• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Meaning every manufacturer would need ISO-trained translators. Maybe engineers should take the lead of Ikea and just use pictograms and little stick people.
and every AOP's would then come with this
images

I noticed the RCN was there in regards to personal, hopefully next year a AOP's can also be part of the exercise. CCG and USCG conduct Arctic SAR exercise.

Official GC announcement re. TRAPS deployment in Arctic aboard HMCS Harry DeWolf: Navy News | New sonar system tested aboard Harry DeWolf

I wonder how capable this system is? Could the plan be to use these as sonar picket ships for sub detection at the approaches to our Arctic waters? If so, the next question would be what would we be capable of doing to deter an incursion?

Well, seeing as the AOPS has no fitted ASW weapons, the two options that I would see are:

1 - Fly in a Cyclone with torps, leave the torps on the helo, launch the helo from the AOPS to drop torps on the sub

2 - AOPS Calls in an Aurora, who drops torps

Well, seeing as the AOPS has no fitted ASW weapons, the two options that I would see are:

1 - Fly in a Cyclone with torps, leave the torps on the helo, launch the helo from the AOPS to drop torps on the sub

Certainly supports a multi-static detect element to the detect-recognize-identify-prosecute chain…as long as it’s still afloat/operational.

Time-of-year dependent, of course...below certain temps, this likely won't work. I'd change 'fly in a Cyclone' to "AOPS with an ASW tail deploy with a MH embarked.

Or Option 3; do SFA, and stay fat, dumb and happy in our ignorance of the ASW picture in the Artic.

If AOPs is aware of a sub in the area, it's probably by accident. If anything is going to do something about a sub, it won't be the non-combatant. Showing the flag is one thing NCs can do, prosecuting a sub is a hard core combatant function (with support from other combat assets, possibly lead by other subs).

Trying to pretend AOPs is something it's not just because it's gray is a great way to ignore the stuff it can do well (like break ice). How about we get proficient at what AOPS is good at instead of trying to make it do things it can't do at all? ASW is not even within the same galaxy as the AOPS CONOPS, and all they would be is an easy target.

I'll observe that tail ops can be a very useful tool to expand maritime situational awareness, and not just of submarines. Surface ships, small fast moving contacts, etc, all have distinct acoustic signatures, and sometimes a SONAR system can detect things beyond RADAR range.

Or Option 3; do SFA, and stay fat, dumb and happy in our ignorance of the ASW picture in the Artic.

If AOPs is aware of a sub in the area, it's probably by accident. If anything is going to do something about a sub, it won't be the non-combatant. Showing the flag is one thing NCs can do, prosecuting a sub is a hard core combatant function (with support from other combat assets, possibly lead by other subs).

Trying to pretend AOPs is something it's not just because it's gray is a great way to ignore the stuff it can do well (like break ice). How about we get proficient at what AOPS is good at instead of trying to make it do things it can't do at all? ASW is not even within the same galaxy as the AOPS CONOPS, and all they would be is an easy target.
As far as I know there is no plans to put these payloads on the Kingston Class or AOPS and I'm fairly certain we don't actually own the payload. This was simply a demonstration in Arctic conditions that's all. My ship embarked the payload several years ago for initial trials just as from time to time embarked other experimental payloads as proof of concept. It is a pretty nice piece of kit regardless if you agree with it or not.
The way I look at it is that it gives us possible options in the future. CONOPS for this class of ship reminds me of the original for the Kingston Class and we saw how that has evolved over the years as with many other classes. We are far away from having this capability on non combatants on a regular basis.

The reality is a surface ship's only reason for existence is to serve as an airport so the helo can do the real work. ;-)

Back