• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Mess dress in the Navy?

banksant

Inactive
Reaction score
If you transfer over to the Navy from the Army, can you still wear your army mess dress to Navy mess functions?

Thanks in advance

The uniform you wear is in accordance with the element you're in (Army, Air Force, Navy). When you switch element, you switch uniform. Either be DEU's or mess kit. In other words NO, if you wear Navy uniform you wear navy mess kit or your naval 1A's with bow tie.

Agreed..... you must wear the mess kit from which element that you currently belong to.

Hey there guys................from an uninformed civvie....................what exactly is a mess kit?
  Cheers guys
Steve
PS--- Just got called today for my interview and medical...........things are rolling and I can't wait!!!!!  Going in for NE tech. (a), (t) and (c)  :)

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I thought, but I read this below?

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE CME
A-JS-007-003/JD-001
6-7
15. Mess dress is individually tailored using the approved pattern that is available from qualified tailors of
military uniforms. The tailors on staff at clothing stores usually have lists of local tailors who are qualified to
make mess dress, otherwise it is advisable to check with peers to find a reputable tailor. It is important that
the tailor is experienced in making mess dress and that access to the proper fabrics is available.
16. Serving members who served with the Royal Canadian Navy, Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, or
Royal Canadian Air Force who possess the former service pattern mess dress may continue to wear it.

banksant said:
16. Serving members who served with the Royal Canadian Navy, Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, or
Royal Canadian Air Force who possess the former service pattern mess dress may continue to wear it.

From the wording of your quote, this would lead me to beleive that you would be entitled to wear your old uniform if you joined before the unification of the 3 forces (1968). I know that in my trade (firefighter) when we switched to our distinctive uniforms in the mid 80's, whoever joined before the unification and were still serving, they had the choice to either keep their old uniform or switch to Air Force. Before the unification there use to be naval firefighters, they were called ''Air Bos'n''. I don't know if there is any other trade like this....... I hope this help...

Cheers...

CallOfDuty said:
  Hey there guys................from an uninformed civvie....................what exactly is a mess kit?

Mess kit is a uniform equivalent in formality to black tie.  It's worn for formal evening functions, the most common of which is the mess dinner (a formal dinner for all of the members of a mess).

When I switched from the Army to the Air Force, my course director at the Nav School asked the Wing Chief in Winnipeg for a ruling on this issue on our behalf (there was, Believe It or Not, 3 Artillery Officers on my Nav Course alone).  He apparently to the Air Force Chief.  The response was: your first mess kit is for life, especially since the crown pays not one red cent towards the cost of them.  We dutifully attached our Nav wings and carried on in red.

I eventually bought a new (air force) mess kit, but still drag the artillery one out, depending on the function.

Another former Artillery Officer brethern of mine is a MARS officer and he kept his Army Mess kit.  He wore it to several Navy functions and  did not get much, if any grief (he eventually bought a Navy Mess Kit, too).

Cheers!

banksant said:
That's quite an old excerpt, but probably still on the books.  During the halcyon days of full unification, there was an appalling joke of a tri-service mess dress that they tried to foist on people for a while.  The exceptions listed above were so that people who served in the old RCN could keep their mess dress, but my understanding is that, in the navy at least, almost everyone purchsed navy mess dress whether they joined before or after unification.  Very few people went for the bus-driver black-tie look.

If that's the most current regilation regarding mess kits, I say it looks like it's a free-for-all.  Do whatever your mess lets you.

hamiltongs said:
During the halcyon days of full unification, there was an appalling joke of a tri-service mess dress that they tried to foist on people for a while.  

Well, the "universal" mess dress is still the on worn by the Air Force (less the collar badges...)

Aside from a formal dinner or christmas dinner or whatever,  What and where else can mess dress be used for?

Peace said:
Aside from a formal dinner or christmas dinner or whatever,  What and where else can mess dress be used for?
Any civilian function where a dinner jacket and black tie would be worn.  The mess kit just serves as a military-themed tuxedo of sorts.

Peace said:
Aside from a formal dinner or christmas dinner or whatever,   What and where else can mess dress be used for?
All in all, Mess Kit should only be worn on occasions where the wearing of a military uniform is appropriate... consequently, prior to wearing it to some civy gala or event where you aren't sure .... ask your superior(s)
It's yours, you paid for it BUT it's still a military uniform with military badges of rank and accoutrements. Being out on the street with it on your back can and will be interpreted to signify an official okie dokie support to the event.... even if it were the Hari Krishna (sp?) X-Mass carnival.

Your Mess Kit is your black tie suit - I have no other.  Therefore when I go to a wedding or event that states Black Tie is appropriate, I wear my Mess Kit.  I do not ask for permission, I am adult and know how to behave. 

I have met a few people who transfered from the Army and became pilots - they still wear their red jackets.

Keep in mind that Mess Kits are usually only worn by senior NCO's and Officer's - although I have seen a few Airforce MCpl's sporting them too.

Does anyone know a link containing pics of the different uniforms that a naval officer can wear ?

You're not joining the mob, are you?

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461550774_461511150_-1_1/Canadian_Navy_Uniforms.html

Ummm... those are the two working suits the swabbies will wear in winter
paint the navy dress uniform white in summer

pics does not include "mess dress" which Officers (will) and Sr NCOs (may) wear

I have the PDF version of CFP 265 - it's dated 2001-06-15, so I don't know if it's been superceded.  It's also 17 Mb in size.

If you want it, PM me with your email address (make sure your account can TAKE a 17 MB attachment).

Alternatively, if one of the mods wants to post it here somewhere, I'd be more than happy.

Back