• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Soldier

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
As of now, Im awaiting to go to Aurora Armoury for training. im signed up as an Armoured Soldier, and Im quite curious. What EXACTLY will I be driving/maintaning etc.. I have a good understanding of the CF weapons and vehicles, but nobody has been able to give me a clear answer on what exactly i‘ll be able to get my hands dirty with!

Also, Concerning drivers licences. im 17, but dont have my G2 yet. It wasnt a requirement, and my dad (former RCR engineer) said when he was training with the 82nd Airborne in Petewawa in the 80‘s, the Army had the ability to issue G2 licences. is this still the case now, or was this done away with? And if so....am i screwed?!

Here is good information from another armoured soldier:

http://salh.jfahy.net/

Here is the deal
You require your G2 to drive any Military veh. If not you will only be allowed to drive on a military base.
There are regs force soldiers that don‘t have their dvrs. They cannot drive at all. You will get all the training but as I said only be allowed on base.

hey thanx Recce41, thats a load off my shoulders! Reason i dont have my G2 is i left it too late, and the line-up at the DMV for road tests is backed up for months. thanx for the links as well..they were helpful

My answer may be delayed by 3 years, but i figure it could help anyone in need of answers... you do not require a G2 to drive military vehicles. You do not need any form of civie driver's license whatsoever. You will be required to take a driver wheel course through the military, including driving/maintaining the LSVW and MLVW, Defensive driving, and some tests. If you pass, you will be issued 404's (military drivers license). With this, you can drive anywhere on any vehicle you have been trained, and licensed on.

Also, in Armoured Reserves, the most you will get your hands on are LSVWs, MLVWs, G-Wagons, maybe HLVWs, and perhaps armoured vehicles as your career advances.

That's rather different to the way we work  (in Aus.) You do not need any liscence at all to go on an A Veh course, but whatever course you do is what you are restricted to. The license codes are not transferrable from one veh to another. I didn't have a civvie license when I did my M113 course, and to be frank, it did show.

I got my carrier (A-vehicle) licence before my driving licence. The instructors thought it was pretty funny really.
I know that here, if you've got a restricted licence (automatic only), you can take your Army B vehicle (Land Rover etc) into VicRoads and they'll change your civvie licence to reflect your army licence. Pretty sweet i reckon.

Can't wait! Selected for crewman, can't wait to join you all.

Hale said:
I got my carrier (A-vehicle) licence before my driving licence. The instructors thought it was pretty funny really.
I know that here, if you've got a restricted licence (automatic only), you can take your Army B vehicle (Land Rover etc) into VicRoads and they'll change your civvie licence to reflect your army licence. Pretty sweet i reckon.

I first got my '1st and reverse' license for the ASLAV Type III on a 6 wk turret and crane course in Darwin in early 06. This was followed by a 3 wk generic drivers course for ASLAV Type I, II, and III. It was combined of theory here at 2/14, Mt Cotton for practicum, and then 2 wks field at Wide Bay up at Tin Can bay, near Rainbow Beach. This gave us all an unrestricted A Veh lic.

An A Veh license is a seperate issue from a B Veh lic, B meaning in Australia  - trans to CF lingo generic SMP and Grn flt, so one holds two seperate licenses here.

cheers,

Wes

BestodaBest said:
Also, in Armoured Reserves, the most you will get your hands on are LSVWs, MLVWs, G-Wagons, maybe HLVWs, and perhaps armoured vehicles as your career advances.

Not true. Depending on deployments and taskings, you could find yourself getting qualified on any number of different vehicles. Forklifts, ATV, snowmobile, zoom boom, all the blue fleet vehicles, just to name a few.

If you truly want to be a Amoured Trooper (Zipper Head), join the regular force.  The Armoured Reserve world is full of obstacles, hassles and disappointments.  Though I don't want to deter you, you should be prepared for the worst case scenario's as monies are short and reserves don't always get the support they should.  Regardless, Good Luck!
Ex RSS WO 2001-2003

EX COELIS said:
Ex RSS WO 2001-2003

Armour is a good Trade, that teaches many skills.  Armd Recce is 24 and 7 and an adrenaline rush on EX. 

So what Unit were you RSS with in 2001 to 2003?

EX COELIS said:
If you truly want to be a Amoured Trooper (Zipper Head), join the regular force.  The Armoured Reserve world is full of obstacles, hassles and disappointments.  Though I don't want to deter you, you should be prepared for the worst case scenario's as monies are short and reserves don't always get the support they should.  Regardless, Good Luck!
Ex RSS WO 2001-2003

Flexibility. Remember that one? Adapting on the fly to change is what we do best. That's our bread and butter, and what makes us so successful. Bitter old farts, that jumped ship when things got tough, only want to make good, solid crewmen persevere. ;)

Keep it up, you're motivating hundreds.  ;D

Driving, Loading, Gunner or the ulimate; being a Crew Commander of your own tank is the most fun anybody can have with your pants on!

EX COELIS said:
Driving, Loading, Gunner or the ulimate; being a Crew Commander of your own tank is the most fun anybody can have with your pants on!
Pants on in a tank? You've obviously never hung around blokes from the Australia's 1st Armoured Regiment, where pants in a tank are very much optional... 

Never had the pleasure of serving with the.......wait that's wrong, we had an Australian exchange officer who taught on my gunnery course.  Vietnam era man with lots of stories to tell.  Centurion this, Centurion that.  Great "Helmets on stuff".

I digress, ref the pants; you could always tell a CDN Armoured type because the first place the combat pants wore out was the butt.  Thread bare, but refreshing during those hot summer days!!!

Back