• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

It also means a pay cut to Cpls and above in Edmonton — who were previously collecting 684 a month in PLD. Now clearly the economy of Edmonton isn’t exactly what it used to be — but the 1CMBG units in Edmonton used to be notorious for high attrition to the oil patch. This allowance risks encouraging the same kind of attrition, especially if it isn’t regularly adjusted and stays locked in for another 15 years.
A lot of folks in Edmonton had that high rate of PLD factored into their income, especially when trying to qualify for a mortgage. There were also quite a few folks that have been in place for 15 years and collecting the allowance continually. If folks are going to make a stink because DPPD clued into the slush fund, that's on them.

Also, the Patch isn't at all what it once was. Especially as the Just Transition is starting to take effect. There will be quite a few folks that are going to have to face up to the consequences of their own assumptions.

The CAF giveth, and the CAF can taketh away.

With the middle finger Spec 1 trades we given compared to Standard and Spec 2, and the PLD change, my monthly total will go down.

Accordingly, so will my GAFF and willingness to do...oh, pretty much anything I don't really want to.

It also means a pay cut to Cpls and above in Edmonton — who were previously collecting 684 a month in PLD. Now clearly the economy of Edmonton isn’t exactly what it used to be — but the 1CMBG units in Edmonton used to be notorious for high attrition to the oil patch. This allowance risks encouraging the same kind of attrition, especially if it isn’t regularly adjusted and stays locked in for another 15 years.
Doesn’t just risk it, it encourages it. I wonder if this is to encourage members to seek postings ?

@Halifax Tar i think I may have missed it and you are correct.

A lot of folks in Edmonton had that high rate of PLD factored into their income, especially when trying to qualify for a mortgage. There were also quite a few folks that have been in place for 15 years and collecting the allowance continually. If folks are going to make a stink because DPPD clued into the slush fund, that's on them.

Also, the Patch isn't at all what it once was. Especially as the Just Transition is starting to take effect. There will be quite a few folks that are going to have to face up to the consequences of their own assumptions.

The CAF giveth, and the CAF can taketh away.
The CAF isn't really in a position to "take away", given the staffing shortages we already have.

I was approached to apply for a job that pays less than what I make now, but combined with my pension would put me over a Capt. PI10 pay scale(aka. more than the CAF will ever pay me)... If I can find work in a field that pays that way, I suspect a lot of the Snr NCMs losing PLD can find work that combined with their pension puts them back to at least what they had been making.

It appears if you manage to pay off your home you are no longer entitled either. To qualify for the new benefit you must provide mortgage or rental agreement.

It appears if you manage to pay off your home you are no longer entitled either. To qualify for the new benefit you must provide mortgage or rental agreement.
In fairness, I get that decision.

The point of a housing benefit is to make affording housing easier, if you aren't making payments on a house, then you don't nee a housing benefit. That doesn't make it less of a pay cut, but at least it's a defensible pay cut.

The CAF isn't really in a position to "take away", given the staffing shortages we already have.

I was approached to apply for a job that pays less than what I make now, but combined with my pension would put me over a Capt. PI10 pay scale(aka. more than the CAF will ever pay me)... If I can find work in a field that pays that way, I suspect a lot of the Snr NCMs losing PLD can find work that combined with their pension puts them back to at least what they had been making.
I don't disagree. This will help and hinder all members of the CAF in one way or another; it all depends on who you ask I guess.

I've always said there are no stupid questions, only stupid people, so let me be a stupid person here for a second: Are PMQs also ineligible for this benefit? I've read both the CANFORGEN and the CBI ref and while neither seems to state specifically (unless I'm blind and/or skimming past it), it seems that PMQ residents will NOT be eligible for the new CFHD.

Seems kind of sketchy, since PMQ residents would have been eligible for PLD, since the CFHA aims to have their rental costs attempt to match civilian markets in order to create fairness to those who don't live in the Q's.

I mean, if the benefit doesn't apply to PMQs, can they either STOP increasing the rental costs or START doing actual maintenance in the units so that the residents aren't living in vermin-infested asbestos-traps with their families?

Just a thought...

With the middle finger Spec 1 trades we given compared to Standard and Spec 2, and the PLD change, my monthly total will go down.

Accordingly, so will my GAFF and willingness to do...oh, pretty much anything I don't really want to.

How are you losing money ?

You still have Spec 1 and there is a 10% pay raise. I dont think you had PLD to lose in GW did you ?

I've always said there are no stupid questions, only stupid people, so let me be a stupid person here for a second: Are PMQs also ineligible for this benefit? I've read both the CANFORGEN and the CBI ref and while neither seems to state specifically (unless I'm blind and/or skimming past it), it seems that PMQ residents will NOT be eligible for the new CFHD.

Seems kind of sketchy, since PMQ residents would have been eligible for PLD, since the CFHA aims to have their rental costs attempt to match civilian markets in order to create fairness to those who don't live in the Q's.

I mean, if the benefit doesn't apply to PMQs, can they either STOP increasing the rental costs or START doing actual maintenance in the units so that the residents aren't living in vermin-infested asbestos-traps with their families?

Just a thought...

That's my understanding from the brief. PMQ patch loses CFHD because the rent in the PMQ patch.

You're also talking about a good portion of the RCN, this truly has the indicator of being a near death blow for the RCN.

Just a thought...
The intent of the CAFHD is to mitigate housing cost and provide an equivalent level of protection as renting a PMQ does. You can’t be charged more than 25% of your gross income for a PMQ. The HD is structured that way, based on the cost of an average 2 bedroom appartement in each location. People living in PMQs are not eligible for the CAFHD.

The intent of the CAFHD is to mitigate housing cost and provide an equivalent level of protection as renting a PMQ does. You can’t be charged more than 25% of your gross income for a PMQ. The HD is structured that way, based on the cost of an average 2 bedroom appartement in each location. People living in PMQs are not eligible for the CAFHD.

That is beginning 01 Jul?

Wow. I think some service members are justifiably angry.

I will just throw this out there - for anyone upset with something about CAF pay and benefits, please ensure to include "relative to X" in your point, as it will be helpful in understanding the merits of the argument, especially if you frame it with other Canadian wage earners.

Back