• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

any RCRs on Forum?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gota
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxhound said:
I've heard a couple of stories behind the reason that the 3rd company of 1 RCR is called "Charles" Coy.

The one I like the best dates from the Korean war.

The way the story goes is that the officers from Charley Coy. 1 RCR were invited to a mess dinner at another commonwealth regiment.   Instead of attending in combat dress, as were the other invitees, the officers dressed in full mess kit.   The other officers in attendance delcared that our officers were much too well-turned-out to be called "charley" and insisted that we be called "Charles" instead.

Interesting, I was in Charlie/Charles Coy in Korea and it is the first time I have heard it. The explanation we got was that the name Charlie wasn't good enough for Peter's Roaring Tigers.

Art Johnson said:
Gerry Can, get the name right we are The Royal Canadians, the Royal Regiment of Canada are refered to as the Royals. I was invalided out of the 1st Bn The Royal Canadian Regiment in 1952 but still retain a strong interest in the Regiment and it's museum. I am proud to have served in Canada's Premier Infantry Regiment as well as the foremost Canadian Highland Regiment the 48th Highlanders of Canada and it pains me to see some neophytes take liberties with their titles. Mark Bossi in a recent personal message put it very well "we are family". Do not mess with us we do not take kindly to interlopers.

Pro Patria

Dileas Gu Brath

God Bless ya Art,

You truly are a legend in both regiments!!

And it's Charles company that I served with when I was overseas in   94, otherwise CSM "The Grim" Preeper would make us do Sargeant Major PT if we got it wrong, loved the Polar bear flag flapping in the wing.

Pro Patria, Dileas, and on yer bike

tess

"Do or die for a bottle of rye!"

An old Charlie Coy 2 Bn The Royal Canadian Rgiment and 48th Highlander was posted to the Upper Camp today.

I regret to have to inform you of the death of Major David (Pappy) Renwick CD (Retired) in London Ontario early this morning. Maj Renwick had a number of health challenges recently although he was still volunteering at the Regimental Museum front desk as recently as 2002. He is survived by his wife Dorothy and two daughters.

Major Renwick served with the 48th Highlanders in WW II and came to the Regiment post war serving in Korea as a Platoon Commander with 2RCR. His career spanned many years after that comprising both UN service and NATO service in Germany. He was a Life Member and former Chairman of The RCR Association and was the Patron of the Home Station London and District Branch of the Association.

Details are not yet confirmed but it appears as though there will be an Association memorial service at in London ON on Sun evening 12 Dec 04 followed by a funeral and interment on Mon 13 Dec 04. Details will be promulgated as soon as they are known.

Any RCRs have word on probably 2Lt right now Ray Corby?

And did MCpl Chuck Solomons go back to 1 RCR?

:cdn:you are so f*****g right that it's disrespectful..................................some RCR you must have been Gerycan.....................i still have pride in 2 RCR and i have been out for 15 years............i still wear my 2 RCR shirt often................show some respect huh? ??? ???

RoyalHighlandFusilier said:
Any RCRs have word on probably 2Lt right now Ray Corby?

And did MCpl Chuck Solomons go back to 1 RCR?

solomons is still in meaford.
I know that name of corby, I can't remember how or why though, wasn't he 4 RCR?
Greg

No, he was an OCdt attached to my unit for like 4 yrs.

really?
huh, I've heard the name before, just can't put a face to it.
Greg

hastyrattle said:
:cdn:you are so f*****g right that it's disrespectful..................................some RCR you must have been Gerycan.....................i still have pride in 2 RCR and i have been out for 15 years............i still wear my 2 RCR shirt often................show some respect huh? ??? ???

What exactly are you talking about??? Some RCR i must have been??

Swing and a miss....  ::)

Regards

Sound Last Post.

jacowan.jpg

Brigadier-General (Retired) James A. Cowan passed away on January 1, 2005 at age 76 after a battle with Lung Cancer. He fought with the same courage and determination that took him so far in life. From humble beginnings as the son of a Toronto Policeman, he grew up during the Depression. At age 13, he started his military career as a Cadet with the 48th Highlanders of Canada in Toronto. On reaching age 18, he became a commissioned officer in the 48th Highlanders and volunteered for the Korean War. He served courageously in combat with the Royal Canadian Regiment of the 25th Canadian Infantry Brigade from 1950-52. Wounded in action by a grenade, the remaining mobile metal fragments in his leg were a source of continuing amusement for his children. After the Korean War in 1953, he was assigned to Canada's last aircraft carrier, HMCS Magnificent, and saw service in the North Atlantic, Mddle East, Panama & Pacific areas. In 1954-56, Jim returned to South-East Asia for peacekeeping duties with the International Truce Commission (Indo-China), serving in Vietnam and Laos. On return to Canada in 1957, he married Betty-June Ballantyne, a Nursing Sister in the Canadian Navy and graduate from the first class of degree Registered Nurses at the University of Toronto. His 39 year military career took him and the family around the world including India, Germany, England, the United States and rarely back to Canada. As a Lieutenant-Colonel, he commanded his beloved 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment in Soest, West Germany from 1968-70. He rose to the rank of Brigadier-General and completed his military career as Director General Reserves and Cadets in 1982 at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa. On retirement, he became Chief Executive Officer and Priory Secretary of St. John Ambulance (Canada). He was made Commander, Order of St. John by the Governor General in 1986. He retired again in 1988, wintering in St. Petersburg, Florida and the summers in Manotick, south of Ottawa. He was an active Rotarian for 30 years. His final battle with cancer started two years ago, eventually necessitating a move to North Bay for family support. Through chemotherapy, radiation and multiple complications he was stoic and unrelenting in his determination to win and survive. "General Jim" is survived by his wife, Betty-June and sons, Ian (Judy) of North Bay and Scott (Denise) of Miramichi, NB. Loved by five grandchildren - Christopher, Samantha, Matthew, Travis and Annie. The family would like to thank the staff at Empire Living Center, his home for the last year. Through difficult times, they were unrelenting in their kindness and compassion. The care of Dr. Joel Carter and the North Bay General Hospital (Emergency, CCU, 3W & 4W Scollard) was second to none. He was lovingly cared for in his final days by the Nurses and staff on 3 East McLaren. A private famfly service is planned. A Military Ceremony and interment at Beechwood National Military Cemetery of the Canadian Forces in Ottawa is scheduled for the Summer 2005.

I was 2Bn in the start of the seventies, just after they re-badged from the 2Bn Black Watch.
RCR are the oldest serving Line Regt in Canada :). I don't have the RCR avatar posted as I served the Guns in the "Mo" and can't post both.

I was a member of 1 RCR" Charles Coy "1994-2000.  Nice to see there are lots of Royals on the site. I feel safe knowing my right and left flank are covered by brothers in arms....

Message to old F and S....I do know squirrell (Mark S) he is definatley quite a funny guy and great for morale.

OLD F of S said:
        Does anyone remember an RCR Cpl nicknamed Squirrel, my contact with him was
on UNEF 2.  He ran the Jr Ranks mess in Camp Shams, I have never forgotten the show
he set for Xmas arranging for belly dancers to entertain the troops, not one of them
was smaller than a Sherman tank.  He made life alot easier for us Sigs by running the mess
24 hours a day. If anyone knows him pass on all the best to him.

Regards Old F of S
Mark is back in the regiment. He got back in a couple of years ago. He is in 3 RCR and finally has is Master Jacks

If it is the same guy I am thinking of, he is a Sgt in 3 RCR.

Ya that sounds like him. Mark "squirrel" Squires. little guy with glasses always bitching and complaining like he doesn't want to be here but always does agood job. He just got promoted to SGt a couple of weeks ago.

Greg

I was in 2 rcr from 95-2000 Juliet and Indian companies, anyone else there at that time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back