• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aug 2008 BMQ - ALL LOCATIONS

Do you absolutely need to be able to run the 2.4 km in under 10 min. 13 seconds? I've been jogging and running for 8 months now and I'm still not sure if I'd be able to do it on my first try.  Maybe I should be focusing just on the running.  As for push-ups, I did 50 a couple of weeks ago - not too worried since I work chest twice a week.  Sit-ups could be a problem though.

Cheers,

Darren

Darren_x said:
Do you absolutely need to be able to run the 2.4 km in under 10 min. 13 seconds? I've been jogging and running for 8 months now and I'm still not sure if I'd be able to do it on my first try.  Maybe I should be focusing just on the running.   As for push-ups, I did 50 a couple of weeks ago - not too worried since I work chest twice a week.  Sit-ups could be a problem though.

Cheers,

Darren

Don't know for sure but I imagine we'll all be running the distances together, albeit most likely at our own paces, but still, we'll all have each other pushing each other to make the times and distances.

Kev

From what I gather... the group runs as a group. You're only as fast as the slowest person... atleast from what Basic-Up showed.

No its not absolutely neccessary that you run it under 10:13. As long as you do it under 11:56 than you should be able to pass the beep test. If your close to 11:56 id be a littler worried and work really hard these last few weeks to increase your VO2.

By the way guys, what is the length of a standard high school track? Someone had mentioned that 6 laps is roughly 2.4 km. Is that true?  I've been running on the treadmill at Goodlife as well as the track.  Since we're about 7 weeks out, I'm going to concentrate more on outdoor running.  I think the fitness test (run) our first week is on the treadmills anyhow.  If you train outdoors the treadmill will be a breeze.

Darren_x said:
By the way guys, what is the length of a standard high school track? Someone had mentioned that 6 laps is roughly 2.4 km. Is that true? 

Standard high school track is a quarter mile (402 meters).  So yes 6 laps is equal to 2.4km (2.412 if you want to be technical).

Oh don't get me wrong I am not getting into that "min standards" mindframe....I am pushing myself with all the stuff i do be it running or pushups or otherwise to the point of failure to get the best time possible not just the min to pass.

I am just a detail oriented person and it is a bit weird that i keep hearing that the requirements are 2.4k in 12min and 19 push ups but then i get my package in the mail and it says that i need to do 30 push-ups so i am just wondering if there has been a change.

On a side note i wish i had a track around me but unfortunately i do not so i have mapped out the distance of the perimeter of the park closest to my house and use that (the great thing is google map says it is 2.6km so pretty close to the standard 2.4....just hope the google map is accurate)

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I am looking forward to BMOQ but a bit nervous.  I am feeling confident with the physical requirements and I am sure we will all be fine.  2.4KM in 12 minutes is reasonable if we all push each other and as far as I understand you get two shots at the strength tests (in the first week and somewhere towards the end) - I could be wrong though.  I have been at the gym 4 times a week - sometimes 5 and do some running there and heaps of cardio with hockey and ball hockey.  Practice the 20 minute shuttle run as well if you have time.  There are some links you can download to get the speed and time or try on the runner at the gym...start pace is 5.3 miles/hour then increase it every minute by about .3 - if you want to challenge increase the slope on it as well.

Anyways, good luck with the training.  Hope to see you all there!  I arrive in Montreal from Edmonton on the 16th of August and will be part of the BMOQ 0039 course.  Any of you in the same course?  Perhaps we can sort out a facebook group...

Hi everyone!

Training is going well for me. I am actually training to run the Navy 10k for August 17th here in Halifax. Push ups have been the biggest challenge but I can do them properly now!  :)

A few weeks ago on Truth, Duty, Valour on the CLT channel they had a 2 part series on BMQ in St. Jean. It was very interesting and showed what it was going to be like for us. They did show group runs and the platoon doing the Express test, which was on day 3 I think. Nowhere did I see people running on treadmills! They ran outside even when it was icey!

If you want a rough idea of what our days will be like here is a link to schedule in pdf format that I found on the St. Jean website. http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/pei.pdf

Training has been going good here aswell... except during situps my lower back starts to ache. I assume from a weaker core. Any tips? I can get to the minimum easily the first set, but she really starts to ache after that.

Are you doing deadlift ? Back extension ? Plank ? Over head squat ? In other words, are you working your low back ? If not, that good be a good start !

Today marks the end of my application journey.  I don't know what to do with myself now because I've grown so used to sitting by the phone.  Anyone know why?...
Because, I got called!!!  Hahahaha!  So bloody happy its surreal.  Thanks to all the people in here that helps me out with the application process.

I'm out August 10th, for the August 11th BMQ.

Cheers, Kyle

Nice one Kyle! It's like they have a habit of calling when you are least expecting it. They called me hours before our baby was delivered, I sure wasn't expecting the call that day back in April  ;D

Now change the signature on your avatar  :salute:

Victoria07 said:
  5.3 miles/hour then increase it every minute by about .3 - if you want to challenge increase the slope on it as well.

Are you positive that is the start time and increase speed? I did it today and completed level 14...running a total of 16 minutes (1 minute walk warm up). To be honest, if it had been the actual test i could have kept going. I mean i do have my 2.4 at 9:35 right now but that just seemed a little to easy. Although on a treadmill there is no stop and go, so im sure that would probably knock of a stage. Anyways, maybe the hard work has paid off more than i figured.

Hi Everyone

DEO Armour
August 18 BMOQ

Look forward to seeing you all there.  If you're going armour too let me know, i assume we'll be together through to the end of phase IV.  Does anyone know when the start of CAP is after the end of our BMOQ in November?  If not I'll just ask about it at the swearing in...in shape? close, did 8km in 35 minutes, hopefully make some more improvement on that weekly...must do more sit ups!!

VM said:
Are you positive that is the start time and increase speed? I did it today and completed level 14...running a total of 16 minutes (1 minute walk warm up). To be honest, if it had been the actual test i could have kept going. I mean i do have my 2.4 at 9:35 right now but that just seemed a little to easy. Although on a treadmill there is no stop and go, so im sure that would probably knock of a stage. Anyways, maybe the hard work has paid off more than i figured.

That's too little of a speed increase - I added it up, and that only puts you at 9.2 mph at stage 14.  By my estimation, you're sprinting at about 10.5 to 11 mph at stage 10.  I run a 2.4km in 8:50, and I've only made it to stage 13, so you've overestimated it a bit.

To get the correct feeling for the 20 msr,  you need to do it on the ground instead of on a treadmill.  Just find an unobstructed 20m path, preferably on solid indoor floor or outside with gravel-free pavement.  Start jogging back and forth and increase speed slightly every 8 times.  The stops and starts are important in preparation.  Stage 10 is when it starts to feel like a sprint for me, but I have a long stride.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25020331196

For anyone on facebook this is the Aug 11th BMQ group.  So, join up if that means you, obviously.

Cheers, Kyle

I just finished the entire application process with medical and interview so im waiting on a call but they said i should be leaving for an august bmq course hope to be there with u guys

Back