• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATIS TECH Postings After BOQ in Kingston.

Ne Job

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.

I was just wondering what some postings might be after one is finished the training at Canadian
Forces School of Communications and Electronics  in Kingston.

Thanks for your help.

From the Recruiting site

The duties of an ATIS Tech are performed in operation centres, in static and mobile workshops, or outdoors where they are exposed to all climatic conditions. In geographic terms, employment as an ATIS Tech can vary from bases within Canada and the USA, including the Arctic, to locations throughout the world, in response to NATO and UN commitments.

I'am sure someone who is an ATIS Tech, etc will be here to give you a much more detailed answer.

You could go to a Wing TISS, you could go to MARLANT/MARPAC, various places in the NCR, etc.  You will likely be posted to a Wing, start the QL3 OJT package, get experience in the different sections and eventually go on your QL5 course (Trenton is the plan at this point for the QL5 location).

What is the BOQ you are referring to ???

Most of the info on ATIS Tech related stuff is located in the Communications and Electronics forum.

Thanks to the above posters for their input, sounds like this one is a wrap.
I'm sure 'New Job' has lots of reading to do.

Hello.

I was just wondering what some postings might be after one is finished the training at Canadian
Forces School of Communications and Electronics  in Kingston.

Thanks for your help.

Well i am obviously an ATIS tech, done my POET training and soon i embark on my QL3s!  that means i must determine what my three posting preferences are.  now i ask the general informed public, both civ and mil on tips and suggestions for a postings with a few interests ill lay before you.

I am single and plan to stay that way for a bit. I want to deploy as much as possible and see the world. and for a posting i dont disciminate although idealy ied like to be close to a city so i can upgrade highschool courses to all university prep and work on a college diploma in electronics.

I want to specialize in RADAR i am not sure what kind, airfield, coastal, AWACs (sgt or warrent + in rank as far as i know) but just general RADAR systems, i want radar to be my thing (again i want radar)

I also have interests in jtf2 support ATIS but that does not have to influence my posting preference at this time. 

i have interest in first and third line maintance and i hate monotony but love challanges.

priority is radar / deployability / highschool upgrades and college electronics diploma.  in that order.

What this comes down to is, ill belong to a wing TIS in the radar section working for the base or a seperate squadron if i get what i want and if the base supports the equipment i want.  Should i try to get into a particular radar squadron like 8 ACCS ATS out of trenton or 42 radar sqn out of cold lake? or just pick general airfield TIS duties? and avoid belonging to particular Sqn? what are my choices?

all i know is from word of mouth, rumors and what i see on EMAA which tells very little about posting information.  and i would dread being posted somewhere where there is no radar that i can work on, IE winnipeg (unless someone knows otherwise)

thanks for your time i appreciate any input wether pure speculation or true factual information

It's unlikely you'd see 8 ACCS as I believe they only take QL5 qual personnel.

To get a fully rounded radar experience (PAR, ILS, ASR, SSR), you'd want a full AF base - which limits you to Comox, Cold Lake, Moose Jaw (not sure if they have ILS or not, and whether they're maintained by contractors), Trenton, or Bagotville.  Anywhere else is likely only to have limited radar equipment.

While you're in EMAA, you should see a "My Career" link or something like that.  It will take you to the Career Manager's webpage, which will list all positions for ATIS, as well as position opening dates.  You should be able to tell from there where they have Pte techs employed.

By the way, Canadian Coastal Radar (CCR) is maintained by the Air Reserve.

thanks for the responce. say for example i get posted to ATESS in trenton could i always transfer to 8ACCS? same posting different position. 

so being airfield is the way to go, is there a lot offered in term sof deployments?

what about 12 and 42 radar sqn i hear they are really army ish and sure they setup and tear down but when it comes to actualy fixing or maintaining they dont do too much.  can anyone speak from personal experience?

what about shearwater or greenwood for radar?

thnx

Again, ATESS may have a few Pte positions in the shops, but the minimum rank at the school would be Cpl.  The majority of the instructor positions would be MCpl.  ATESS and 8 ACCS are two completely separate units and separate postings, and you can't just "transfer" between them.

Large bases would deploy on a rotational basis.  There are opportunities to deploy out of the rotation.

I can't tell you much about 12 and 42 Radar.

I omitted to mention Greenwood in my previous post - it's a large AF base which would have the full suite of radars and navaids.  Shearwater is a small base which has only the Quad radar (which you'll meet on your QL3 - half washing machine, half radar, and 50 years old) and SSR.  Not recommended for a junior tech.

I hope you realize that there will be periods where you work in comm shops, or in FM/vehicle install shops, or in IT support positions.  Expecting to "specialize" in radar is simply setting yourself up for disappointment.  Navaids is merely one small part of the ATIS trade.

okay thats fine if i dont specialize. but at least i hope to become a learned person in radar. 

When it comes to getting our first real posting out of our QL3, do we get posted only the base or the base and the squadron/unit inside it?

Any idea how operational greenwood is and what their worldly commitments are?

thanks!

You'll pick up radar theory on your QL3, and practical experience on the Quad radar on your QL3.  After that, it'll be OSQ courses.  If you get posted to an airfield, and employed in a Navaids section (which you would eventually rotate into), then and only then would you be loaded onto an OSQ course for a particular radar system.

Nobody gets posted to a base.  One gets posted to a unit.  For example, you could be posted to ATESS Trenton or to Wing TIS Trenton.  42 Radar Cold Lake, or Wing TIS Cold Lake.

Greenwood is very operational.  Maritime Patrol (Aurora aircraft) and SAR (Herc aircraft and Cormorant helicopters).  Full blown airfield with all the facilities.

Why the keen interest in radar?  Ping, Pong, divide by two.

CDN Aviator said:
I wish thats all there was to radar

After you take away anti-clutter, MTI, frequency agility, STC and symbology, that's pretty much all that's left ...  8)

Occam said:
After you take away anti-clutter, MTI, frequency agility, STC and symbology, that's pretty much all that's left ...   8)

Yeah because those things, just like peak power, duty cycle,PW, PRF, PRI, scan rate, pulse per group, range resolution.......not big parts at all

You might want to read this thread for the low down on how your trng will go from here on in.  Won't help you much with your posting pref's but I wasn't sure if you knew about the QL3 OJT package, and the QL5 course (first one is running this April-June followed by HRS in Trenton).

If you want RADAR, well make sure you excel when you go in for the RF portion of your QL3 OJT package.  Make it your thing.  You might want to do the Distance Learning Basic EW course thru CFSAS so you understand the RADAR from a user/employment perspective (and have the qual on your MPRR) on top of your OSQ/equipment courses.  If you are really interested in deployable RADAR then, my opinion is you want to be as close to 8 ACCS as you can be.  That means Trenton.  That means getting your butt on the wet/dry BOXTOPS, Op Hurricane, etc etc.  Again, thats IMO.

Despite wanting to be a "radar" tech, you could end up working the IT Helpdesk on your way there.  Regardless of where you are, be a solid performer (who wants to work on RADARs).  

I have only been posted as ATIS to the Halifax area since my remuster, but I've heard Trenton and Cold Lake are good spots.  If you are young and single, Greenwood might not suit your "after hours" stuff...again, thats IMO.

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah because those things, just like peak power, duty cycle,PW, PRF, PRI, scan rate, pulse per group, range resolution.......not big parts at all

Now I will have a BEW nightmare tonight. 

CDN Aviator said:

Those are all things that are adjusted to achieve the features that I mentioned.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are really interested in deployable RADAR then, my opinion is you want to be as close to 8 ACCS as you can be.  That means Trenton.

Or Cold Lake, or Bagotville.  The "T" in AN/TPS-70 stands for "transportable".   ;D

CDN Aviator said:

Well if you wanted to get that granular, I could add a couple dozen more electronic parameters that can be tweaked.  They all serve to adjust the features I listed, though.  That would be rather long-winded and boring, don't you think?

Back