• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

You'll get your apartment paid by the CF, IF this is the accommodation they can provide you.  If you are in SQ, you are NOT entitled to PLD.  You need to rent an apartment or a house (PMQ included) to be eligible.  So, no F&E, no PLD.  Period.

You will get PLD at the place of your F&E only (normally where you are posted).

Question though...why have you not asked your Orderly Room any of this? Would that not be better then relying on an internet forum for your answers?

LoKe said:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't understand at all.

I don't live in Kingston.  I don't have a house or apartment there, nor do I have single quarters.  I don't have personal effects there, either.  That's where my unit is, and I'll be going back there after the 3 month TD. 

I've been in single quarters for the past 16 months.  Mostly in Borden.

Wouldn't my TD in Esquimalt count as "4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force. (résidence principale)"
[/quote]
LoKe said:
But I have no household goods or effects to move at public expense.

::)

OK

PLD (Post as in Posted) is for people who are POSTED and must move household goods and effects.  (You conveniently overlooked that part of the Regulation in your post above.)  You are neither posted, nor are you, by your own admission, the owner of household goods and effects.  You admit to living in Single Quarters, and that your Unit is Based in Kingston.  Once you return from your 3 month TASKING (NOT a POSTING) you will in all likelihood live in Single Quarters in Kingston, until such time as you may decide to find other accommodations.  Still no PLD in your future there, either.

You are not entitled to PLD under any of the conditions specified in the Regulations.

And if you look at the last line of my last post.  PLD in Kingston is 0 after March of 08.  So, regardless of where you live in Kingston, be it MQ, apartment, or a house, you will not receive PLD because there isn't any in Kingston.

I have a question about PLD.

I am currently posted to Toronto, however, I live over 1.5 hours away from Toronto.  In my posting message it says movement of F & E restricted, which I have interpreted as meaning I am not allowed to move my stuff at the crowns expence.

However,

If I were to find myself a furnished apartment in Toronto, and im actually posted to Toronto, as listed above, would I be able to collect Toronto PLD?  Or do I have to collect the Kitchener PLD because I have not been able to move my items.

And before someone asks, I have been trying to book an appointment with my orderly room to go over this stuff, but so far they have been busy and ive been told going over this stuff is not a priority, so I am a few weeks away from being able to speak with them.

Your Docs stating that your movement of F&E is restricted, will also list Kitchener as the location of your F&E.  If you do any moving it will be at your expense, and will still not entitle you to PLD.  It WOULD NOT BE an authorized move; as stated in the Regulations, so you will be paying out of your own pocket/no PLD.

Some old threads which may be of interest regarding "Restricted Moves" and PLD.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31283/post-230778.html#msg230778
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77241.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77241.0.html

I'm out of date and you really need to check anything I say out with current authorities (your Orderly Room or IRP);  BUT - with that proviso in mind, I'll shoot my mouth off anyway.

ALL moves within Canada are "Restricted"  the restriction is lifted once you obtain suitable accomodation in the new location. 

You shouldn't need to contact your Orderly Room for moves - that's what IRP is for (or have they totally screwed the pooch on that one in the last five years?)

PLD I cannot speak to specifically - but if you aren't moving your F&E to a location - you ain't getting PLD for that location.  Period.  Full Stop.  For whoever it was that asked about PLD while on course - get off the Internet, stop looking for free money, and concentrate on your course material.

There are other threads available - look in the Military Administration forums - located here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,40.0.html

LoKe said:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't understand at all.

I don't live in Kingston.  I don't have a house or apartment there, nor do I have single quarters.  I don't have personal effects there, either.  That's where my unit is, and I'll be going back there after the 3 month TD. 

I've been in single quarters for the past 16 months.  Mostly in Borden.

Wouldn't my TD in Esquimalt count as "4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force. (résidence principale)"

Although people have answered this, after reading thru your posts, I am going to take a guess at your situation.

1.  You are a Reg Frce Comm Research in Navy DEU, who was enrolled in London, On, did BMQ and then was sent to PRETC at CFB Borden.  You are posted to CFB Kingston (CFSCE) who then Attach Posted you to PRETC, CFB Borden while you are waiting for your QL3 course.  If that is the case, then I'll also guess that you are course loaded on the Comm Rsch 120 Apprentice Pt 1 (Unclas), MITE Session 0037 course from 26 Oct - 08 Dec 09.  While waiting for your course, PRETC has a TD tasking for you in Esq.  Am I close?  (this *guess* was made assuming you are just about to leave for your TD, or have recently arrived at it)

If so...

1. You are *posted* to Kingston.  You can only receive PLD when you do NOT occupy SQs, and only to the PLDA (PLD Area) that you are posted to, if you are in a PLDA  (as mentioned several times to you, Kingston does not get PLD, because the PLD was assessed as under $50 monthly, and not payable under the revised PLD policy IIRC).  CCPS is set up that you cannot have SQ deductions AND receive PLD (according to the Clerks, when I was vacating SQs and waiting for PLD to be added to my pay guide, as the Accn folks hadn't ceased my SQ deductions right away).

2.  TD is "temporaty duty", meaning *away from your normal place of duty* but you remain under the Admin control of your current unit.  (AFAIK, that is the main difference between TD and an Attach Posting, neither of which is a POSTING)

3. If you don't have an apartment, any HG & E, etc and are living-in at Base Borden, you are paying R & Q in Borden, right?.  IIRC, that means you will get R & Q for your TD in Esq "on the Crown" as you are paying for it in Borden (I am assuming you didn't have to vacate your SQ in Borden for your TD).  Either way, you will not pay for R & Q for both Borden and Esq.  You are SOL for PLD, and I'll say this as you mentioned "renting" while on TD...do NOT get into a lease in Esq. 

Lastly, in the quote of your post above, you have to read AND include the whole sentence for proper interpretation of the meaning.  The "if the member is authorized to..." part is the key.  On TD, I can guaruntee you are NOT auth'd to move your HG & E. 

* I was bored over lunch and wanted to play Sherlock Holmes as I saw the movie trailor recently.  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
and I'll say this as you mentioned "renting" while on TD...do NOT get into a lease in Esq. 

You mentioned not getting into a lease in Esq.  Is this specifically because of his short duration there, or was it more a statement about leasing in Esq. more generally speaking?  The reason I ask is that, Esq. is going to be in my future as a full posting sooner or later.

I mentioned it because he is going on TD, not a posting.

Some people may wrongly think the CF will come good if they sign a lease and then have to break it, which is not the case if you are on TD.  Heck, I am not even sure of the rules on that now via IRP if you are in a lease that you have to get out of because of a posting.

I mentioned it,as IMO, the OP seemed to think there was an entitlement to PLD ($800+ for Esq) and assumed that was what he/she was hoping would *help pay the rent* while on TD.

It is easy sometimes for mbrs who don't know the regulations DCBA has to get themselves into a situation whereby they put themselves in financial stress, risking becoming an "administrative burden", which is NOT a good thing.

Hey. I have a question, and I know I will probably get chewed out for it becuase its somewhere on this site already. If it is, I would appreciate if someone could direct me to the site link :)

I was wondering how much the army pays you to live off base in Esquimalt. I have a friend in Edmonton and the CF actually pays him almost 500$ a month to live off base. I was wondering what other bases had this, and how much they are.

Thanks!
Kaitlyn

He doesn't get "paid to live off base."  In some areas of Canada an allowance is paid to members to offset the higher costs of living in those areas.  This allowance is called Post Living Differential (PLD) and it can vary from less than $100 to over $1000 per month.  In many areas there is no PLD rate.

Here is one post from March 2009 to give you an idea of the range of PLD rates:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81682/post-824162.html#msg824162

-Skeletor- said:
Search the forum for PLD

How would she even know what PLD was when she was asking with regard to a friend of hers? If you are going to tell her to do a search at least tell her what she is looking for and what it stands for...

Milnet.Ca Staff

I did a search and wasn't able to come up with an answer. I'm in the process of shopping for a house, I have been living in the shacks for a number of years. Was wondering if there is any rule on the max distance your residence can be away from your place of employment.

It varies from base to base.  Each base has a geographical boundary and if you want to live outside of that you must get approval from your CO (this is from 2008 IRP directive).

Both your primary residence and your place of duty need to be within a Post Living Differential Area, which is defined geographically, rather than a simple radius. Edit: You do not need to live in the same PLDA as your place of duty. If you live and work in different PLDAs, you will receive the lesser of the two rates applicable.

The maps of the areas in question appear to be the same ones located here: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/trgb-vdrg-eng.asp

In particular, the Halifax / Shearwater map is located here: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/hs-eng.asp

While searching I came across with this thread.

I am from New Westminster BC, which is in Greater Vancouver. PLD rate for Vancouver is approx $1200. I am living common law and have a mortgage. Since Vancouver will remain as my primary residence during basic and QL3, will I be entitled to PLD?

I taught I was not entitled but heard otherwise from somebody but wanted to double check. Clerk at CFRC Vancouver was busy so I could not talk to him, I will try to get a hold of him again. I also don't want to sound stupid when I talk to him.. Any input would be appreciated...

MI.....you don't start getting PLD until after BMQ.  I was living in Halifax during my BMQ and did my ql3 here.  Thats when I started PLD....when I started my 3's.  However ,I wonder if it's that way for people who do their 3's away from home? 
  You'll receive free rations&quarters + separation pay from your wife.  Thats almost 1000 bucks a month savings your single buddies who live at home with mom won't receive.

Back