• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any favourite BMQ memories?

I was told by my unit not to put a cap badge in because I'll earn it on course.  I get there and I get a minor jacking for not having it in.  Fair enough. About 6 days into the course the Sgt Major asked which unit I was in,  I said Comms.  He told me to get Signals slip ons. (I was also told to wear Canada slipons by my unit) In QM I asked for Signals slip ons,  a Warrent over heard me and started jacking me up... and Cpl joined in.  Thank god a 2Lt walked into the room and basically saved me. 

(I know this isn't a BMQ story,  but it all came about because there was no communication between my unit and the BMQ staff)

I was told that during BMQ, unit slip ons were for candidates going NCM and Canada was for OCdt.  However, most people in the course, regardless of their choice had Canada.  I was also told this by someone who had just graduated their BMQ; needless, I did not put much faith in their statement. 

As for the cap badge, I was given the impression (correctly so) that I was to wear it in my beret at all times, until such a time as I had earned my regimental headdress/cap badge.  That said, I did not get in trouble when it broke, I simply was asked by almost everyone (including other recruits) where it was.  When I explained what happened, most staff just shrugged and asked if I had requested a new one.  No big deal about it.

JarheadBC said:
I was told that during BMQ, unit slip ons were for candidates going NCM and Canada was for OCdt. 

huh I've never heard that before, weird. Well when I did my BMQ, I didn't have an officer on my course :) maybe that's why I've never heard about it  ;D

I just came back from the armory of my unit, and I asked for flaps and they did not ask nothing...they just handed me the units flaps.

:)

JarheadBC said:
I was told that during BMQ, unit slip ons were for candidates going NCM and Canada was for OCdt.  However, most people in the course, regardless of their choice had Canada.  I was also told this by someone who had just graduated their BMQ; needless, I did not put much faith in their statement. 

As for the cap badge, I was given the impression (correctly so) that I was to wear it in my beret at all times, until such a time as I had earned my regimental headdress/cap badge.  That said, I did not get in trouble when it broke, I simply was asked by almost everyone (including other recruits) where it was.  When I explained what happened, most staff just shrugged and asked if I had requested a new one.  No big deal about it.

Paragraph one: Whoever told you that...was a liar.

The Librarian said:
Paragraph one: Whoever told you that...was a liar.

Respectfully,  I've been told 5 different "facts" by different people.  I don't think people intend to lie,  however sometimes they simply don't know the official standard and they just go by what they know (or think is right).  It is frustrating when as a recruit you're told completely contradictory things to do.  Wear your cap badge,  don't wear it oh wait no wear this one insted ...

Well we do not have BMQ here in America but I assume these are memories from basic and AIT so I will jump feet first here

1) One of our troop was caught selling chewing tobacco therefore our drill Sgt had us move all our bunks along with clothing lockers downstairs from the third floor upon arrival to the bottom floor everything must be dressed right dressed.  Before the move we had been smoked from roughly 5pm - 10 at night

2) During FTX we learned how to kill a live animal (rabbit) they picked a fellow to kill it with a stick and he bashed it so many times it became retarded and he could not kill it so he started to get upset and cry

3) Having motor boat races across our bunk floors ( Which means you move all bunks, lockers and gear to the other side as the drill Sgt brings in 4 garbage pails of water with soap and we had to use our shower towels and line up and to "bear crawl" across till the floor was clean and dry.

Take care, Can-Am

I'm a little disturbed by point #2.  It seems pointless and cruel.

JarheadBC said:
I'm a little disturbed by point #2.  It seems pointless and cruel.

It was based ona survival if you were in the woods and could find no food.  I agree thought it was pointless it was taught by this spec ops fellow was not called for at that moment as we had also been running lanes all day.  Take care Can-Am

Can-american said:
It was based ona survival if you were in the woods and could find no food.  I agree thought it was pointless it was taught by this spec ops fellow was not called for at that moment as we had also been running lanes all day.  Take care Can-Am

I guess he'd never heard of keeping a wire snare in his survival kit like we're taught here?

Something about this whole scenario...just sounds waaaaaaaaaay off to me.

What, the rabbits don't stand around in the Maritimes and let you bash them??  Weird ;)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What, the rabbits don't stand around in the Maritimes and let you bash them??  Weird ;)
I wish, then I wouldn't have spent hours making snares  :D

Now I heard someone mention,
If good weed is your attention,
Don't cover them or keep them from the sun,

But now enters the rabbit,
Who seems to have a habit,
Of eating leaves of anything that green,
He'd get up on his hind feet,
And he'd begin to eat,
Until two feet of the stalk had been stripped clean.

Now there's a rabbit runnin' round,
He's hoppin' up and down,
He's freaked out, grins and wags his tail,
He's got two bloodshot eyes,
And he doesn't realize,
To get him high I could have gone to jail......

Ohhhh,...THAT rabbit..... :-X

[Thanks, Good Brothers]

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Hey Bruce, the guy was Special Ops!! Perhaps those guys can move a bit faster than angry, pissed off rabbits. They'd be moving very quickly, I'd assume, under, about and around various forms of shrubberies (say in coolest Monty Python voice you can).

The only rabbits that I've ever had the pleasure to meet that stood around like this to take on humans...were the big honkin' Arctic hares in Alert, and I can assure you...those rabbits would have removed the stick from anyone's hands to beat the human with it in a heartbeat.  ;)

Beating rabbits with a stick? Wow...wow... :eek:...ummm...wow.
If i have a rabbit within grasp, i hold its head and ears in one hand, hold its legs in the other and pull it with speed and aggression (as my Recruit instructors used to say) across my leg until theres a snapping noise and the rabbit stops moving. This means the rabbit has died and is now edible. I do not unless i suddenly drop 50 IQ points, start hitting the thing with a stick. If your able to hit it with a stick then your able to humanely break its neck.
I say again...wow...Maybe you should talk to the truth fairy and just edit that rabbit part out of your post, maybe you can save some of your already lagging credibility. Maybe

Hey,
I've seen rabbit beating before, and it was in cadets.
Winter survival, the cadet O had bought a domestic rabbit, (because they have apparently been told they were not allowed to harvest rabbits from wild)
the entire course stood outside while one survival instructor held the rabbits legs so it was vertical and another survival instructor took a tree branch that they had "decorated" with electrical tape and hit its neck at a downward angle,
it took 3 or 4 really solid hits for that rabbit to stop moving, then they showed us all how to gut it and cook it,
The rabbit killing was obscene for 14-15 year old's to watch and nothing I have seen in the reserves compares to it.

This is a true story, and there are several members of this site that were there that night.

Wow thats just terrible, there are more then a couple more humane and easier ways to kill an animal that I can think of right now, besides doesn't beating it like the ruin the meat somewhat?

Back