• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone have a CP Gear '64 pack?

M

MikeL

Wondering what people who have the CP Gear 64 pack think of it? Its worked out good for my brother, but I'd to hear from some other people, since I've heard that CP Gear doesnt hold up that well for field use; good quality ruck or did my brother just luck out kinda thing.

I love mine, got all the parts from them and put it on an ALICE frame, works great and holds together.

I've had it in the field and nothing has broken yet.

If you want to see pics of my setup, just gimmie a ring.

Crap. The pieces that you don't have to put weight on work great. i.e. the waist belt and back pad. The rest though not so good. Quality of construction is sub par. If your in the infantry and actually have to hump a heavy ruck save yourself the trouble and buy quality first. I would suggest the back pad and waist pad from CP as mentioned above, the bag modular from Dropzone http://www.dropzonetactical.com/backpacks/64alice.html, and I would highly suggest the shoulder straps from eagle http://sealsactiongear.com/catalog/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=327

You can buy cheap gear but you get what you pay for. Take the advice you get on sites like this with a grain of salt, and consider where they come from. The requirements and usage for a trucker, or jimmy are drastically different than that of infantry. Spend the money once for good kit and you will never have to again. Hope this helps

Just out of curiosity, having read numerous criticisms of CP Gear here, what are the main shortcomings? Stitching? Design? What are some typical failings?

I have the full CP 64 Ruck and I'm loving it. It's had no problems what so ever so far. Their quality is improving slowly.

You are right about the quality is improving slowly. For me, its not so much quality, as it is improving design. I think a lot of their designs are not on the money. They are definitely not end user driven and fall short I think for those that plan on using their kit heavily. Things are changing though. CP apparently has hired some new people to improve designs so I'm waiting out for some good changes and cool kit. Just for shits and giggles here is my ruck. Its a bit spendy though. Its based on a mystery ranch NICE frame ( www.mysteryranch.com ). Basically like a 64 frame but made out of high impact carbon fiber so it is light and flexes, unlike the aluminium frame. It also has a suspension system integrated into it, with a waist belt and lumbar pad that actually shift weight from your shoulders onto your hips. In essence its the suspension system of an internal frame ruck with the utility of an external frame. It is an AWESOME piece of kit! The valice is a customized version of a CP Gear valice, and the bag is a custom made 64 bag. Basically a normal 64 bag but much larger. With larger pockets on the outside. Hope its of some interest.

Ruckside.jpg

Ruckback.jpg

that looks like a drop zone one to me  ::) its good bag...and pricey!

It's a custom made bag. It was made by a guy named Al Janes (ex 3VP rigger).

Well if you see him, ask him where mine is...I paid him for it in 2001 and never got a bag.  :'(

wow thats shitty. I'm not really sure how to get in contact with him as I had it and my camelbak carrier done quite sometime ago. Sorry buds

I have bought two bags from Al and GOD D**N love them. The Green one I bought 3 yrs ago, a guy I was on my 6A's with, liked it and bought it. I then bought a CADPAT one with Mods.

I use a 64 pattern frame and issued Harness. I use an American kidney pad on the bottom. I used to have Al's number somewhere, I am sure somewhere in the VP kit shop would know how to get a hold of him.

I think also he was affiliated with Dropzone for some time. You might try them.

I have one from CP and it has worked out good for me no rips, and I have had tons of stuff in it, doing Infantry stuff. But the way I have mine the weight isn't on the main bag, but on the straps that I have going under the main bag that attach to the valice.

:skull:

One question on my behalf, has anyone bought the shoulder pads? How do they work? Velcro the pads to each other or something similar?

I'm just looking at some options to replace the shoulder straps on my pack since they're bloody wide.

I have the shoulder pads, and they work well for me. Better then the issued ones in my mind.

Back