• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

[Answered] Earning HS credits in the CF

dustinm

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm interested in Med Tech but see that it requires Bio and one of Chem/Physics. I have neither of those, but think I would really enjoy the profession.

Anyway, are there equivalency tests I could take (whether in the CF or not) or courses I could complete (preferably within the Forces) to allow me to get the prereqs required?

My preferred way of doing things would be (as I can't get in straight off) to enroll and go into Infantry, go through BMQ/SQ/etc., and serve as an Infanteer while somewhow  getting the required credits (correspondence course?) and then transferring to Med Tech if/when there is an opening and it's in the best interest of myself and the Forces. (Man, saying that makes me feel like a lawyer. And not in a good way, Lol.)

Any advice? I'm young enough to actually enroll in high school courses but I'd rather a self-study option. 'course, I can't have everything I want :D

A lot of people have done it. Experiences can vary quite a bit depending on the operational tempo and your supervisors - which most of the time are very supportive. It is probably easier with more static trades but it is doable in the combat arms.

cheers,
Frank

You can always try The Independent Learning Centre in Ontario.  These are distance learning so that you do it on your own time, obviously within a certain time period.  The courses are only $40 (administrative fee).

Also, check to see if there's an Adult High School where you live.   You can search here.  Choose Adult High School Credit Programs for the service.

I got my advanced biology while in Petawawa and it was a self-paced course.  The only time I had to go in was for the two final exams.

ditto to the above.

You have many options here. If you have access to a computer you can do e-learning to receive your credits (if available) or like stated do correspondence work. They simply give you a book at a time, you finish the books at your own pace and write the exam.

The last option, in my opinion is the best. Try any adult day school in your area,  and take the courses during the day. You receive 2 credits in about a months time. It is cheap, easy and quick.

I have experience in all 3. For me the day school was easier, faster and produced better grades.

Good luck,

Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like my best option for me will be the ILC via correspondence, before I even enlist.

Thanks again,
Dustin

Back