• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army mess dress jacket white only for officers?

Surreal78

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been looking to find an answer to this but can't find the answer anywhere. Is the white jacket for mess dress only authorized wear for officers or SNCO allowed to wear?

Blackjack!!

You'd have to check the Dress Regs - it's in there -  however it's only for General/Flag Officers IIRC.

MM

Hmm. Interesting. I've seen lowly Major's sporting the ice-cream man jacket, and in winter too! I thought it was only for summer. I wonder if they knew it was for Generals only.

Towards_the_gap said:
Hmm. Interesting. I've seen lowly Major's sporting the ice-cream man jacket, and in winter too! I thought it was only for summer. I wonder if they knew it was for Generals only.

Some egos know no rank.

Order of dress 2A (Mess White) is not restricted to GO/FO.  It can be restricted by branches / regiments per Chapter 6, Annex B para 1c and Chapter 6, Appendix 1 Annex B para 2.  It is not for the CFMS (if you care).

As far as I am aware (and I checked the regs) it unrestricted for navy and army for NCMs (unless restricted as above) but is not to be worn by Air Force NCMs (see Note 3: of Figure 6B1-5). 

MC

It is only for summer / tropical wear though.... so you should not see some numpty wearing it when you can see snow. 

MC

George Wallace said:
Some egos know no rank.

In the case of the individuals concerned you are spot on!!

Medcorps - Is it restricted by time of year/season? I'm a total modernist when it comes to dress and such but get cranky about people wearing the wrong thing at the wrong time. Mess Dress at a wedding, for example. EDIT: question answered. The people I saw wearing it (reference above) are numpty's too!

Towards_the_gap said:
Medcorps - Is it restricted by time of year/season? I'm a total modernist when it comes to dress and such but get cranky about people wearing the wrong thing at the wrong time. Mess Dress at a wedding, for example. EDIT: question answered. The people I saw wearing it (reference above) are numpty's too!

What happens if the wedding is past 1800?

Are we really going to start this bullshit again?

There's already a huge pissing thread dedicated to this already.

Go there and add to it if your fashion sensibilites are offended.

Milnet.ca Staff

Towards_the_gap said:
Honestly? No idea...More port stains maybe?

You talked about Mess Dress at a wedding.  Mess Dress is evening dress, good for black tie/white tie occasions after 1800.

MedCorps said:
Order of dress 2A (Mess White) is not restricted to GO/FO.  It can be restricted by branches / regiments per Chapter 6, Annex B para 1c and Chapter 6, Appendix 1 Annex B para 2. It is not for the CFMS (if you care).

As far as I am aware (and I checked the regs) it unrestricted for navy and army for NCMs (unless restricted as above) but is not to be worn by Air Force NCMs (see Note 3: of Figure 6B1-5). 

MC

There, stand corrected.

MM

MM

I have a White jacket along with a red one. I've had the white one longer as I'm a CIC and only ever did the Mess diner thing at summer camp it seemed the way to go. Plus it was only $150.00 red one was $500.00.
3 years ago I wore it to get married in as it was a nice hot summer day.

The beloved Necropost!

Does anyone have a good picture of someone in the Army White Mess Dress Jacket (No. 2a)?

I'm debating buying it as it's looking like I'll be at a lot of functions for the next bit, but I can't find a decent bloody picture anywhere. I even emailed Andrei's and they don't have any...

It's Australian, but you get the picture.  http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Military/defence_gov_au-army-collage.jpg

Harris said:
It's Australian, but you get the picture.  http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Military/defence_gov_au-army-collage.jpg

I take it ours is intensely similar (go Commonwealth) thanks for the picture, I guess ours are so rare that they are unseen.

PS Poor old LCol at the end there, looks just so...misrable  :-\

NSDreamer said:
I take it ours is intensely similar (go Commonwealth) thanks for the picture, I guess ours are so rare that they are unseen.

PS Poor old LCol at the end there, looks just so...misrable  :-\

There is an attachment from The RCR Standing Orders.  Summer mess kit jacket on a Major.

Attachments

• White Mess Kit.jpg
    White Mess Kit.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 7,989
NSDreamer said:
The beloved Necropost!

Does anyone have a good picture of someone in the Army White Mess Dress Jacket (No. 2a)?

I'm debating buying it as it's looking like I'll be at a lot of functions for the next bit, but I can't find a decent bloody picture anywhere. I even emailed Andrei's and they don't have any...

This is from RSOs of the QOR.  Your regiment/branch may be different.
http://www.qor.com/files/RSO-for-Regimental-Standing-Orders.pdf

Attachments

• white mess dress.png
    white mess dress.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 2,076
  • white mess dress profile.png
    white mess dress profile.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,166
Harris said:

I like the jacket on the far right the best!!

Thanks all, much better photo's then what is available off google! Now to decide...is it worth 600 bucks heh.

Back