• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

DAA said:
Makes no difference.  You continue to be entitled to PLD until such time as DND/CF authorize a paid move and you exercise that entitlement.  It cannot be stopped until that time.  So if you enrolled in Toronto, went to school there and then go on your BMQ, you are still entitled to PLD provided your marital status has not changed and you continue to maintain a principle residence for your dependants.  The only way I can see PLD being ceased, would be if you moved your family into a relatives residence, in which case you're no longer maintaining a residence.

Hi DAA, why would that change?  If he was entitled to PLD, why does change of address, for his family, cause a loss of PLD? 

dileas

tess

DAA said:
Makes no difference.  You continue to be entitled to PLD until such time as DND/CF authorize a paid move and you exercise that entitlement.  It cannot be stopped until that time.  So if you enrolled in Toronto, went to school there and then go on your BMQ, you are still entitled to PLD provided your marital status has not changed and you continue to maintain a principle residence for your dependants.  The only way I can see PLD being ceased, would be if you moved your family into a relatives residence, in which case you're no longer maintaining a residence.

I didn't change anything at all

Strike said:
But is that where he is working?  Or was he getting PLD on enrollment while being prohibited posted somewhere else?

He is Prohibited Posted to an Army TE in Ontario.  D, HG, and E are in Halifax.  He is in SQ with R & Q at public expense.

the 48th regulator said:
Hi DAA, why would that change?  If he was entitled to PLD, why does change of address, for his family, cause a loss of PLD? 

dileas

tess

The key to PLD is that you must be "maintaining" a principle residence for your dependants.  If you move them into a relatives residence, then it is assumed that you have no commitments and thus no "direct" out of pocket expenses similar to those that would be incurred had you maintained a house or apartment (ie; Rental or Lease Agreement, Mortgage, Hydro, Water, Gas, Phone, etc).  I have seen PLD ceased on a number of occasions in instances such as this.  A relatives home or friend for that matter, cannot be considered as a "principle" residence as the CF member has no "vested interested" in the property.

I think what we are seeing here, is a result of the changes to SE/IR benefits and someone reading too far into the regulations.

Sample - you are married with children, living in an apartment in Toronto.  Enrol in the CF and would then be posted Prohibited to undergo training.  Provided your family remains in that apartment and you continue to maintain the expenses associated with that, you are entitled to PLD at the time of enrolment.  Nothing will change until you are occupation qualified and "authorized" a funded relocation to your new place of duty, provided you remain Married/CL.

This issue in particular as it deals with new enrolments was addressed 10-15 years ago during the transition from AAA (Accommodation Assistance Allowance) to PLD.  Someone is obviously trying to reinvent the wheel.

Another example, a current serving member living in Toronto is posted to Kingston but proceeds unaccompanied (iR) leaving his family behind in Toronto and then occupies quarters in Kingston.  They would still be entitled to PLD for the Toronto area until such a time as they relocate their DHG&E to their new place of duty.

Oh pooh pooh.....after more research into this, DCBA has in fact changed the regulations regarding PLD entitlements at the time of enrolment.  Hence, the previous statement earlier of:

"after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

At the end of the day, there is no longer any entitlement to PLD at the time of enrolment.  :-(

Eye In The Sky said:
Just an honest question, is DCBA the AA for changes to CBIs?

No.  Per the NDA, pay & benefits are approved by the Treasury Board.

Internal to DND, DCBA and DPPD do the legwork of writing submissions, based on Governement direction, for comp & ben.  They are under DGCB, part of CMP.

Submissions are reviewed by the VCDS and ADM(Fin CS) staff, then are approved internal to DND by lawyers, VCDS, Chief Financial Officer, DM, MND, and then sent to the board for approval.

So, who is then responsible for this change in PLD policy?  I think they need a kick in the 'nads.

DAA said:
Oh pooh pooh.....after more research into this, DCBA has in fact changed the regulations regarding PLD entitlements at the time of enrolment.  Hence, the previous statement earlier of:

"after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

At the end of the day, there is no longer any entitlement to PLD at the time of enrolment.  :-(
Thanks for your reply, where did you find this info? This is new to me.

hathway said:
Thanks for your reply, where did you find this info? This is new to me.

New to me as well!!!  Got it from the "horses mouth" .  I would expect to see changes to the CBI shortly based on this.

I copied the PLD FAQ page today.  Interesting.  Read the last scenario.

Also, a review of CANFORGENs today reveal no update to the CBI in question. 

dapaterson said:
No.  Per the NDA, pay & benefits are approved by the Treasury Board.

Internal to DND, DCBA and DPPD do the legwork of writing submissions, based on Governement direction, for comp & ben.  They are under DGCB, part of CMP.

Submissions are reviewed by the VCDS and ADM(Fin CS) staff, then are approved internal to DND by lawyers, VCDS, Chief Financial Officer, DM, MND, and then sent to the board for approval.

Reading thru this nice and slow to make sure I got all the big words  ;D right, I don't see where DCBA has the authority to cease the entitlement, if one existed IAW the CBI, pending a change to the CBI that *may* be coming.  Mbr's entitled now remain entitled until such time as the CBI is amended by the AA (TB) and would not be grandfathered back in time. 

Am I on the wrong target AND a horrible grouping on this?

Someone brought up in conversation with me today, that as I am prohibited posted, 1/2 of a Svc Couple, that because he and our DF&E are located in Montreal, that I should be receiving partial-PLD. I am not, but is anyone knowledgeable on that particular issue?

got email from MPSS clerk my PLD issue is passed to her MCpl but will be delayed because they have other stuff to finish first:(:(:(

just heard PLD had a new policy now if your D F& E are not moved by DND then you are not entitle for the PLD in that area which means if you were lived there before your enrollment or you moved your D F&E by you self you not entitle for PLD and it started on Aug this year. I don't have the policy with me but one of my buddy asked to pay back over 3000$, is anyone have any idea this new change????

Ask  your OR for the CBI that states this.  Or the CANFORGEN.  I can tell you the CBI didn't last week.  One of the larger bases Comptroller org is of the same opinion I am.

Eye In The Sky said:
Ask  your OR for the CBI that states this.  Or the CANFORGEN.  I can tell you the CBI didn't last week.  One of the larger bases Comptroller org is of the same opinion I am.

will inform every one once i got any info

I was in for only a few years and each OR I went to re-engaged my PLD paperwork (as each respective OR did not have the info).  They ALL stated that I was entitled to PLD since day one of BMQ.  Everybody began the paperwork but nobody finished it.

My recent base began my PLD paperwork, yet again, and stated that I was eligible.

During my final appointment with release (last day), I was told I was NOT eligible for that very reason-that the DND did not move my D F&E. 

It just doesn't make sense.  If the policy came into effect in 2012, then those who were enrolled and entitled PRIOR to it coming into effect should still be eligible for the duration of when the above policy was not in effect.

Here is my case.

-Lived in GTA, enrolled, attened BMQ in St. Jean
-Maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-QL3 in Borden, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)
-Posted to Trenton, still maintained primary residence in GTA (on IR)

If me not being eligible to receive PLD is not correct, could somebody please shed some light?

Thank you for reading.

You are entitled to PLD for Toronto if you're posted to Trenton? I understand getting it for your QL3/PAT period, but the other part sounds like why the rumours keep coming that they want to kill PLD.

Back