• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Recce Vehicle

Colin P said:
I wonder now with the purchase of new tanks shouldn't we be looking for a tracked resupply vehicle to support them?

How about a T-LAV with the hull cut to a flat deck behind the driver with Hiab and pallet system?

I actually seen a 548 being used to fight fires out east.Was kinda cool to see.However tank resup is a whole other topic.

geo said:
Lord knows there are plenty of M113s parked on Farnham...

However, given the amount of Mtce most of the M113s would require, these would never find their way to individual units.  Pools in the various MTCs could be possible, I guess

+1

Agreed.

If you wish to have armoured recce, I think you are going to need something with more firepower in it than the old ferret. The US was kicking around a vehicle that was tracked, slightly bigger than the Lynx with the prototype Bradely turret on it. I think such a vehicle is worth considering and use the same turret as the LAV. I also think we will need a mix of wheeled and tracked. The M117 has turned out fairly well in Iraq, although most are deployed by MP's for different duties. How well it would translate to recce I am not sure. But I also have to ask myself are the days of a small recce team by themselves gone? The Taliban are good at identifying isolated groups and bringing their forces to bear, the British came close to losing a few of their platoon houses, a isolated recce patrol would likely be overwhelmed to quickly to help. The advantage of wheeled recce is speed, both in deployment and in theatre, the disadvantage is that you most restricted to road, I have a hard time imagining how our traditional recce would work in a Afghanistan or similar. Perhaps if it does not breech OPSEC, one of the recce types can tell us.

Back