• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Well, from the CBI:

“Standard City” means the cost of living in the National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau), as determined by the Minister in consultation with independent firm(s) with the expertise in the field of cost of living determination. Standard City excludes data from isolated post locations.

“cost of living” (COL) means the sum of money required to provide for the following categories of household expenditures for a household of three persons, with a household income as may be determined from time to time by the Minister:
(i) shelter costs;
(ii) goods and Services – food at home, food away from home, household furnishings, clothing, domestic service (including day-care), medical care, personal care, recreation, tobacco, and alcohol;
(iii) transportation – operating and owning two automobiles; and
(iv) taxation – federal, provincial, and sales. (coût de la vie)

“marginal tax rate” means the second from the lowest personal federal tax rate combined with the applicable provincial or territorial tax rate without any surcharge or reduction. (taux marginal d’imposition)

(Policy) The purpose of the PLD is to reduce the adverse financial impact on military members and their families when posted to a PLDA (excluding isolated posts) with a COL above the national average. PLD rates represent the monthly differential between the COL at the Standard City and the COL at established PLDAs, grossed-up by the applicable marginal tax rate. PLD rates are taxable and are set annually based on a Treasury Board-approved methodology.

While the exact mathematical formula isn't there, one gets a pretty good sense of what goes in to the calculations.

Sorry to branch off of the Gagetown/Kingston thing, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between Transitional PLD and Regular PLD, and when someone is eligible/ineligible for the TPLD.  I ask as I am in Windsor and am being brought in to the Reg Force, and in Windsor there is only a TPLD allowance.

Thanks,
ekpiper

TPLD:  Your location was formerly in receipt of PLD.  It is no longer. TPLD is in place for those formerly in receipt of PLD as a series of steps to reduce the amount they receive, rather than a sharp shock all at once.

New people posted in or enrolled do not receive it.

dapaterson said:

If that's the case, then there's a whole lot of people in the NCR who owe it back...

I'm pretty sure you get it when you're posted in.  Enrolled, no - as you haven't been moved (posted) there.

Occam said:
If that's the case, then there's a whole lot of people in the NCR who owe it back...

I'm pretty sure you get it when you're posted in.  Enrolled, no - as you haven't been moved (posted) there.

Mea culpa - CANFORGEN 61-08 has the details.  You are correct.

dapaterson said:
Mea culpa - CANFORGEN 61-08 has the details.  You are correct.

Whew!  That would've been a rude kick in the ol' wallet!  :)

dapaterson said:
TPLD:  Your location was formerly in receipt of PLD.  It is no longer. TPLD is in place for those formerly in receipt of PLD as a series of steps to reduce the amount they receive, rather than a sharp shock all at once.

I think that you're right, depending on COS date and rank, in accordance with CBI 205.452(3):

Subject to paragraph (4), this instruction applies to:
(a) a member of Group A who meets the conditions of CBI 205.45 (Post Living Differential), and who’s principle residence was located in a TPLDA listed in the Table to this instruction at any time after 30 June 2007, but before 1 April 2008; or
(b) a member of Group B who meets the conditions of CBI 205.45 (Post Living Differential), and who’s principle residence was located in a TPLDA listed in the Table to this instruction at any time after 30 June 2007, but before 1 April 2009.

ArmyVern said:
What I meant was ... his PLD went UP while moving from Ontario TO Nova Scotia last year ... and he is still shocked by that considering how much better off he and his family are now (banking his entire PLD into savings every month) and still managing to enjoy "after work activities more often and better" down there in NS (IE: He is enjoying a much higher standard of living in NS ... and banking the entire PLD). Hmmmmmm.

Gotcha.  I misunderstood that.  Study-brain catching up to me I guess.

I guess it depends on everyone's personal financial state.  I know the PLD sure helps me and Mrs EITS month to month. 

My income tax return this year is a whooping $216.  62k earnings, about 14kish in taxes.  I'd love to get $700 back, if I got $4700 back..zoowie. 

But I'll agree with the comments that the way PLD is assessed now is kinda OTL.

Can anyone tell me where i can find info on what would be recieved for a recruit living in edmonton with a mortgage and dependants
also what is the R&Q at St. Jean?

just trying to work out a budget for the future which will help me decide between res and reg :cdn:

R&Q is approx 600 but you dont pay if you are married / common law with mortgage. (I am not sure about other dependents)

PLD is 684 for Edmonton

cheers

gotta love confusion, i spoke to a recruiter yesterday and he told me that i would not pay R&Q but no PLD ??? :cdn:

This from another thread http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/92926.0

DBF said:
CANFORGEN 090/09 CMP 039/09 141802Z MAY 09

SUBJ: POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL (PLD) 2009/2010 RATES

REFS: A. CBI 205.45 (POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL)
B. CBI 205.452 (TRANSITIONAL POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL)
C. CANFORGEN 061/08 CMP 024/08 311241Z MAR 08

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE THE TB APPROVED PLD RATES, EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09

2. IAW REF A THE FOLLOWING 2009 RATES ARE EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09, READ IN TWO COLUMNS: PLD AREA, 2009 FULL RATE: ALDERGROVE  418
CALGARY  711
CAMBRIDGE  71
COLD LAKE  319
EDMONTON  684
GUELPH  167
HALIFAX  631
HAMILTON  414
KAMLOOPS/KELOWNA  525
KITCHENER  62
LETHBRIDGE  234
MEAFORD  77
MEDICINE HAT  145
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE      505
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE  376
MOOSE JAW  284
NANAIMO  75
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER  117
RED DEER  327
REGINA  62
SASKATOON  382
SEPT-ILES  107
ST JOHN S  149
STRATFORD  82
TORONTO AREA 1  1485
TORONTO AREA 2  506
TORONTO AREA 3  522
TORONTO AREA 4  819
TORONTO AREA 5  1167
VANCOUVER  1083
VICTORIA/ESQUIMALT  816

3. TRANSITIONAL PLD (TPLD) WAS ESTABLISHED AT LOCATIONS THAT EXPERIENCED DECREASES IN PLD RATES AS A RESULT OF THE NEW PLD METHODOLOGY INTRODUCED EFFECTIVE 1 JUL 07. THE TPLD RATES CAN BE FOUND AT REF B WHERE GROUP A COMPRISES OFFICERS IN THE RANK OF CAPTAIN OR ABOVE, AND NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS IN THE RANK OF WARRANT OFFICER OR ABOVE AND GROUP B COMPRISES OFFICERS IN THE RANK OF LIEUTENANT OR BELOW, AND NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS IN THE RANK OF SERGEANT OR BELOW. THE FOLLOWING ARE THE TB APPROVED TPLD RATES EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09, READ IN THREE COLUMNS TPLD AREA, GROUP A FULL RATE, GROUP B FULL RATE:

TPLD AREA  GROUP A
FULL RATE    GROUP B
FULL RATE 
BARRIE/BORDEN  58  87 
BRANTFORD  76  114 
CAMBRIDGE  PLD  85 
CORNERBROOK  55  83 
GRAND FALLS/WINDSOR  89  133 
GUELPH  PLD  245 
HALIFAX  PLD  PLD 
HAMILTON  PLD  PLD 
KINGSTON  NA  16 
KITCHENER  113  170 
LONDON  NA  46 
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE  PLD  PLD 
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE  PLD  404 
NANAIMO  PLD  PLD 
NIAGARA/ST CATHARINES  116  174 
NORTH BAY  NA  6 
OTTAWA/GATINEAU  131  196 
PETERBOROUGH  NA  68 
QUEBEC CITY/VALCARTIER  126  189 
SEPT-ILES  PLD  112 
ST JOHN S  205  308 
ST-HYACINTHE  NA  24 
STRATFORD  138  207 
TORONTO AREA 1  PLD  1586 
TORONTO AREA 2  PLD  670 
TORONTO AREA 3  PLD  543 
TORONTO AREA 4  PLD  1006 
TORONTO AREA 5  PLD  1377 
WINDSOR  221  332 

4. IAW REF B CF PERSONNEL ARE ENTITLED TO THE GREATER OF PLD OR TPLD FOR THEIR LOCATION. ACCORDINGLY, EVEN THOUGH THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS HAVE TPLD RATES, THEY ARE AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE PLD VICE TPLD EFFECTIVE 1 APR 09: CAMBRIDGE  (RANK GROUP A) 
GUELPH  (RANK GROUP A) 
HALIFAX  (RANK GROUP A AND B) 
HAMILTON  (RANK GROUP A AND B) 
MONTREAL NORTH SHORE  (RANK GROUP A AND B) 
MONTREAL SOUTH SHORE      (RANK GROUP A) 
NANAIMO  (RANK GROUP A AND B) 
SEPT-ILES  (RANK GROUP A) 
TORONTO AREA 1  (RANK GROUP A) 
TORONTO AREA 2  (RANK GROUP A) 
TORONTO AREA 3  (RANK GROUP A) 
TORONTO AREA 4  (RANK GROUP A) 
TORONTO AREA 5  (RANK GROUP A) 

5. LOCATIONS NOT LISTED IN THIS MESSAGE ARE NOT PLD OR TPLD AREAS AND PERSONNEL AT THESE LOCATIONS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR EITHER ALLOWANCE

6. AS STATED PREVIOUSLY, PLD RATES MAY NOW BE SUBJECTED TO SIGNIFICANT INCREASES OR DECREASES FROM YEAR-TO-YEAR, CF PERSONNEL ARE HEREBY ADVISED NOT TO MAKE LONG-TERM FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS BASED ON THE ABOVE RATES

7. SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP.

MasterInstructor said:
I just wanted to let you know that I am at BMQ right now. All married/common law recruits were handed out a PLD Application and will be receiving it depending on their geographical location.

So why only married/common law?  What about a single recruit who is maintaining a primary residence?  I understand that they would not get free R&Q and SA, but they should get PLD.

A member without dependants who maintains a principal residence at a place of duty while serving on an attached posting, remains entitled to PLD for the duration of the posting, at the rate established in this instruction’s Table for that location’s PLDA.

TORONTO AREA 1  1485
TORONTO AREA 2  506
TORONTO AREA 3  522
TORONTO AREA 4  819
TORONTO AREA 5  1167

Is there a link somewhere that delineates these Toronto Areas? I will be living in Whitby while going to school and I am wondering if Whitby is considered part of one of these?

readytogo said:
gotta love confusion, i spoke to a recruiter yesterday and he told me that i would not pay R&Q but no PLD ??? :cdn:

I was told the same thing at CFRC Vancouver by a clerk but like I said, it is part of week 0 admin process, i did not have to ask for i, forms were filled put as a part of admin class...

I have been enjoying Vancouver PLD for some time now... I am now on Grad week!

I would offer that people check and double check before accepting PLD.  Do not take for granted that you think you are entitled.  A soldier of mine was given PLD in Toronto upon enrolment, attended St Jean, then the ATC.  When the soldier arrived in Petawawa at the unit, and processed through the IRPP consultant, they flagged the PLD payments.  It was investigated by the Base Comptroller, consulted with Ottawa.  Result - not entitled and $10,000 taken off the soldiers pay.  Soldier had a spouse as well.

Do you know the basis for the recovery?  Reference?

Thats a substantial amount of funds (and I would assume a reasonable repayment plan was put forth from the Unit CoC for approval?).

Its funny how they pick it up if you are receiving PLD but not entitled.  I know of one member of my last unit who was entitled to PLD (Halifax) and had never received it ever.  In fact, he had no idea there WAS such a thing as PLD.  It was another member of the unit who asked something about PLD...he then called over to the pay office.

End result he received PLD for Halifax backdated to...well to whenever PLD for Halifax was first introduced and had a HELL of a time trying to get the paperwork sorted out, mainly with Revenue Canada, as he had to adjust his tax returns for X amount of years.  PITA, but he did get the money in the end, or just over 50% after it was taxed to death. 

Reference?  Not off hand as we are deployed right now.  Payment plan - yes.  However, what we did do was approach the CM, have the soldier put on IR and back dated the IR so he ended up with enough funds to cover off the error. 

I just had a chat with my file manager a couple days ago and she did mention that I would be getting PLD. But that's something that I'll find out in September, but it would be dreamy if I could get 684 bucks a month for living in Edmonton.

Anyone know if this is actually true???

kkramar said:
I just had a chat with my file manager a couple days ago and she did mention that I would be getting PLD. But that's something that I'll find out in September, but it would be dreamy if I could get 684 bucks a month for living in Edmonton.

Anyone know if this is actually true???

Yes IF you maintained a residence in Edmonton while on training and until you received a posting to another area, you would get PLD.  However by your accounts you aren't going to maintain a residence and therefore would not be eligible.

Back