• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

You'd have to ask your OR through your course staff why you are being singled out. Just make sure you find someone else on course that is A. Prohibited posted, B. Has a residence maintained in a PLD area, C. is in quarters, D. currently collecting PLD for that area.

You'll end up having yours back or having theirs taken away.  :D

PuckChaser said:
You'd have to ask your OR through your course staff why you are being singled out. Just make sure you find someone else on course that is A. Prohibited posted, B. Has a residence maintained in a PLD area, C. is in quarters, D. currently collecting PLD for that area.

You'll end up having yours back or having theirs takenway.  :D
that sounds not good....I will be buddy f***ker >:D >:D :facepalm: :facepalm:

hathway said:
that sounds not good....I will be buddy f***ker >:D >:D :facepalm: :facepalm:

.....or get a commendation, in these austere times, for saving your school a whole hockey sock of money. Thereby, enhancing your career and promotion opportunities to the point where your losses today are far outdone by your gains in the future. ;)

Either way, the 'ringknocker' thing is passe in these times and you're not likely to have many real buddies by the time you graduate anyway. The only time that ring comes out is when the wearer wants something from you ;D

PuckChaser said:
Prohibited posted means you can't bring your household and family with you. The clarification is pretty clear (hence its a clarification). You are prohibited posted, occupying quarters where you are prohibited posted, therefore are ineligible for PLD where you maintain a residence in a PLD area (Toronto in your case).

That doesn't make sense to me.  My Google Fu is weak but I couldn't find what being on prohibited post entails.  I will do a better search tomorrow pm when a) have time b) can get on the DIN.

Nothing in the CBI on PLD excludes him.  An email from someone is not policy regardless of rank.  They should be able to show him the policy as it is written. 

MJP said:
That doesn't make sense to me.  My Google Fu is weak but I couldn't find what being on prohibited post entails.  I will do a better search tomorrow pm when a) have time b) can get on the DIN.

Nothing in the CBI on PLD excludes him.  An email from someone is not policy regardless of rank.  They should be able to show him the policy as it is written.

I will talk to MPSS staff tomorrow to ask to see the policy

IIRC, a mbr is entitled to PLD when they are prohibited posted and their D, HG and E is in a PLDA.  The key is where the D, HG and E is, not the mbr.  I found this specific ref in the CBIs and printed it for a friend who is prohibited posted to a loc in Ont, and has his D, HG and E in the Halifax PLDA.  He is also attending trg at a CF TE, in SQ and getting R & Q at public expense.

I am not at work now, but I believe I still have the email I sent to him with the exact CBI ref. 

Eye In The Sky said:
IIRC, a mbr is entitled to PLD when they are prohibited posted and their D, HG and E is in a PLDA.  The key is where the D, HG and E is, not the mbr.  I found this specific ref in the CBIs and printed it for a friend who is prohibited posted to a loc in Ont, and has his D, HG and E in the Halifax PLDA.  He is also attending trg at a CF TE, in SQ and getting R & Q at public expense.

I am not at work now, but I believe I still have the email I sent to him with the exact CBI ref.
Great this is a super good news, if you can find the material would please send it over to me? Thanks very appreciate  :salute: :bowing:

I will but also need to review current CBIs for clarity etc.  But, I don't recall changes in PLD entitlement being addressed recently.

Stand by to stand by!  ;D

All I have is the email there is no policy attached, and I can't find any new policy through DIN

Eye In The Sky said:
The key is where the D, HG and E is, not the mbr. 

Is someone having a brain fart?  Eye in the Sky is correct.....PLD is based on the location where your DHG&E was last moved at "public expense" or on your "place of enrolment".  Based on your circumstances (ie; Prohibited Posting and undergoing training) and provided that DND has never moved your family from the Toronto area, then you are entitled to PLD for that area.

I think the problem may be in your current Bases interpretation of the regulation given the recent changes to SE/IR that were announced and then delayed.

If you were married at the time of your enrolment and have NEVER been authorized to relocate your family (DHG&E), then you should be paid PLD until such time that you are occupation qualified and authorized to move your family to your first posting for employment.

DAA said:
Is someone having a brain fart?  Eye in the Sky is correct.....PLD is based on the location where your DHG&E was last moved at "public expense" or on your "place of enrolment".  Based on your circumstances (ie; Prohibited Posting and undergoing training) and provided that DND has never moved your family from the Toronto area, then you are entitled to PLD for that area.

I think the problem may be in your current Bases interpretation of the regulation given the recent changes to SE/IR that were announced and then delayed.

If you were married at the time of your enrolment and have NEVER been authorized to relocate your family (DHG&E), then you should be paid PLD until such time that you are occupation qualified and authorized to move your family to your first posting for employment.

I was married and had two kids when i was enrolled, and had PLD since then just when I was send to St-Jean for BMQ, the MPSS on St-Jean stopped my PLD, because there is an email from DCBA indicating
"after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

hathway said:
I was married and had two kids when i was enrolled, and had PLD since then just when I was send to St-Jean for BMQ, the MPSS on St-Jean stopped my PLD, because there is an email from DCBA indicating
"after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

That makes NO sense what so ever....think about!  What else are you going to occupy while on a Prohibited Posting?  You have no other option but to occupy quarters........

Actually, as I read it, it makes quite a bit of sense.  If you keep the residence where you were recruited and it's in a PLDA, you will not get PLD for that residence if you are prohibited posted elsewhere because that is where you were recruited.  Now, if you and your family were posted to Area A, which is in a PLDA, and then you were prohibited posted to Area B, you would still get PLD for Area A because it is in a location away from where you were recruited.

The point of PLD is to provide a bit of help to offset the costs of living in an area WHERE THE CF POSTED YOU.  If you still have a residence in the area where you were recruited, the CF didn't send you there.  That's where you started so why should they give you extra money?

Now, if you were to finish all your training and then the CF were to post you to the area which happens to be where you were recruited, you would likely be eligible for PLD.

CBI 205.45(1) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction: 

“principal residence” (résidence principale)means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:

iii.the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty;

For all intense purposes, your place of enrolment is considered to be your first place of duty.

Strike said:
Actually, as I read it, it makes quite a bit of sense.  If you keep the residence where you were recruited and it's in a PLDA, you will not get PLD for that residence if you are prohibited posted elsewhere because that is where you were recruited.  Now, if you and your family were posted to Area A, which is in a PLDA, and then you were prohibited posted to Area B, you would still get PLD for Area A because it is in a location away from where you were recruited.

The point of PLD is to provide a bit of help to offset the costs of living in an area WHERE THE CF POSTED YOU.  If you still have a residence in the area where you were recruited, the CF didn't send you there.  That's where you started so why should they give you extra money?

Now, if you were to finish all your training and then the CF were to post you to the area which happens to be where you were recruited, you would likely be eligible for PLD.

Quick addition....the mbr I was referring to in a previous post was a CT Res --> Reg.  He never moved D GH & E, his place of enrolment to the Regs is Hfx...and is entitled to PLD.  He was not moved to Hfx on enrolment.  :2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
Quick addition....the mbr I was referring to in a previous post was a CT Res --> Reg.  He never moved D GH & E, his place of enrolment to the Regs is Hfx...and is entitled to PLD.  He was not moved to Hfx on enrolment.  :2c:

But is that where he is working?  Or was he getting PLD on enrollment while being prohibited posted somewhere else?

DAA said:
CBI 205.45(1) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction: 

“principal residence” (résidence principale)means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:

iii.the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty;

For all intense purposes, your place of enrolment is considered to be your first place of duty.

in my case the place of enrolment and place of duty is same because I was enrolled at Toronto and went to collage at toronto too, and I had my PLD for two years already, just after i finished my school and posted to St-Jean to do my BMQ they stopped it. so I was entitled for my PLD before

hathway said:
in my case the place of enrolment and place of duty is same because I was enrolled at Toronto and went to collage at toronto too, and I had my PLD for two years already, just after i finished my school and posted to St-Jean to do my BMQ they stopped it. so I was entitled for my PLD before

Makes no difference.  You continue to be entitled to PLD until such time as DND/CF authorize a paid move and you exercise that entitlement.  It cannot be stopped until that time.  So if you enrolled in Toronto, went to school there and then go on your BMQ, you are still entitled to PLD provided your marital status has not changed and you continue to maintain a principle residence for your dependants.  The only way I can see PLD being ceased, would be if you moved your family into a relatives residence, in which case you're no longer maintaining a residence.

Back