• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

ARMY_101 said:
$1000 per month on a mortgage isn't unreasonable in a growing number of cities; rent is easily that price or more for a basic one bedroom apartment, so why not spend it on owning property?
I absolutely agree.

However, you said
ARMY_101 said:
A corporal making $50,000 per year (for rounding sake) spending $2,000 per month on a mortgage.....

I was using two different examples, with one being clearly more affordable and easier for a Cpl to afford.

My point was, instead of PLD being tied to geographic region and receiving money based on that city, that it be tied to salary while still accounting for the market.

$1000 per month for a Cpl's mortgage puts his housing affordability right around 25%. Assuming $1000 is the average in the area, if the Cpl cannot find housing and ends up in a house with a $1200 per month mortgage, then the PLD covers the $200 difference.

A Capt, on the other hand, would not get $200/month to help with his $1200 mortgage.

ARMY_101 said:
My point was, instead of PLD being tied to geographic region and receiving money based on that city, that it be tied to salary while still accounting for the market.
And my point was, because the Treasury Board doesn't determine our pay that way.....no matter how much one may wish otherwise, it's best to work within reality, and consider other options to live within one's means.

ARMY_101 said:
I was using two different examples, with one being clearly more affordable and easier for a Cpl to afford.

$1000 per month for a Cpl's mortgage puts his housing affordability right around 25%. Assuming $1000 is the average in the area, if the Cpl cannot find housing and ends up in a house with a $1200 per month mortgage, then the PLD covers the $200 difference.

A Capt, on the other hand, would not get $200/month to help with his $1200 mortgage.

Why even bother having pay scales then??  Let's just say EVERYONE gets the same pay.............

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Why even bother having pay scales then??  Let's just say EVERYONE gets the same pay.............

A Colonel is paid more than a Private because the former's work experience, qualifications, and value to the organization are significantly more than the latter.

ARMY_101 said:
A Colonel is paid more than a Private because the former's work experience, qualifications, and value to the organization are significantly more than the latter.

Which you would dilute by giving him no PLD....

PPCLI Guy said:
Which you would dilute by giving him no PLD....

Is PLD not to compensate for higher-than-average expenses in a city compared to another city? A bag of milk for a Colonel is the same as for a Corporal, but one has significantly more resources (i.e. a higher salary) than the other.

ARMY_101 said:
Is PLD not to compensate for higher-than-average expenses in a city compared to another city? A bag of milk for a Colonel is the same as for a Corporal, but one has significantly more resources (i.e. a higher salary) than the other.

Why would a Cpl get PLD, but not a Col?

PLD is not supposed to be a form of income supplement/welfare for those members with lower incomes.

Spectrum said:
Why would a Cpl get PLD, but not a Col?

PLD is not supposed to be a form of income supplement/welfare for those members with lower incomes.

I agree. Either everyone should get PLD in the area or none.
I do also agree that the PLD should be more flexible to changing economies. Several years to review a system that is supposed to reflect the cost of living in areas is too long.

From CANFORGEN 084/10:

PERSONNEL ARE REMINDED THAT PLD IS SEPARATE FROM PAY AND IS INTENDED ONLY AS A CUSHION AGAINST EXPENSES INCURRED WHILE LIVING IN A HIGH COST OF LIVING AREA. ACCORDINGLY PLD SHOULD NOT BE FACTORED IN WHEN MAKING FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS.

Why can'tI find PLD rates for Comox, Bagotville, Greenwood or Trenton? However, I can Find trail BC, Sarnia On and red deer alberta.

Tcm621 said:
Why can't I find PLD rates for Comox, Bagotville, Greenwood or Trenton?

Because none of those bases are PLD areas. PLD is supposed to be awarded for named locations considered more expensive than the NCR -- those four communities aren't on the list.

Tcm621 said:
Why can'tI find PLD rates for Comox, Bagotville, Greenwood or Trenton? However, I can Find trail BC, Sarnia On and red deer alberta.

If there is no rate for a location, the rate is zero.  Listings include "zero" only for places that at one time were in receipt of PLD.

Other locations appear because there are personnel posted to those locations who are therefore entitled to PLD.

A lot of the place never had PLD. Gander, Trail, Chiliwack, etc were never in reciept of PLD.

Why is there no PLD in Greenwood? It is only 1 hour from Halifax, which has PLD? income tax is the same GST is the same gas in a bit more and land taxes and housing is about par ( with the exeption you get a bit more land)?

Tcm621 said:
A lot of the place never had PLD. Gander, Trail, Chiliwack, etc were never in reciept of PLD.

Not only is Gander expensive, the reality is you see empty shelves in the grocery store, especially when the ferry is tied up. So we can debate the price of chicken or milk, but it has to be avail for purchase to have that debate.  And don't own a VW as there is no dealer so you will drive 3.5 hours to St John's.

I have looked through this thread and others, but still have a question. My husband and I will be house hunting in Halifax soon and our real estate agent has asked us to put together a pre-trip shopping list. My question is: what is the geographic area for Halifax that is eligible for PLD? It is not unusual for people to commute 50 km into the city, but I am assuming that isn't part of the area. Any information is helpful!

mkil said:
I have looked through this thread and others, but still have a question. My husband and I will be house hunting in Halifax soon and our real estate agent has asked us to put together a pre-trip shopping list. My question is: what is the geographic area for Halifax that is eligible for PLD? It is not unusual for people to commute 50 km into the city, but I am assuming that isn't part of the area. Any information is helpful!

There is a map of HRM and a PLD "bubble" drawn around it, not sure where to access it though.  With all the cutbacks in Halifax right now, lots of pers are bracing for the PLD to be cut back severely or disappear all together. I hope it doesn't but who knows.

Back