• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

I've never seen the level from FMF that I have from Irving.

What I have seen from FMF is a lazy workforce that pushes work to the last minute to gain overtime.

I remember when their riggers used to steal from our rations on the jetty. And we'd have to bribe them with rations to get work done. The Log world got fed up and BLog went and bought a bunch of zoom booms, trained up our Sup Tech's and now we don't use the riggers anymore unless the ZB can't reach or the material is too heavy; And because of that the riggers lost alot of positions.
Sounds like a Leadership problem, wasn't FMF once a Navy asset?

Sounds like a Leadership problem, wasn't FMF once a Navy asset?

Empires be empiring ...

It's it's own UIC separate from the CFB or MARLANT and I honestly don't know who it reports too. Could be an engineering wing of the RCN or ADM MAT somewhere maybe.

Empires be empiring ...

It's it's own UIC separate from the CFB or MARLANT and I honestly don't know who it reports too. Could be an engineering wing of the RCN or ADM MAT somewhere maybe.
As I recall a long time ago on this coast that FMF was based on the Cape Breton and the concept was that they were capable of being a mobile repair asset as opposed to a fixed landbased shipyard?

Empires be empiring ...

There are FMF COs but believe they fall under MARLANT/MARPAC, which is why N37 can give them direction on priority and authorize OT. On the Adm(Mat) side we just give them annual funding ($15M?) in funny money.

When they are doing EC work or similar that's sometimes under an LCMM DRMIS notification (N2?) so requests for OT have to get approved within MEPM. It gets complicated.

If it's stuff that I've seen in my day job as an HPR, then I'll guarantee you that it's got a photo attached to the MMR in DRMIS now.

I got caught short once on an inspection I did for materiel sent out west. 20 bolts, checked 10% (2) and both of them were correct size/shape/tolerances. Upon arrival in ESQ, the other 18 were found to have been missing the through hole for the lock wire. Ever since, I've been photographing every HPR and adding that to the MMR.

It's always fun to call up an LCMM and mention to him/her that there's a winch/widget/etc of theirs that has shown up on GC Surplus, and did they mean for it to go there? Usually a moment of dead space on the phone after I ask that question, followed by "SEND ME THE LINK" :)

With my current and past role, I have absented myself from anything to do with buying from GC Surplus, since I've got the ability to sentence items for DS, and don't want to ever end up being questioned about a conflict of interest. Personal integrity is something I try to value.

Can you tell me what a HPR is?

I’m really hoping the P is for Pirate but…

If it's stuff that I've seen in my day job as an HPR, then I'll guarantee you that it's got a photo attached to the MMR in DRMIS now.

I got caught short once on an inspection I did for materiel sent out west. 20 bolts, checked 10% (2) and both of them were correct size/shape/tolerances. Upon arrival in ESQ, the other 18 were found to have been missing the through hole for the lock wire. Ever since, I've been photographing every HPR and adding that to the MMR.

It's always fun to call up an LCMM and mention to him/her that there's a winch/widget/etc of theirs that has shown up on GC Surplus, and did they mean for it to go there? Usually a moment of dead space on the phone after I ask that question, followed by "SEND ME THE LINK" :)

With my current and past role, I have absented myself from anything to do with buying from GC Surplus, since I've got the ability to sentence items for DS, and don't want to ever end up being questioned about a conflict of interest. Personal integrity is something I try to value.
I've seen that on some items, it's always hugely appreciated (especially when you suddenly get 900 items, and DSCO has stripped all identifying information off after 'valve'). I'm looking forward to the updated IDE package, which, if it is as advertised, should be like all the repair part websites where you have photos, measurements, part #s etc against it in an easier interface than DRMIS, and can do minor pub/drawing updates directly through there.

HPR = High Priority Requirement

(Formerly called IOR - Immediate Operational Requirement, but someone realized that would preclude using the HPR for non-operational reasons, ie FMF or NDQAR forgot to order a part on time, so they changed it to HPR instead. No doubt someone mastered "Leading Change" that year.)

Can you tell me what a HPR is?

I’m really hoping the P is for Pirate but…
High Priority Request (for parts)

Requires an OPDEF (operational deficiency message) for the higher priority ones, but automatically authorizes things like priority shipping, and when category 1 HPRs come in they will (theoretically) call people in to get it pulled from the depot and shipped.

With the shortage of procurement people on the LCMM side, basically we only have time to buy against HPRs (ie none in the depot), then we go to 'expedited requests' (part demands tied to work orders in DRMIS for PM/CM), and then maybe some manual buys to fill bins.

Usually don't get to routine buys, so we've been padding HPR buys as much as possible without delaying the procurements by pushing the dollar amounts to the next threshold where additional delays kick in.

If I could find the person that thought 'Just in Time' was a good idea without making sure we could actually keep up with the buys I'd kick them in the nuts repeatedly. We are now buying 2-3 years worth (sometimes more) on our 'annual review' levels just because of how infrequently anyone can ever get to it.

In theory AOPs is being supported by the ISSC, but they still seem to be getting up to speed, and sometimes they draw items from the normal supply system. The initial provisioning is even worse; some genius decided that a lot of things would be GSM without making sure there was actually an entitlement set up or the LCMMs were even aware, so the first indication some of us got of that was when there was a demand from a new class of ship we weren't supposed to be supporting with parts that emptied the bins by drawing a years worth of normal spares in one go.

But was he prosecuted?
Most likely not.

In the private sector to get the police to investigate and the crown to prosecute its an uphill battle every time I have seen it. The crown thinks if the guy loses his job that is good enough. And its just crime on a "capitalist for profit business so who gives a shit."

HPR = High Priority Requirement

(Formerly called IOR - Immediate Operational Requirement, but someone realized that would preclude using the HPR for non-operational reasons, ie FMF or NDQAR forgot to order a part on time, so they changed it to HPR instead. No doubt someone mastered "Leading Change" that year.)

You're talking more and more like a Storesman every day ;)

High Priority Request (for parts)

Requires an OPDEF (operational deficiency message) for the higher priority ones, but automatically authorizes things like priority shipping, and when category 1 HPRs come in they will (theoretically) call people in to get it pulled from the depot and shipped.

With the shortage of procurement people on the LCMM side, basically we only have time to buy against HPRs (ie none in the depot), then we go to 'expedited requests' (part demands tied to work orders in DRMIS for PM/CM), and then maybe some manual buys to fill bins.

Usually don't get to routine buys, so we've been padding HPR buys as much as possible without delaying the procurements by pushing the dollar amounts to the next threshold where additional delays kick in.

If I could find the person that thought 'Just in Time' was a good idea without making sure we could actually keep up with the buys I'd kick them in the nuts repeatedly. We are now buying 2-3 years worth (sometimes more) on our 'annual review' levels just because of how infrequently anyone can ever get to it.

In theory AOPs is being supported by the ISSC, but they still seem to be getting up to speed, and sometimes they draw items from the normal supply system. The initial provisioning is even worse; some genius decided that a lot of things would be GSM without making sure there was actually an entitlement set up or the LCMMs were even aware, so the first indication some of us got of that was when there was a demand from a new class of ship we weren't supposed to be supporting with parts that emptied the bins by drawing a years worth of normal spares in one go.

One point of clarity an HPR is not an HPR without an OPDEF for the RCN side of the house. The engineering side creates the OPDEF, its brought to the Storesmen who then start the ball rolling on the material management. That's if every thing goes as planned and the engineers aren't trying to back door anything. The OPDEF is the instigation for the whole process.

@Eye In The Sky much like an AOG (Aircraft On Ground) message for you guys. It spools up priority shipping and duty people (if after hours) to get the part picked packed and shipped most riki tik.

Last edited:
That was Dan the valve guy in MEPM, and they found it on ebay (and then got a normal contract in place for the buy).

Ebay is actually a pretty good spot to identify old NSNs that don't have much on the system, and usually comes with pictures which is also great. Figured out what some legacy NSNs from the 60s and 70s were that way which were on my code.
Absolutely! In my current job, a few years back I sourced a few boiler combustion control system I/O cards that had been out of production for years on eBay. The pics of same were invaluable in determining it was the right part.

Absolutely! In my current job, a few years back I sourced a few boiler combustion control system I/O cards that had been out of production for years on eBay. The pics of same were invaluable in determining it was the right part.

This sounds more like an Antique Society forum discussion. Or a military museum. o_O

You're talking more and more like a Storesman every day ;)

One point of clarity an HPR is not an HPR without an OPDEF for the RCN side of the house. The engineering side creates the OPDEF, its brought to the Storesmen who then start the ball rolling on the material management. That's if every thing goes as planned and the engineers aren't trying to back door anything. The OPDEF is the instigation for the whole process.

@Eye In The Sky much like an AOG (Aircraft On Ground) message for you guys. It spools up priority shipping and duty people (if after hours) to get the part picked packed and shipped most riki tik.
Learning some basics on the supply side was probably the most bang for the buck I ever got; wish I had gotten the basic supply manager training a decade ago, but really useful on the LCMM side as well.

Which makes it really awkward for AOPs to try and HPR initial provisioning (because they don't have TICs or SCBAs for example) or ships in DWPs in places like Davie that are trying to reactivate to sail back when, in both cases, they aren't supposed to be putting out OPDEFs. It's kind of stupid, but someone expects us to suddenly read minds and anticipate future part requirements that no one tells us about, or somehow reduce a 9 month lead time to a few weeks if they wait a year to submit the demand/test the part.

Learning some basics on the supply side was probably the most bang for the buck I ever got; wish I had gotten the basic supply manager training a decade ago, but really useful on the LCMM side as well.

Which makes it really awkward for AOPs to try and HPR initial provisioning (because they don't have TICs or SCBAs for example) or ships in DWPs in places like Davie that are trying to reactivate to sail back when, in both cases, they aren't supposed to be putting out OPDEFs. It's kind of stupid, but someone expects us to suddenly read minds and anticipate future part requirements that no one tells us about, or somehow reduce a 9 month lead time to a few weeks if they wait a year to submit the demand/test the part.

I agree with you. And it's what happens when we let LogOs, who have little to no experience at the operational level in any facet of material management, go on their own and write policy.

I had a few for AOPs when I was at MLOC. We definitely had to improvise.

Wouldn't they start standing up stocklists for the AOP's as soon as the design is approved and building starts? Manufactures could give you information on normal wear rates and service items to use as a place to start your stocklist and projected needed stocklevels. Then add on normal items like bedding, PPE, replaceable electrical components (fuses, lightbulbs etc), machinary maintience items (zincs, filters, oils, impellers, etc) Then you start working on the more exotic items like specific valves, high wear pipe sections, spare glass and items unique to that design.

Back