• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATIS TECH Postings After BOQ in Kingston.

hmm okay and i understand as a jr tech i wont just be thrown into the world ATIS at a million km per hour.

what would be a good posting that would put my career in the direction of AWACS. 

also another interesting possability the the PAVE PAWS super duper heavy intercontinential space ballistic missle defence stations.  what first posting would gear me towards this? 

i understand if we go airfield radar, wingtis will hold onto you for dear life as soon as you are qualified becuase our trade is undermanned. my question, what are the chances my next unit will lock me in and ill be unable to explore other careers in radar?

and concerning deployments, anyone know of other highly operational units other than JSR, and 8accs?

thankszz

From my understanding, after an ATIS tech is QL3 qualified, they get to request three locations for their first posting while doing their QL4 and OJT (I understand that these requests are not guaranteed by any means). When requesting your first posting, what would be suggested for `base(s) with the the greatest opportunities to train in the widest possible array of ATIS related skills`. My goal would be to effectively learn as much as possible about as many facets of ATIS as possible (ATIS is a huge draw for me because of its seemingly large breadth of diverse technical trades). I am suspecting the larger bases with air fields are the best candidates, but I am simply an applicant at the moment, so really do not know. (Yes, I know I am jumping the gun here as an applicant, but I just got merit listed and I heard that ATIS is the only trade I applied to that still has space in it this fiscal year so I am fishing for more info on ATIS at the moment just in case I get an offer)

On a related note, what are the most likely postings? (I am guessing that a request to go to a base with a higher demand for ATIS techs is more likely to be granted)

I am not at all too picky about where I would be in Canada, as long as it is somewhere close to a decent school for my children (which most places are).

My quick  :2c: would be to a Wing that has an airfield.  That would allow you to see/do all facets (or most) of the trade and get you thru the OJTP (which was the QL4 the last I knew).  Things may have changed.

Or a base that has a Tac Hel Squadron.

Vell said:
I am not at all too picky about where I would be in Canada, as long as it is somewhere close to a decent school for my children (which most places are).

ATIS favorite postings?? 
dreamtwister302 said:
Where would be better for family life in the trade? where would i enjoy going to work more? or where to avoid?

Air force ATIS tech 
Navalsnipr said:
I would recommend that you choose a large base for your first posting so that you could get the opportunity to see the ATIS trade in various fields of work. For Example, in Halifax they work at the Air Force base in Shearwater, a Radio transmitter and receiver site, in all aspects of the IT/IM world, Network Services, Telephony and also in Infrastructure and Cabling.

You may not be able to experience that on a smaller base. I worked with a large group of ATIS techs in Shearwater and it really seems to be a great choice for a trade.

Frank the Tank said:
As an ATIS tech posted to a deployable unit, the member would receive annual weapons training, NBCD (nuclear, biological, chemical protection training), and combat skills as well as other non-MOC related courses.  With this training, an ATIS tech could be deployed with the unit or individually anywhere and have the skills to be useful in an Army, Navy, or Air Force environment.

If one becomes a 500 series aircraft technician like for the CF-18, the
posting possibilites are limited because only Cold Lake and Bagotville base CF-18s as an example.

ATIS and posting questions
http://army.ca/forums/threads/83532.0
"Well i am obviously an ATIS tech, done my POET training and soon i embark on my QL3s!  that means i must determine what my three posting preferences are."

ATIS Tech Training Plan: Apprentice and Journeyman 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/78548.0.html

Starting a Career as an ATIS Tech
http://army.ca/forums/threads/101314.0

ATIS TECH Postings After BOQ in Kingston.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81071.0

ATIS bases and postings
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ATIS+base&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=1BaVVu_AJKqC8QeHsK_IDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+ATIS+

etc...

Loachman said:
Or a base that has a Tac Hel Squadron.

Ughhh...a THS pretty much ensures an ATIS Tech can go on hold for postings/promotions for a few years.  Nice if you want the location they're in to the exclusion of everything else, but they have almost none of the same equipment you'd find at any of the major bases.  A THS is definitely not the environment for an apprentice ATIS Tech; and I'm pretty sure it's only offered to Cpls and above.

Back