• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

CDS - we need to scale back and focus on reconstitution and training.
GoC - Full steam ahead!
CAF be like....WE GOT THIS!!!!!!

Uh Oh Surprise GIF by MotoAmerica

I do wonder when the situations were reversed, how many soldiers in Edmonton split thier PLD with soldiers in Pet?

Whats that? Nailed it??
Blame the troops for bad government policy... You secretly a Col working in NDHQ?

This is such a difficult topic to tackle. Those in the CAF that were actually involved in the process literally cannot talk about it or likely share their own opinions. Almost any General I’ve ever talked to on a personal basis actually knows the issues. But the solutions the troops are looking for aren’t in the realm of control of CAF leadership.

There was years of talk, people seeking a revamp of PLD in places with high cost of living. But I guarantee that those that were receiving it while living in places that had a lower-than-average cost didn’t complain about that benefit. We collectively got lucky it wasn’t reassessed earlier: had they reassessed PLD with the TB-mandated NCR baseline, say ten years ago, everyone but Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria would have lost it. If that reassessment was done now then cut that list to Vancouver only.

It’s rough news, it’s far from perfect. I’m saddened by the examples I’ve seen in analyses done by our membership that shows failings in the new structure. But I also get that it had to be done, and I have strong suspicion that the hands of our uniformed leadership were quite tied. I am, however, happy that the most junior of my maintenance team will at least be able to afford to get their own residence and be able to get some food on the table.

It’s still a long road. Do I think we can fix this? I don’t know. I quietly hope that the institutional leadership can see that there’s only one real option: to step up and protect what’s left of the “machine.”

We want to be awesome, at least I hope that each and everyone of you wants to be awesome. To fulfil deeper values, to get back to our roots of being a part of something that works not for profit, but for what’s right. But to do that, to get there, we must always prioritize the health of the “machine” first.

When I joined the CAF it needed an oil change, timing adjustment and tire rotation. It still worked, got down the road just fine with just a hiccup here and there. But now…now it needs a full restoration. Our institutional health is the lowest it’s ever been. I saw Op RECONSTITUTION as Gen. Eyre’s message that he gets this very fact.

Despite the messaging we hear from our command staff, I suspect (and am deeply hopeful) that they know it’s flawed and not what was hoped for. But the way it’s messaged is literally their job. I in no way whatsoever envy the position of our commanders. For them to speak against these policies in any way is pure career suicide (and a chargeable offence). It’s a brutal rock/hard place. I have full faith that they advocated as best they could, but this is just the best they could get from the holders of the purse strings.

At least that’s how I’m choosing to see things, makes the sleep a bit better at night.

One possible line of thinking is that this bandaid has to be ripped off so we may as well get it over with now.

I can't help but agree. I am also hopeful that enough people quit that we are the CAF is forced to do a total force reduction.
FTFY bud.

Divorces are hard.

@Griffon Great post, agree. Also, feel bad for BGen Tatersall (DGCB) who had to be the public face of that particular shit sandwich (which is apparently being called PAYCUTFORGEN). It's not like they were the ones that created the policy, just were the ones in the job when it came down from upon high, so are being quoted in the news.

Having said that, wished the RCN would take the same line with life safety orders and follow CAF direction and just remind people they need to be clean shaven. Lot of folks with big ass beards and goatees so no way they are all excused from duty watches or fire fighting. If they can follow unpopular orders on money they can stop trying to be popular by ignoring CAF orders from the CDS.

The spouses are mobilizing in Esq.

“It is crucial to understand that CFHD prioritizes those who require assistance the most in order that all CAF members are able to afford housing, regardless of where they are posted,”

This is clever messaging. Anyone higher than the rank of cpl who complains about losing money is being selfish and not 'for the troops'.

@Griffon Great post, agree. Also, feel bad for BGen Tatersall (DGCB) who had to be the public face of that particular shit sandwich (which is apparently being called PAYCUTFORGEN). It's not like they were the ones that created the policy, just were the ones in the job when it came down from upon high, so are being quoted in the news.

Having said that, wished the RCN would take the same line with life safety orders and follow CAF direction and just remind people they need to be clean shaven. Lot of folks with big ass beards and goatees so no way they are all excused from duty watches or fire fighting. If they can follow unpopular orders on money they can stop trying to be popular by ignoring CAF orders from the CDS.
Lets keep in mind that the CAF, in no way, controls pay and allowance levels. That is set Department/Treasury Board level.

It doesn’t make it suck less for those impacted, but people should at least understand who is calling the shots.

I wish someone who has better Excel skills (and time) than I would make a spreadsheet comparing the gain/loss from HD vs PLD, by rank/spec. Have each Excel sheet be a rank, and list by location like below (amounts made up):

Cpl Basic

Edmonton -200
Esquimalt + 200
NCR + 500

Make it colour-coded so it's really easy to see how many ranks/specs get more or less. There will be a lot of "neutral" because folks either have too high of a salary, or the place never had PLD and don't have HD.

I wish someone who has better Excel skills (and time) than I would make a spreadsheet comparing the gain/loss from HD vs PLD, by rank/spec. Have each Excel sheet be a rank, and list by location like below (amounts made up):

Cpl Basic

Edmonton -200
Esquimalt + 200
NCR + 500

Make it colour-coded so it's really easy to see how many ranks/specs get more or less. There will be a lot of "neutral" because folks either have too high of a salary, or the place never had PLD and don't have HD.
PM Inbound

Back