• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATIS TECH Postings After BOQ in Kingston.

yeah ok .....
whatever

Listen, "Ping, pong, divide by 2" is a dig by old Rad techs (like me) against old Radar techs.  The humour escaped Cdn Aviator and was obviously missed by you too, Sapper.  If you didn't get it, no amount of explaining is going to make it funny.  Feel free to carry on as though you were normal.

Then you probably shouldn't find much reason to post outside the Engineers' message boards then, right?  ;)

Occam:  what's radar about an ILS?!

They do have 2 ILS in YMJ, on each end of the inner runway.  I think they are maintained (like all airfield equipment in Moose Jaw) by a contractor.

okay now i am not afraid to travel and awhile keeping my options open.

can an english only profile get posted to bagotville? and how is comox for radar.?

so far i see trenton, greenwood, cold lake applicable for radar.

thanks for the tips all

impedo said:
and how is comox for radar.?

As mentioned to you before, its a fully equiped airfield like Trenton, Cold Lake and Greenwood.

my bad i missed that one.

so i am thinking for a posting pref trenton, cold lake, comox for radar. 

why the interest? well on science shows you always see the time laps view of the very large arrays for radio astronomy where the units turn in unision and i want to know how they work.  When joining i was looking at the aircraft controller tech position which looked cool but i thought "step back", become a real tech and learn how these systems REALLY work. 

sounds a little silly but i know what i like. 

plus when you can say, yah, i am a RADAR tech.  people know ur the sheet. 

...as long as you realize you may have to wait awhile to get into the 'RADAR' shop.  You could spend a year imaging PCs or in COMSEC...no guaruntees where the TIS SCWO will put his/her newbies after they do their OJT rotation.  Just keep that in the back of your head.  ;D

SupersonicMax said:
Occam:  what's radar about an ILS?!

They do have 2 ILS in YMJ, on each end of the inner runway.  I think they are maintained (like all airfield equipment in Moose Jaw) by a contractor.

ILS, TACAN, and radars are all maintained by the Navaids shop, colloquially referred to as the Radar shop.  Like the SSR, there's nothing "radar" about ILS, but it's just lumped in with the other navigational aids.

Thanks for the info about YMJ - I seemed to recall one of the smaller airfields out west being maintained by Serco, but I wasn't sure if it was YMJ.  Goose Bay airfield technical services are provided by Serco as well.

impedo said:
why the interest? well on science shows you always see the time laps view of the very large arrays for radio astronomy where the units turn in unision and i want to know how they work.  When joining i was looking at the aircraft controller tech position which looked cool but i thought "step back", become a real tech and learn how these systems REALLY work. 

sounds a little silly but i know what i like. 

If you've done POET, you've probably already seen the principles behind getting a bunch of antennae to rotate in unison and point in the same direction in space - it's called a simple synchro/servo system.  No black magic involved there.

The radars used by the Canadian Air Force are relatively simple on the grand scheme of things.  The technology used in them is essentially the same technology that was used 30-40 years ago.  Down the road, if you get an opportunity to work on an E-3, they have a phased array radar that uses the same principles as the radar used in the Aegis system aboard some US Navy ships, and PAVE PAWS radars used for space surveillance and missile warning.  They're new technology. 

If you want bleeding edge stuff, Google the DRDC webpage for High Frequency Surface Wave Radar. 

impedo said:

You know it dog, thats the shiznit alright...word up yo !

CDN Aviator said:

:rofl:

That is definitely not what I was expecting....thanks for the laugh.

Occam said:
Thanks for the info about YMJ - I seemed to recall one of the smaller airfields out west being maintained by Serco, but I wasn't sure if it was YMJ.  Goose Bay airfield technical services are provided by Serco as well.

You're probably thinking of YPG.  I know for sure YPG's contracted, however I'm unsure about Moose Jaw.

CDN Aviator said:

LMAO

Umm yeah....I don't remember hearing the guys at NavAids in YAW saying "we're the shit man...last night, there were 20 babes knockin' on my door cause I am a QUAD God"...

lol you guys are hilarous.

i do expect my on the job experience to take a year and a half and from the personal experience of a mate out in cold lake a year as they want to push him through so they can use him. 

my QL3 is the new tp and i understand however not comfirmed that we are getting new radar to replace the quad in kingston from trenton

a lot of jargon was spoken in the past ten posts so ill inquire on them.

what is YMJ, what is Sero? E-3?  ill google the fuck out of the rest. 

thanks for the information all.

okay cool. 

now i hear that the only way to rotate into E3 sentries is going to cold lake, and then i understand that they may send us down to the states to go on our E3 atis qualification.  can anyone add to this?

so far i am putting in trenton (8accs), comox, cold lake in that order.  in terms of deployments or just traveling somewhere regardless if its sandy, cold, hot, wet; other than 8accs and JSR what else is there that a Jr.  ATIS can look at?  a lot of people on my course have family in trenton and i understand that trumps any marks or PT levels that one can exhibit. so at this point in time trenton looks like a no go.  (i rephrase an old question to ensure i get the right posting.)

also i understand cold lake has their own radar sqn, can anyone talk about or even speculate on the nature of the job?

thanks again all

I don't think 42 Radar does much to be honest.  Whenever we have intercepts that require GCI, we deal with North Bay. 

Bagtown has their own radar squadron as well.

impedo said:
that they may send us down to the states to go on our E3 atis qualification. 

You go to the US for training only if posted to the AWACS at Tnker AFB or Elmendorf AFB. If posted to NATO AWACS, you go to GK in Germany. As a brand new tech, you are not going to any of these places.

i understand that trumps any marks or PT levels that one can exhibit.

It does not.

Back