• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application from Reservist to JTFF2

TmoCaf

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently in the process of joining the reserves, heard some rumors that JTF2 does take reservist applications anymore, is this true? 

My plan was to join reserves for a few years then apply for jtf2 as a reg force/full time member, since being reg force full time is much lower pay than my current job.

Anyone with insight on this?

There is a multitude of threads on this very subject (search function mate), however, I'll give you the TLDR:

All Operator positions are available to PRes NCMs who have reached their occupational function point (you need to be a Cpl to WO to apply for Special Operations Assaulter in the PRes), obviously though you need to get through the CAF recruitment process, pass BMQ, BMQ-L (if you're not infantry), and the courses required to reach your OFP.

In short you got a long road before this even becomes tenable to you.

TmoCaf said:
My plan was to join reserves for a few years then apply for jtf2 as a reg force/full time member, since being reg force full time is much lower pay than my current job.

Anyone with insight on this?

If you're joining for the money, you may want to re-evaluate your motivation.

Is there not great jobs and careers in the CAF that are not JTF2?  It is a beef that everyone wants to be ninja sniper

Example The assault pioneers looks every interesting from what I have read here.  Hell I think cook would be great training.   

I wish I could hire more CAF trained people. 

But if you really want it go for it and good luck.  Hard work and perseverance.  Even the trying is worth something. 

Why does everyone think they can join and make it to the elite side of the club house and become JTF-2.  It is like everyone joining the British Army making it to the SAS,  every sailor in the US Navy can be a SEAL. 

I have great  respect for those who have made to the top but those who think they  do it right off the street have bigger pipes dreams and egos will get hurt. You earn your way there.

Actually, unless things have changed you can become a SEAL basically right off the street. The US Army has (or had) similar entry programs for those who can cut it.

Also, it's not like there's never been a PRes member make it into CANSOFCOM. Don't know why you guys get so twisted out of shape.

FormerHorseGuard said:
Why does everyone think they can join and make it to the elite side of the club house and become JTF-2.  It is like everyone joining the British Army making it to the SAS,  every sailor in the US Navy can be a SEAL. 

I have great  respect for those who have made to the top but those who think they  do it right off the street have bigger pipes dreams and egos will get hurt. You earn your way there.

People go off the street to BUDs, I'm sorry I have aspirations man.
Why does anyone sign up for CAF, they might not make it through basic, right?

Nothing wrong with having aspirations, just have a backup plan as it is not easy to get accepted as an assaulter (for both regular force and reserve force). 

ModlrMike said:
If you're joining for the money, you may want to re-evaluate your motivation.

Not everyone joins out some sense of duty.  People have all sorts of reasons to join.  Money will always be a motivating factor.  Like it or not.

Remius said:
Not everyone joins out some sense of duty.  People have all sorts of reasons to join.  Money will always be a motivating factor.  Like it or not.

It's a motivating factor but their recruiters and especially members say people who try and join for the extra money don't make it.

Jarnhamar said:
It's a motivating factor but their recruiters and especially members say people who try and join for the extra money don't make it.

People join the CAF for all sorts of reasons. If you are talking specifically for JTF 2 then I agree but the OP didn’t say he was joining JTF 2 for the money.  My take is that is something he wants to do but anything else full time wouldn’t be worth it for him.  The reserves might offer him that chance without risking his current situation. 

Nothing wrong with that.

Remius said:
People join the CAF for all sorts of reasons. If you are talking specifically for JTF 2 then I agree but the OP didn’t say he was joining JTF 2 for the money.  My take is that is something he wants to do but anything else full time wouldn’t be worth it for him.  The reserves might offer him that chance without risking his current situation. 

Nothing wrong with that.

This is exactly it, I wanted to be reserve until I hit Corporal, since you get a significant pay increase. If I did not already have a mortgage I would not care about money, but I literally can't afford to drop my full time job right now. I hate this holier than thou attitude on here about money, if pay didn't matter how come we're arguably the highest paid military in the world? Why doesn't everyone here vouch to get paid minimum wage so we can invest more money into better equipment and kits??

Thank you for being reasonable.

dangerboy said:
Nothing wrong with having aspirations, just have a backup plan as it is not easy to get accepted as an assaulter (for both regular force and reserve force).
I know it's not easy, that's why I want to do it. Why is everyone on this board so discouraging?
Every interview and podcast I've listened to with current/former assaulters say that they encourage everyone to tryout.
I don't understand this bring me down attitude with the Canadian military, look at the US, if you say you want to be a SEAL, everyone tells you what you need to do, yes its hard, but they don't shove discouragement down your throat.

TmoCaf said:
I know it's not easy, that's why I want to do it. Why is everyone on this board so discouraging?
Every interview and podcast I've listened to with current/former assaulters say that they encourage everyone to tryout.
I don't understand this bring me down attitude with the Canadian military, look at the US, if you say you want to be a SEAL, everyone tells you what you need to do, yes its hard, but they don't shove discouragement down your throat.

Well if you read this thread, there are more people encouraging and giving advice than not. Just saying.

[quote author=TmoCaf]Why doesn't everyone here vouch to get paid minimum wage so we can invest more money into better equipment and kits??
[/quote]

Good idea. Start one of those online petitions and I'll sign.

Also you should join the reserves then apply for JTF2.

[quote author=TmoCaf] look at the US, if you say you want to be a SEAL, everyone tells you what you need to do, yes its hard, but they don't shove discouragement down your throat.
[/quote]
Out of curiosity where are you seeing this?

Remius said:

Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly. It sounds like a smart move on the part of the OP, actually. Also, once a RegF unit "owns" you they may go out of their way to block things such as SOF applications. I suppose a PRes unit could do the same, but I'd say they have less to gain.

Jarnhamar said:
Good idea. Start one of those online petitions and I'll sign.

Also you should join the reserves then apply for JTF2.
Out of curiosity where are you seeing this?

Reddit.com/r/navyseals
Entire community supporting their goals

reverse_engineer said:
Exactly. It sounds like a smart move on the part of the OP, actually. Also, once a RegF unit "owns" you they may go out of their way to block things such as SOF applications. I suppose a PRes unit could do the same, but I'd say they have less to gain.

Would they actually block my application? Does this happen??

reverse_engineer said:
That's why the Notice of Intent process was implemented. Units, and Career Managers, still have input, after the NOI has been submitted, but they can't just arbitrarily block an application from coming to the attention of SOF.

TmoCaf said:

If you read, you’ll see several posts throughout this site offering sage advice to potential recruits and those already serving who have varying aspirations within CAF. Interspersed, however, are those explaining the clear realities of what to expect. That shouldn’t be viewed as discouraging. You should be able to filter all  types of posts and use the info as critical means towards your goals.

Very few people are going to be openly cheering you on, giving you positive affirmations, and saying ‘go get’em tiger!’ (Figuratively speaking.) Instead, there’ll be those who will put it to you straight, will offer you their own experiences through service and job-knowledge, won’t sugar-coat anything and will let you prove yourself. A few will be cheering you on silently. That’s the reality.

You’re only doing yourself a disservice by calling out those who you feel aren’t being as positive about your goals as you think they should be. (As well, you need to understand that some are a little dismissive when it comes to Joe/Jill being all gung-ho about going JTF2 right off the bat. No one is saying it’s a bad thing. But you’ll understand more once you at least have your foot in the door.)

In the mean time, do a lot of reading. This is a great site, full of information and a place to help make connections for those who take the time and make the most of it.

Back