• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Am i ready?

Dante43

Inactive
Reaction score
So i started to have the idea of joining the army  in the summer of 08 so i've been training for it, altough i stopped running during the winter i continued the sit up/push up routine pretty well.

Currently i can do :
20 push up by doing around 12 then stopping although keeping form of push up, then doing the other 8 ( i can do 25 if i need to incase i did the others wrong).
Sit-up is not an issue.
Running, i did a test run, i was able to do 2km in 10 mins but i stopped. I did however stop running during those 10mins to walk around 30secs-1mins, so if i train some more i think i should be able to run those 2.4km non stop and do a good time. Also, last year in gym class we did the 20msr and i was able to get to stage 5 .

Currently i plan to finish high school in June and maybe have my diploma although it not guaranteed since im having alot of difficulty concentrating in school.
Should i go see my local recruiter and apply or should i wait 'till June to train some more so i can be in better shape? I am wondering because i dont know if most of the applicant are already top shape and able to do 100% what the military wants.

In my opinion, i have done good, since last year i was barely able to do 5 push up( wide grip) so yeah. :blotto:

Cheers.

With your current fitness level I would be prepared to be sent to RFT when/if you go to BMQ

Okay dokie, i will go see my local recruiter in the coming weeks. Thanks for your comment.

I have to agree with JBoyd regarding your fitness level.  You don't say how old you are but since you're still in school I'm thinking 17-18 years old.  I ran to level 5 on 20 MSR and I'm over 40.  Also, when you do your push ups for the ExPres test it's continual, there is no stopping.  For your age, you have to do 19 push ups.

Whatever else you do, finish high school.  If you're having "difficulty" concentrating in school now, you'll be no better off in the military while on BMQ or trades training (or anything else for that matter).  By all means, contact the CFRC but be prepared for anything.

Edit to add:  Sorry, I actually don't agree with JBoyd.  You are able to perform the minimum PT requirements so as not to be sent to WFT and I would certainly hope you would be able to pass your test by the end of BMQ.  At any rate, it's not like you would be enrolled immediately, so you still have time to work on your fitness level.

Hey there Dante43,  I have built a spread sheet that helps me to stay focused and motivated to work out. If you figure it may help you send me a PM and I can send it to you. It's in a Microsoft works format. All of the activities are calisthenics, and relatively easy to do by yourself and only takes me about 20-30 minutes, except for the running/walking, and such. I've noticed a substantial gain in endurance and strength in a somewhat short period of time (4 weeks.)
If anyone else is interested in this just send me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

Joe.

PMedMoe said:
I have to agree with JBoyd regarding your fitness level.  You don't say how old you are but since you're still in school I'm thinking 17-18 years old.  I ran to level 5 on 20 MSR and I'm over 40.  Also, when you do your push ups for the ExPres test it's continual, there is no stopping.  For your age, you have to do 19 push ups.

Whatever else you do, finish high school.  If you're having "difficulty" concentrating in school now, you'll be no better off in the military while on BMQ or trades training (or anything else for that matter).  By all means, contact the CFRC but be prepared for anything.

Edit to add:  Sorry, I actually don't agree with JBoyd.  You are able to perform the minimum PT requirements so as not to be sent to WFT and I would certainly hope you would be able to pass your test by the end of BMQ.  At any rate, it's not like you would be enrolled immediately, so you still have time to work on your fitness level.

Thanks for the advice, but quick question, so you are telling me i have to do the 19 push up non-stop? I cant do 15,but still stay in good push up form and rest for 1-3 secs, then redo the last 4?

No... they'll start counting from 1 again... and if you don't go all the way down they'll just repeat the number you were on until you go all the way down.

PMedMoe said:

I was judging by his saying he only hit level 5 on the 20 msr.  The rest of it sounds to be in good check yes, but definitely should make sure his cardio endurance is good to make level 6 or be prepared to be sent to WFT if he fails his express test. I only was stating that by his current fitness levels, he has plenty of time to increase those levels to a position where he would have no problem with the PT test at BMQ. 

Out of curiosity since changing the name from RFT to WFT have also changed the minimum PT requirements?

Dante43 said:
Thanks for the advice, but quick question, so you are telling me i have to do the 19 push up non-stop? I cant do 15,but still stay in good push up form and rest for 1-3 secs, then redo the last 4?

19 consecutive pushups.  If you pause you fail.  Not so hard to understand.

DisplacedMaritimer said:
No... they'll start counting from 1 again... and if you don't go all the way down they'll just repeat the number you were on until you go all the way down.

That's right. But dude, look up the 100 push-ups challenge on the Internet. IMHO, 95% of the population can get up to AT least 50 push-ups in a row within 5-6 weeks, and that program is one of those which might get you there, at a huge 10 minutes per day 3 times a week. While you're at it, try it for chin-ups as well (ouch...) and soon you'll impress yourself. My  :2c:

I'd say you should be able to do 20 push-ups no stopping and be able to run 5km before you go to BMQ that way you wouldn't have to go RFT. So IMO finish your school and apply in June and just work on your pt.

TimBit said:
That's right. But dude, look up the 100 push-ups challenge on the Internet. IMHO, 95% of the population can get up to AT least 50 push-ups in a row within 5-6 weeks, and that program is one of those which might get you there, at a huge 10 minutes per day 3 times a week. While you're at it, try it for chin-ups as well (ouch...) and soon you'll impress yourself. My  :2c:

I'm on week 4 and I think it works really good, before I would get really tired around 30 push-ups but now I'm really comfortable and I'm getting up to 50 push-ups or more. It's great!

Dylan

JBoyd said:
Out of curiosity since changing the name from RFT to WFT have also changed the minimum PT requirements?

Yes, it's posted somewhere on here about having to do X amount of push ups and sit ups the first week of BMQ.  Otherwise you go to WFT right away.  IIFC, they do progress checks throughout BMQ and you can still be sent to WFT and of course, if you don't pass the final PT test, you are definately going to WFT.  He only needs one more level on the 20 MSR for a pass, he should be able to attain that.

Also, as I said, it's not like he'll be on BMQ next week if he applies tomorrow.

Yes, to verify, the push ups must be consecutive or continuous.  Up, down, up, down, no pauses.

PMedMoe said:
Yes, it's posted somewhere on here about having to do X amount of push ups and sit ups the first week of BMQ.  Otherwise you go to WFT right away.  IIFC, they do progress checks throughout BMQ and you can still be sent to WFT and of course, if you don't pass the final PT test, you are definately going to WFT.

I have read the post that states that there is now a minimum PT standard to even get on WFT or you are RTM'ed, along with a new 'no VR before week 5' rule? This is all apparently supposed to come into effect 1 Apr 09 according to that post, is there any official reports regarding this? or anyone currently at BMQ that can support this? Personally I cannot understand why they would pay your flight out there for the chance to not get on WFT and then be flown back home.

Is it possible to fail the 20 msr but pass all 3 strength test and avoid WFT?  My running is a bit iffy but my strength will have no problem passing the rest of the test.

No, if you fail the 20 MSR you go directly to WFT. If you are a male under 34 and do not make it to 3.5 or better on the 20 MSR as of April 1st, 2009, you go home.

I'm starting BMQ on 6 April, and about 4 times so far the recruiters were very specific with me that as a Male under 34 I must reach at least 3.5 on the 20 MSR, and do 4 Push ups to qualify for WFT. If I do not reach this minimum I am sent directly home. Seems like unbelieveably low standards however... slow jog for 3 minutes and 4 push ups is low... I am worried about getting to 6 still but I can run pretty steadily for 30 minutes straight for a distance of about 3.5 miles, and I can do the 2.4 km in about 13 minutes, which is about a minute too slow... I've been trying to gauge the 20 MSR against this, but I'm having a hard time finding out how I could compare, because of the constant start/stop in the test, as well as the turning, and the reaction time between beep to run. Any insight that could be lent in this thread I guess would be helpful to myself as well.

rjr said:
Is it possible to fail the 20 msr but pass all 3 strength test and avoid WFT?  My running is a bit iffy but my strength will have no problem passing the rest of the test.

When I went on basic and RFT was still RFT the rules were:
Fail the run, even if you pass all 3 strength tests = RFT
Pass the run but fail 2 strength tests = RFT

Could have changed since it has now become WFT but I doubt it.  Running is very important on basic and you want to be able to do that well.

Could someone enlighten us about WFT?

On topic : i did a test and was able to do 20 consecutive push up! I am so happy, im going to follow the hundred push up challenge to improve even further!

Cheers!

Are these calculations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test#Calculations) complementary to the test used during the fitness test?

If so,  level 6 seems to be a joke.  My running is bad, but not that bad.

Dante43 said:
Could someone enlighten us about WFT?

Search the site, use WFT or RFT as key words.  I'm not even sure what it's called now.

Back