From the clerk friend I have that I talked to about it back in the spring, as long as you aren't having single quarters deducted from your pay for staying on base, you are entitled to either 100% or 75% PLD rate, in your case it would be the 100% IMO.

We can speculate here some...I can tell you what the RMS MCpl and Sgt I talked to said about it...if the grey area is single quarter equals/does not equal residence...talk to the OR.  IMO, the ULO is not the authority on this subject;  DCBA is.

The CBI reads (in part):

“principal residence” means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:
(i) the member’s place of duty, if their household goods and effects are located at that place;
(ii) the member’s former place of duty, if the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty;
(iii) the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty; or
(iv) any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force. (résidence principale)

So, the issue of move of HG&E (or continued residence in the place of enrolment if not auth a move) comes into play as well.

I am going to go out on a limb here (just feeling risky today) >:D

You were posted with move of HG&E restricted or prohibited.

If you already had a residence in Halifax then you would still qualify for PLD there.

If you lived somewhere else then you do not qualify for PLD in Halifa put could qualify in the area you came from if you still maintain a residence there.

The only type of residence that does not qualify is Single Quarters as previously pointed out they are already subsidized by the military. Unless things have changed in the last 2 years then you will have to provide a copy of your rental agreement when you submit your appllication for PLD as proof that you have a residence within the geographical boundaries of Halifax.

boot12 don't apologise for a long post..we prefer those that give needed detail vice just an emote.

Thank you very much for the replies everyone, they've been most helpful.

Regarding the restriction of movement of HG&E, I was not told either way, but I have my posting message sitting in front of me and one of the lines jumped out at me:

E.  MOVE OF HG AND E AUTHORIZED IAW REF B. FIN CODE FOR MOVEMENT OF HG AND E WILL BE PROVIDED BY CFRG COMPT 2

Now I don't pretend to understand what half that line implies, but it seems to me that I was authorized to move my belongings, and as such should not be disqualified for PLD based on this?

I realize that the final say in this comes down to the fine people working at S-90 (the pink palace?), but I would like to be armed with a bit of knowledge before going in, and you guys are helping me do just that.  Thanks again.  :)

Your message does authorize movement of HG&E; Halifax should therefore be considered as your principal residence.

However - the rules governing those enrolled in full-time school are sometimes arcane (and profane?) - it's a very specialized body of knowledge, managed through CDA in Kingston.

S-90 is the Pink Palace.  Take your posting message in with you and any other relevant info you have.  They will know you aren't living-in (Single Quarters) as you don't have any R & Q deductions on your pay.  As long as they have the relevant facts which are correct, they can make the correct decision.

The only other thing I can say is...PLD is taxable so...you'll likely see about $400ish of it in actuality (per month).

will - here I go on the limb and it breaks.  :)

Go directly to Pink Palace (remember your message and lease), collect PLD each month (I hate you  :mad:  )

While there in the lobby shout so this is the Pink Palace  >:D  trust me, they will loooove you.

PLD and donairs - what more could I ask for? oh yeah the flat of Keith's and the wonderful smell of the harbour when the wind is at your back.  I hate this place.

CountDC said:
PLD and donairs - what more could I ask for? oh yeah the flat of Keith's and the wonderful smell of the harbour when the wind is at your back.  I hate this place.

You're just on the wrong side of the harbour every day then... 8)

Eye In The Sky said:
You're just on the wrong side of the harbour every day then... 8)

really far on the wrong side - I'm in Disneyland.  Think it's fun dealing with this place from there, come here to work and find out how fun it really is.

Did the new rates come out today? Can anyone post them? I won't be near a work computer for the next month or so.

I have read all the posts above, and just need this question answered.

I am on IR doing OJT living in the officer's mess. I am married with my principal residence in the GTA Ontario. I already get separation pay, do I qualify for PLD?

I am supposed to be going on course in Sept 2009, I have been on IR since Nov 2008

Thx

jacksparrow said:

I am on IR doing OJT living in the officer's mess. I am married with my principal residence in the GTA Ontario. I already get separation pay, do I qualify for PLD?

I am supposed to be going on course in Sept 2009, I have been on IR since Nov 2008

Thx

You should.  I'm on IR in Ottawa and still receive PLD for Kingston......not for long, though.

PMedMoe said:
You should.  I'm on IR in Ottawa and still receive PLD for Kingston......not for long, though.

That is what my wife tells me too from talking to her fellow canadian military wives online. How come no one in the clerks office bothered to tell me this?

I am going in there 1st thing tomorrow.

Thx

Go to your OR.  They can sort you out.  There is a possibility that you DO NOT qualify.  I have been in a situation where I was not entitled to IR, nor Separation Allowance.

You should still get PLD at your principal location if it applies, but you won't get PLD while on IR, TD, etc...

jacksparrow said:

Thx

Tewkster said:
You should still get PLD at your principal location if it applies, but you won't get PLD while on IR, TD, etc...

Well, that's funny, I'm on IR and I get PLD.  Seeing how PLD is for your principal residence, I don't see why you wouldn't.  Also, I still get it when I'm on TD.

PMedMoe said:
Well, that's funny, I'm on IR and I get PLD.  Seeing how PLD is for your principal residence, I don't see why you wouldn't.  Also, I still get it when I'm on TD.

Ok, I don't think I was very clear.  You won't get PLD at both locations, only your primary one.  Ex.  If your primary residence is Halifax and you are on IR or TD in Borden, you still only get the PLD rate from Halifax, not both Halifax and Borden.

Tewkster said:
Ok, I don't think I was very clear.  You won't get PLD at both locations, only your primary one.  Ex.  If your primary residence is Halifax and you are on IR or TD in Borden, you still only get the PLD rate from Halifax, not both Halifax and Borden.

Much better!!  :nod:  Of course, you're right, you only get it for the location of your principal residence. 

Back