• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Recognition Day

PteAJL

Inactive
Reaction score
So October 3 is Army Reserve Recognition day.
Who was actually aware of this?
I didnt find out about it until recently.

Container said:
Im hosting a parade in my honor.

This reminded me instantly of a Monty Python skit....

In all seriousness,
we are permitted to wear our uniforms, but I'd just feel weird wearing it in public...

Eye In The Sky said:
I've worn my uniform in public for years, what is weird about it?

Let's just say, people in Toronto don't always have positive feelings towards the CF

Guess it depends on the size of your 'nads.  I'd wear mine in T.O. and not think twice about it.  :2c:

Go Navy, or go home.  ;D

As with anyplace you live or work,
turn out proper, conduct yourself well and wear your uniform with pride.

My years in T.O. were outstanding. I'd be back in a flash.

PteAJL said:
Let's just say, people in Toronto don't always have positive feelings towards the CF
When I was posted to Toronto, I wore my uniform to work every day.

But then, I've never had particularly positive feelings towards TO, so I didn't give a rat's ass what they thought.  ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
Guess it depends on the size of your 'nads.  I'd wear mine in T.O. and not think twice about it.  :2c:

I second this. I started out in Vancouver and had nothing but problems making the commutes to Beatty Street on the Sky train from Surrey.

Moved back to my native Alberta and have received nothing but warm thoughts, "thank yous" and handshakes. I direct people to donate to their local veterans support organisation and to remember to attend Remembrance Day ceremonies.

PteAJL said:
So October 3 is Army Reserve Recognition day.
Who was actually aware of this?
I didnt find out about it until recently.

Ugh.  There is a day when I am expected to recognize Reservists?

Shudder

;D

PPCLI Guy said:

Shudder

;D

Yeah but no one said you have to mean it  >:D

PPCLI Guy said:

Yes NDHQ hoped it would be a welcome change from AFV Recognition... and since we couldn't come up with flashcards or a powerpoint we made it easier and asked them to dress all the same.
OK?
So if you think you've recognized one, just point and yell!  DS will be by shortly to confirm your Reservist Recognition.
Happy Hunting!

Anyway, to answer the OP: no, I didn't hear it was Reserve Recognition day and didn't see any sign of an announcement by DND amidst the other announcements this week.

Now going against the grain here, and self-pronouncements of big 'nads aside, since the day's not really talking about people working in a DND facility where everyone wears a uniform, I can see as a Reservist it has the potential to be weird.  In fact, I imagine even our crusty Reg F brethren would find it noteworthy if they walked into a Timmies or Best Buy or whatever and were served by someone in uniform.

Not that a little weirdness should stop anyone (Hey! possibly a future unit motto there, if you put it in Latin) , and IMHO the public seems much more welcoming in general, definitely more than in the '80s.

My :2c:

PPCLI Guy said:

Shudder

;D
You could treat it like Twitter posts - "recognition =/= endorsement"  >:D

There is a day, I wasn't making anything up.
I'll reference a post that was a year old

forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107718.0

Oh Boy I'm stoked aren't you? In lieu of actually funding them or providing decent equipment or some sort actual role NDHQ has decided to give them a day instead . I would also not be surprised if this  does not come out of their budget as well. ::)

PPCLI Guy said:

Only Army Reservists.  Feel free to ignore the rest.

PrairieThunder said:
I second this. I started out in Vancouver and had nothing but problems making the commutes to Beatty Street on the Sky train from Surrey.

Moved back to my native Alberta and have received nothing but warm thoughts, "thank yous" and handshakes. I direct people to donate to their local veterans support organisation and to remember to attend Remembrance Day ceremonies.

Would you mind giving an example?

Back