• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Election 2013

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
References:
A. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25692/post-1121714.html#msg1121714  )
B. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37454/post-1123873.html#msg1123873  )  Perhaps a Mod could copy the
C. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37454/post-1123938.html#msg1123938  )  references to this thread, please
D. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37454/post-1124324.html#msg1124324  )

A look ahead at the BC election in this report which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/poll-gives-ndp-8-point-lead-over-bc-liberals/article2382939/
Poll gives NDP 8 point lead over B.C. Liberals

IAN BAILEY

Vancouver— Globe and Mail Update
Published Tuesday, Mar. 27, 2012

The opposition B.C. New Democrats have an eight percentage point lead on the governing B.C. Liberals in voter support, according to a poll released Tuesday.

The Mustel Group Market Research survey also found 17 per cent support for the B.C. Conservatives.

On Monday, former cabinet minister John van Dongen, the Abbotsford-South MLA, said he would be departing the Liberal caucus to join the Conservatives, giving them a seat in the legislature.

The survey also found that Premier Christy Clark has a 41 per cent approval rating and 40 per cent disapproval rating. Nineteen per cent of respondents were undecided.

Adrian Dix, leader of the BC New Democrats, had a 35 per cent approval rating and 29 per cent disapproval rating. Thirty-six per cent were undecided.

The Mustel survey was conducted by random telephone calls of 518 B.C. adults between March 5 and 19.

Its findings indicate that, overall, 17 per cent of respondents were undecided.

The margin of error is plus-or-minus 4.3 percentage points at the 95 per cent confidence level.

Release of the survey results come as Angus Reid Public Opinion released a national poll whose findings indicate that Ms. Clark is among four Canadian premiers with disapproval ratings above 50 per cent. The specific number they calculate is 58 per cent; her approval rating is 33 per cent. Nine per cent were undecided.

The other premiers with disapproval ratings above 50 per cent are Quebec’s Jean Charest at 67 per cent. Nova Scotia’s Darrell Dexter at 57 per cent and Ontario’s Dalton McGuinty at 55 per cent.

The survey found Mr. Dix has an approval rating of 47 per cent and a disapproval rating of 37 per cent. Sixteen per cent were undecided.

Angus Reid’s findings are based on an online survey of 6, 622 randomly selected adults conducted between March 6 and 14. The margin of error is plus-or-minus 1.2 per cent 19 times out of 20.

We have a year plus until BC is scheduled to go to the polls: Tue, 14 May 2013 so there is plenty of time for things to change.

Why thank you, sir!  ;D

Here is some more with regards to Mr. van Dongen's crossing the floor to the BC Conservatives.

Here is his speech to the legislature:

http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/1-down-how-many-to-go/

1 Down … How Many to Go?
March 26th, 2012 · 27 Comments

John Van Dongen has made history … resigning from the Liberal caucus and the Liberal party to sit in the Legislature as a Conservative.

But what I found MOST interesting is how blunt he was in skewering the party and what it has become under Christy Clark.

Here is Van Dongen’s full statement to the Legislature:
“Mr. Speaker, I rise and ask for the attention of the House to make a personal statement.

For almost 17 years I have risen in this chamber to represent the best interests of both my constituents, and the best interests of all British Columbians.

I have done so as a member of the Official Opposition for 6 years, a Cabinet Minister for 8 years and as a private member for the last 3 years.

Throughout that time I have been keenly aware of both the privilege and responsibility that comes with being an elected member of this Assembly. I have always tried to conduct myself in a manner consistent with the expectations of those who entrusted me with this office.

I am by no means a flawless individual, but have strived for personal and political integrity. I have always taken ownership of my own shortcomings.

Mr. Speaker, I had hoped that there would have been renewal in my party and in government. But, in the past 12 months, that has not happened. Indeed, every week constituents question government actions and issues that I am not able to defend.

What I believe people expect from political leadership are core values that include integrity and a genuine commitment to public service.

Integrity includes honesty, ethics and personal character. Integrity is non-negotiable. It is foundational for a strong organization. Most importantly, integrity includes accountability.

To this day, Mr. Speaker, there are still serious unanswered questions regarding the writing-off of 6 million dollars in legal fees in the BC Rail case contrary to government policy. Questions I have been asking for a year-and-a-half, and questions the Auditor General is seeking answers to through the courts.

Most recently, the unexplainable cancellation of a 35 million dollar naming rights agreement with Telus is another example of failed leadership.

There have been other lapses in proper accountability and I expect more to come. When more and more decisions are being made for the wrong reasons, then you have an organization that is heading for failure.

Today, Mr. Speaker, I rise because I can no longer carry on with my duties as a member of this government. I have decided to resign as a member of the BC Liberal Government Caucus and I am cancelling my membership with the BC Liberal Party.

Mr. Speaker, I believe the  people of BC deserve a government that will look in the mirror and honestly contemplate what it sees in the reflection; a government that people have trust and confidence in; a government that models true accountability for its own actions.

To my colleagues in the government caucus, as well as those in opposition and those who sit as independent MLA’s — I celebrate each of you and your willingness to serve the people of British Columbia. This is not an easy job, and so to all of you who continue to strive for excellence, I applaud your efforts.

To my constituents — in the coming days and weeks I look forward to speaking with you and further discussing the decision I have made. Indeed, Mr. Speaker, I have much to share — and will in the coming weeks, make it clear that while this was not an easy decision, it was the only decision I could arrive at in good conscience.

To the government caucus staff, constituency assistants and party staff — it has been a privilege to work with you.

To all those public servants who I have had the honour of working with — rest assured that my work with you to accomplish the goals and policies that were right for all British Columbians has been one of the most meaningful aspects of my time in public office.

To my family and friends — thank you for standing by me through some difficult times. In particular, I wish to thank Sherri and Lukas for their continued love and support.

In closing, Mr. Speaker, moving forward I will do what I have done for the past 17 years — I will put my time, energy and talents to serve my constituents and the party that can best provide British Columbians with a broadly-based, credible, free enterprise option.

Therefore, I am pleased to announce that I will now be sitting in this House as a member of the BC Conservative Party. I look forward to continuing to work hard for my constituents in Abbotsford- South, and for all British Columbians.

Thank you Mr. Speaker, and thank you members.”
Wow!

Van Dongen certainly pulled no punches …and it looks to me like these things were bothering him for quite some time.  And he certainly appeared to have read the writing on the wall …and on the blogosphere.

I have a feeling there will be more to come.

Isn’t politics interesting!

Harv Oberfeld

Mr. van Dongen is the first BC Conservative MLA to sit in the legislature since 1975, back when it was still the BC Progressive Conservative Party.  They dropped the "progressive" back in 1991.  They have pretty much been a rump since the Socreds rose to prominence back in 1952.

This is not good news for the BC Christy Party (look at their logo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Liberals ).  They are fighting two by-elections in ridings that used to be long-time BC Liberal ridings, but they are currently running third in both.  The NDP are expected to take Port Moody-Coquitlam.  Joe Trasolini, a former supporter of Clark, is running for the NDP.  In Chilliwack-Hope, it's a toss-up between the BC Conservative candidate, or the NDP winning due to a split in the free-enterprise vote.  To my knowledge, the NDP has never won in Chilliwack-Hope.

The BC Liberals are desperate.  Premier Clark has gone into hiding (to emerge 24 hours later), and his "friend", cabinet minister Rich Coleman insinuated that Mr. van Dongen has mental issues, by talking about his "personal problems".

Here is some more commentary.  His post is too long to post, but is very insightful

http://alexgtsakumis.com/2012/03/27/the-real-story-of-the-vandongen-resignation-christy-clark-hides-to-avoid-basi-virk-tipping-point-while-her-media-friends-message-pure-lies-and-spin/

The wheels are coming off the bus.

On the bright side, if the Lib/Con coalition in BC and the NDP wins provincially in 2013, BC should have a much reduced appetite for federal NDP MPs in 2015.

Hopefully!

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is more on Mr. van Dongen hiring a lawyer to dig into Christy Clark's involvement in the sale of BC Rail, and the $6 million pay out to Dave Basi and Rob Virk, after pleading guilty to corruption charges related to the BC Rail sale.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/van-dongen-hires-lawyer-prominent-in-bc-rail-case-to-probe-further/article2383601/

Van Dongen hires lawyer prominent in BC Rail case to probe further
Mark Hume
VANCOUVER— From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Mar. 27, 2012 10:06PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Mar. 28, 2012 4:10AM EDT

A North Vancouver lawyer who won unprecedented access to Crown files in a political corruption case has been hired by Conservative MLA John van Dongen to investigate the matter.

Mr. van Dongen, who caused a stir when he quit the Liberal Party on Monday, said he hopes Roger McConchie can answer some of the troubling questions that still surround the conviction of two former ministerial aides – Dave Basi and Bobby Virk – on breach of trust charges.

“Well I think the really key question is the decision to forgive the $6-million in legal fees, completely contrary to government policy, for the stated purpose of saving some money overall. We don’t normally do that on any other criminal case. Why and how did that happen?” said Mr. van Dongen.

Mr. Basi and Mr. Virk were top aides in the government of former Liberal premier Gordon Campbell. They entered guilty pleas in a breach of trust case in 2010, after maintaining their innocence through a lengthy pretrial process. The pleas came shortly after the trial had begun, bringing an abrupt end to a case that was expected to expose the inner workings of the government.

The terms of the plea bargain were never released. Critics have long alleged the government went for the deal in order to silence the two men, whose defence was that they had been following orders when they leaked confidential cabinet information about the 2003 sale of B.C. Rail, for $1-billion.

Mr. van Dongen said behind closed doors he and other Liberal members questioned the decision to pay the legal fees of public servants who had admitted guilt.

“Well, we didn’t get an answer,” he said. “We were simply told, ‘Hey, we’re going to save money doing this [by shortening the trial] … It just didn’t pass the smell test, not then and not now. And so I’m talking to Roger … I’ve asked him to examine the thing and give me advice,” said Mr. van Dongen.

Mr. McConchie declined comment on his assignment for Mr. van Dongen. He has appeared in court for The Globe and Mail numerous times to argue for access to search warrants and other documents filed in the Basi-Virk case.

After the trial ended, Mr. McConchie worked with The Globe to gain access to thousands of pages of material on which the Crown had based its successful prosecution. The extent of the release was unprecedented in B.C.

The Crown files did not contain information about the plea bargain, but did show that Mr. Basi and Mr. Virk had worked as a team of two, dealing confidential government information to lobbyists Erik Bornmann and Bruce Clark. Mr. Clark was a Liberal fundraiser, and is brother to Premier Christy Clark.

Leonard Krog, attorney-general critic for the NDP, said he welcomes Mr. van Dongen’s attempt to get at details behind the case.

“Maybe Mr. McConchie has an angle on this the opposition hasn’t considered. … I suspect not, but I am delighted to see the BC Rail case back in the news,” he said. “We have never had the full story on the BC Rail scandal.

“This case still stinks.”

Mr. Krog has repeatedly called for a public inquiry.

Despite the RCMP and BC MSM exonerating Premier Clark, Alex Tsakumis has been releasing documents on his website (which were submitted as evidence at the Basi/Virk trial) which suggest otherwise.

http://alexgtsakumis.com/

More wheels are falling off the bus...shared in accordance with Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/politics/premier+ministers+question+their+political+future/6376159/story.html

B.C. premier’s top ministers question their political future

Abbott, Falcon yet to decide if they will run again

By JONATHAN FOWLIE, Vancouver Sun March 29, 2012 5:56 AM

VICTORIA — Two of Premier Christy Clark’s top cabinet ministers cast doubt on their own political futures Wednesday, saying they have not yet decided whether they will run in the next provincial election.

The admissions from Finance Minister Kevin Falcon and Education Minister George Abbott came in response to questions from reporters, who have been asking MLAs about their futures following John van Dongen’s defection to the B.C. Conservatives earlier this week.

“I’ve got a young child at home, as you know, and before I make a major decision like that, I certainly make sure I spend the time thinking about it and talk to my family,” said Falcon, who is also deputy premier.

Abbott also said he is undecided.

“I have not yet made up my mind on that question,” said Abbott, who was first elected in 1996.

“There are many things that one thinks about on these kinds of questions and among those are: What do I want to do with the next four years of my life? Are there things that I’d like to do other than politics?”

The admissions are significant, especially coming from two of Clark’s top lieutenants, both veteran politicians known to be careful with their words. Falcon and Abbott were also the second and third place finishers behind Clark in last year’s B.C. Liberal leadership race.

The timing of the remarks is also damaging to Clark, coming just days after van Dongen’s departure.

On Wednesday, both Falcon and Abbott insisted their indecision should not be seen as a lack of support for either the premier or the government.

“I’m very supportive of the premier. I’m very supportive of our government and I am actually much more optimistic than most people about how things will end up when it really gets closer to decision time,” said Falcon, who told reporters he is not considering a jump to federal politics.

Abbott said Clark “absolutely has my full support,” adding he is simply offering an honest answer.

“I’m not going to tell you I’m running when I haven’t made up my mind yet,” he said, adding he wasn’t going to say otherwise just “to get through a challenging week.”

Wednesday’s high-powered hedging came as some backbench B.C. Liberal MLAs were also waffling on their future plans.

“My decision, my big struggle is would I want to run again?” Abbotsford-Mission MLA Randy Hawes said Tuesday.

“Everybody has a best-before date. Maybe mine is coming,” he added.

West Vancouver — Sea to Sky MLA Joan McIntyre said she hasn’t yet announced whether or not she will run.

And Vancouver-Fraserview MLA Kash Heed said he will “make a decision” soon about his “political future.”

Meanwhile, Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Ida Chong and Health Minister Mike de Jong both said they plan to run in the next election.

Energy Minister Rich Coleman told reporters he is “absolutely” going to run, but then said he always makes the final decision about six months away from any election.

Clark has already had two former cabinet ministers — Iain Black and Barry Penner — leave her government to take jobs in the private sector.

During last year’s leadership race, Falcon said he would happily balance his family and young child with what he knew to be a demanding job.

But on Wednesday, he said that is different than being a minister.

“I was ... looking at changing things in terms of where my wife and family might live and how we could do things to ease the burden on me being away from the family so much,” he said of when he was running to be premier.

“Obviously that didn’t come about and so I’ll make that decision when it’s appropriate to make it,” he added.

New Democratic Party house leader John Horgan said Falcon plays a very senior role in Clark’s government, so his remarks should be extremely worrying for the premier.

“He’s just tabled the budget that will define the remaining days of the B.C. Liberal regime in British Columbia,” said Horgan.

“He’s integral. He came votes away from being the premier of British Columbia. Christy Clark was forced to keep him close, he’s the deputy premier, he’s the minister of finance,” he added.

“If he’s not sure if he’s staying – wow.”

Veteran political observer and professor emeritus at the University of Victoria Norman Ruff said Falcon must be seriously considering an exit, given his comments.

“The fact he’s doing it openly means that it’s not empty musing. He really is seriously contemplating it,” said Ruff.

Ruff said Falcon’s young family does give him a legitimate reason to consider his future, but added the possibility of being relegated to the opposition benches after the next election has to be a factor.

“He can read the polling trends perhaps better than anyone else and so if there is a question in your mind about whether you want to do it personally, the polls will help settle it for you,” said Ruff, adding others are probably taking a similar hard look.

“He’s probably not alone.”

An official with the premier’s office said Wednesday that Clark has not given MLAs a deadline to make a decision on whether they are going to run.

jfowlie@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Both Kevin Falcon and George Abbott ran against Christy Clark for the BC Liberal leadership.  Falcon is a "blue Liberal" from the "Tory" wing of the party, with a reputation for being very partisan.  George Abbott has a reputation as being more moderate (he worked NDP campaigns in a past lifetime) and congenial.

And more on the festering BC Rail deal...shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/auditor-general-battles-bc-for-access-to-documents-in-corruption-case/article2384998/

Auditor-General battles B.C. for access to documents in corruption case
Mark Hume
VANCOUVER— Globe and Mail Update
Published Wednesday, Mar. 28, 2012 8:13PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 29, 2012 2:01AM EDT

Government delays in producing documents, restrictions on access to material, and blanket claims of privilege are threatening to derail an investigation into the payment of legal fees in a political-corruption case, the Auditor-General of British Columbia claims.

The allegations are made in a series of petitions and affidavits filed in a Supreme Court of B.C. case that pits the Auditor-General’s office against the Ministry of the Attorney-General.

But in a statement issued Wednesday night, Attorney-General Shirley Bond said it is her understanding legal differences have now been resolved.

"As recently as last Friday, the Auditor-General assured me that he has been provided with access to all records not subject to solicitor-client privilege in the possession of Legal Services Branch in the Ministry of Justice and in the possession of the Risk Management Branch in the Ministry of Finance," she said in a statement.

The court record, however, shows no sign that matters have been resolved.

At the core of the dispute is the Auditor-General’s demand for access to records related to the government’s decision to pay the $6-million legal fees of Dave Basi and Bobby Virk, two former ministerial aides who entered guilty pleas on breach of trust charges.

The Auditor-General’s office last year set out to investigate the government practice of providing indemnity for officials who face charges.

But a legal battle soon erupted concerning the Auditor-General’s access to government files. The matter is still before the courts, with the next hearing set to take place in June, and documents filed in the case show the Auditor General fears the audit could be in jeopardy.

“As a result of the delays in production, withholding of documents and restriction on obtaining information the completion of the audit planning phase has been significantly delayed. If access to documents in situ is not provided, the Auditor-General advises me that he is uncertain whether he can even complete the audit in accordance with the audit standards,” states an affidavit sworn by Beverly Romeo-Beehler, assistant auditor general.

Ms. Romeo-Beehler recounts several incidents in which the Auditor-General’s staff were either refused access to documents, or had to wait up to 14 weeks for material, even though they had confidentiality releases from Mr. Basi and Mr. Virk, and had obtained a B.C. Supreme Court order clearing access to all material related to the case.

In June of last year, auditors picked up binders of information from the Ministry of the Attorney-General.

But Ms. Romeo-Beehler said in the affidavit that the ministry “withheld seven binders containing hundreds of documents…[by asserting] blanket claims of solicitor client privilege.”

She said a second demand for material had to be issued, which “is a highly unusual step in a performance audit for the Auditor-General.”

Ms. Romeo-Beehler also complained “the Government made a blanket public interest immunity privilege claim over a banker’s box of documents (655 documents) without providing specific reasons . . .It took 14 weeks to obtain the documents . . .[and] it appears to me that the blanket claim. . .was too broad.”

Ms. Romeo-Beehler said the Attorney-General’s office also put restrictions on access to files, including demanding “that no notes will be taken when reviewing the documents” and requiring auditors to flag any documents they wanted copied. That material would then have to be cleared for release by “Cabinet Operations,” she said.

“These restrictive terms prevented the auditors from properly utilizing the documents to conduct an audit,” she stated in the affidavit. “Without access to the documents and information sought ... the Auditor-General will be unable to complete the planned audit.”

The affidavits and petitions were filed with the court last November. When contacted this week and asked for a progress report, a spokesman for the Auditor-General said everything that has to be said is stated in the petition.

In its response to the petition, the Attorney-General’s office states it “has been attempting to work with the Office of the Auditor-General to bring the issues respecting third party solicitor-client privilege and confidentiality to a resolution through the court.”

It states that 10,000 documents have been produced and more will be released.

“The Auditor-General is currently doing a review, and we have been proactive in assisting him in fulfilling that mandate,” Attorney-General Shirley Bond said in the House on Tuesday. “We have made every effort to cooperate and, in fact, have responded to all of the requests of the Auditor-General. As recently as Friday the Auditor actually sent another letter for requests relating to indemnities in British Columbia, and we are co-operating fully.”

It has been a long standing policy of the BC government to not pay the legal bills for civil servants found guilty of criminal acts committed in office.  Mr. Basi and Mr. Virk were paid $6 million in BC taxpayer money to cover their legal fees, after they plead guilty to corruption charges.  The plea deal was struck just before former cabinet ministers, including then Premier Gordon Campbell, were set to testify at their trial.

EDITED to fix formatting.

Although it is early going, the polls are not good for Clark's Liberals according to this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/poll-shows-bc-liberals-in-freefall-as-conservatives-gain-ground/article2389692/
Poll shows B.C. Liberals in freefall as Conservatives gain ground

ROD MICKLEBURGH

Vancouver— Globe and Mail Update
Published Monday, Apr. 02, 2012

he B.C. Liberals’ freefall in public opinion under Premier Christy Clark has hit a new low, according to the latest survey by the Angus Reid polling firm.

The poll shows the Liberals now tied with the upstart B.C. Conservative Party at 23 per cent voter preference, far behind the NDP, which has a 43 per cent share of public support, according to Angus Reid.

The online survey was taken just after Liberal backbencher John van Dongen abandoned the party a week ago and joined the Conservatives, who have yet to elect a member to the legislature.

While NDP support has remained steady since the most recent Angus Reid poll in January, the Liberals have dropped five percentage points and the Conservatives are up four points in popularity among the 800 British Columbians surveyed.

The poll is hardly a morale booster for the Premier as the Liberals struggle to hold on to two seats in a pair of upcoming by-elections.

The poll results show a perfect split in the so-called free enterprise vote, which, if an election were held today, would produce a sweeping majority for the NDP.

New Democrat leader Adrian Dix leads Ms. Clark and Conservative Party leader John Cummins in all leadership categories posed by Angus Reid.

His approval rating is 45 per cent, compared with 32 per cent for Premier Clark and 28 per cent for Mr. Cummins.

Asked who would make the best premier, 25 per cent of respondents gave the nod to Mr. Dix, with 17 per cent opting for Ms. Clark and 12 per cent for Mr. Cummins. However, a large number (43 per cent) chose none of the current leaders, or said they didn’t know.

At 23 per cent, the Liberals are now at the same low level of popular support in Angus Reid surveys that they had under former Premier Gordon Campbell, shortly after the HST came into effect.

The figure is precisely half of the 46 per cent in popular support the party recorded in winning the 2009 election. Almost all the slippage has gone towards the B.C. Conservatives.

The Angus Reid poll is considered statistically correct, plus or minus 3.5 points, 19 times out of 20.

The non-NDP vote is split but it is marginally greater than the NDP's share (46% to 43%).

Now  2009
BC NDP              43%  42%
BC Liberals          23%  46%
BC Conservatives 23%    2%
BC Greens            8%    8%
Other /
Independent        3%    2%

This poll has been showing the same trend as other recent polls.  The BC Liberals are bleeding support to the BC Conservatives; the NDP and Greens have not been making any significant gains, even in the face of scandal and incompetence with the governing BC Liberals.  The free-enterprise coalition is imploding, and it must be destroyed in order to be re-built.

If the BC Liberals lose badly in both upcoming by-elections (come in third in both and/or the BC Conservatives win Chilliwack-Hope), expect the destruction to occur at an exponential rate.

An updated article, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/poll-reveals-monumental-collapse-in-support-for-bc-liberals/article2389692/

Poll reveals ‘monumental collapse’ in support for BC Liberals
Rod Mickleburgh
VANCOUVER— From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published Monday, Apr. 02, 2012 4:48PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Apr. 02, 2012 10:19PM EDT

Premier Christy Clark’s mantra-like pleas for support from so-called free-enterprise voters to avoid a split that would elect the NDP are beginning to have a hollow ring, according to the latest public-opinion poll in the province.

The survey by Angus Reid found the governing BC Liberals and the BC Conservatives neck and neck in popular support, each with 23 per cent, while the NDP remains far in front at 43 per cent. If the seepage of former Liberal voters to the Conservatives continues, the upstart, right-wing party headed by John Cummins could soon be the best statistical option for British Columbians who want to prevent the NDP from forming government.

“If they get ahead of the Liberals by a couple of points, then they could conceivably have the moral high ground to say: ‘We are the ones trending upwards. We are the best choice to keep the NDP out,” Angus Reid pollster Mario Canseco said Monday. “The Liberals are now down to half the voters they had in the last election, when they won with 46-per-cent popular support. It’s a monumental collapse.”

Royce Koop, an assistant professor with Simon Fraser University’s school of public policy, agreed that the Liberals may now have a tough time positioning themselves as the only choice for British Columbians concerned about an NDP victory.

“The Conservatives can make the argument that it’s the Liberals, not the Conservatives, who are splitting the anti-NDP vote,” Prof. Koop said. “Christy Clark’s big thing has been heading off the Conservatives, and it’s just been a big failure.”

The Angus Reid online survey of 800 adult British Columbians was conducted last week, after the high-profile defection of long-time Liberal backbencher John van Dongen to the Conservatives.

The Liberals have plummeted five percentage points in support since the last Angus Reid poll in January, putting them at the same low level the party registered under former premier Gordon Campbell, just after the much-derided HST came into effect.

NDP Leader Adrian Dix remained ahead in all leadership categories, according to the poll, with an approval rating of 45 per cent, and 25 per cent choosing him as the best choice for premier.

Ms. Clark’s approval rating was 32 per cent, Mr. Cummins’ performance was approved by 28 per cent of those surveyed, while Jane Sterk, the low-key leader of the Green Party, had 26-per-cent approval.

Ms. Clark was considered the best option for premier by 17 per cent and Mr. Cummins by 12 per cent.

Mr. Dix also fared better than Ms. Clark as the leader best equipped to deal with such issues as crime, health care, education and the economy.

The freefall in Liberal support since Ms. Clark won the Party leadership 13 months ago was particularly acute among women.

The poll found that a mere 15 per cent of female respondents said they would vote Liberal in an election, while 52 per cent opted for the NDP. Among male voters, the NDP lead was far more narrow, 35 to 31 per cent.

Mr. Canseco said Ms. Clark’s families-first agenda has failed to resonate with women, who are more concerned with health care and education, areas where the Liberals score poorly.

“It’s been difficult to connect with the Premier’s policies. There seems to be a new thing every couple of weeks, with no real coherence,” he said. “People don’t react well to that.”

The Angus Reid poll found that 33 per cent of people who voted Liberal in 2009 are now backing the Conservatives. “It’s not that the NDP is a juggernaut,” Mr. Canseco said. “The low Liberal numbers are because they are bleeding support, and most of that is going to the Conservatives.”

Applying the current popular opinion numbers to an election would result in a sweeping majority for the NDP, Mr. Canseco said.

Ms. Clark, chased down a hotel corridor by reporters seeking her reaction to the poll numbers, finally stopped and said she had no quick reaction. “I haven’t seen them yet, so when I see them, I will have a comment.”

The margin of error in the Angus Reid survey is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

With a report from Robert Matas in Vancouver

If this trend continues, the BC Conservatives will become the choice of free-enterprise voters in BC before the next election.

RangerRay said:
If this trend continues, the BC Conservatives will become the choice of free-enterprise voters in BC before the next election.

If this keeps up, we will have another round of the BC Fed running the province's economy into the ground via their proxy sock puppets known as the BC NDP.

As long as the free enterprise majority of the province has divided voting loyalties, the minority progressive side gets to drive the provincial economy off the road.

Again.  Just when things have been going so well for so long.

But not to worry, there is still time for sanity to prevail, for the power brokers to have "the talk" with Christy, to tell her to go for a walk in the rain  and ponder her future, to clean house of the old & tired blood in the party, and for the right of center majority to build a new coalition to run against the socialist horde.

My extreme right wing solution, which would be a heck of a lot better than fours years of NDP havoc, would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JSToyiyr8

Haletown said:
Again.  Just when things have been going so well for so long.

Things have not been going so well.  While the government enacted policies that were "business friendly", they came at the cost of the public interest.  The provincial debt has continued to sky-rocket due to the mismanagement of the BC Liberals.  Public assets are being sold for a song to party donors.  Industry writes regulations for government for its benefit.  It's crony-capitalism at it's finest.

Haletown said:
But not to worry, there is still time for sanity to prevail, for the power brokers to have "the talk" with Christy, to tell her to go for a walk in the rain  and ponder her future, to clean house of the old & tired blood in the party, and for the right of center majority to build a new coalition to run against the socialist horde.

I used to be one to believe that all free-enterprisers must vote BC Liberal in order to keep the NDP out of power.  However, I have changed my mind over the last few years.  They are not a free-enterprise party, but a crony-capitalist party, much like the federal Liberals.

IMHO, the rot is too far deep in the BC Liberal Party.  It is rotten to the core.  It must be destroyed and BC must suffer four years of socialist governance for a new free-enterprise coalition to develop.

It looks to be a bad time for the conservative incumbents in BC and Alberta. The Alberta PC's seem to be going down hard in a way not to unlike the old federal PC's under Mulroney and the BC NDP look like they're going to win and that the BC Conservative Party has a good shot at taking the subsequent opposition spot from the BC Liberals

Here is some more on Premier Photo-op, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/rod-mickleburgh/christy-clark-replete-with-smiles-not-substance/article2388813/

Christy Clark: Replete with smiles, not substance
ROD MICKLEBURGH
Published Sunday, Apr. 01, 2012 9:40PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Apr. 02, 2012 1:00PM EDT

Why did Christy Clark want to be Premier of beautiful British Columbia?

When she figures that out, maybe she will start to do a better job.

As it is, Ms. Clark has been mostly floundering since leaving her comfortable, well-paid position as a radio hot-line host – which she was good at – to contest and win the leadership of the Liberal Party with the support of just one of its 48 MLAs.

And now, with two intriguing by-elections in traditionally safe Liberal ridings coming up, the Clark leadership wagon could lurch straight into the ditch if the party does poorly in both contests.

The past week has been particularly rough. Coming off yet another mis-statement on public transit funding, Ms. Clark was hit by the defection of peeved backbencher John van Dongen to the fledgling B.C. Conservative Party, out-loud musings by two senior cabinet minister that they might not run again, and yet another bad public opinion poll that gave her the second-lowest approval rating among all the premiers of Canada.

Increasingly, it appears that Ms. Clark simply liked the idea of being Premier, without much thought of what to do after that. Almost willfully uninterested in policy, she’s been lurching from slogan to slogan, while claiming to be responsible for virtually everything good that moves. (Not recently; she has been like this since she entered politics! - RR)

It’s not working.

Veteran political analyst Norman Ruff, who has seen premiers rise, and mostly fall, in British Columbia over the past 40 years, says Ms. Clark is the victim of her own shortcomings.

“There’s a gap between her smile and her actual performance,” says Mr. Ruff of the perennially-upbeat Premier.

Rather than establishing substantive programs of her own, Ms. Clark has spent most of her time reacting to events, and that’s not cutting it with British Columbians, according to Mr. Ruff, professor emeritus at the University of Victoria.

“There’s been nothing innovative from her at all. The issue is leadership and she has not been able to deliver on it.”

And yet, despite all, this is not to say she is inevitably doomed to defeat when the province troops to the polls next year. A year is an eternity in politics. Ms. Clark has hired a number of experienced political strategists, and strange things can happen in the heat of an election campaign.

But as of today, the provincial Liberals seem as tired of being in office as the voters are of having them there.

Our very own liberal Sarah Pailin.  ::)

One quibble: she was not a good radio host.  Her show was horrible.  It did not take me long to stop listening to CKNW in the pm.

>the minority progressive side gets to drive the provincial economy off the road.

What, you don't believe they'll summon the legislature just long enough to pass a PR scheme and then call an election to get a "fair" and proportionate result?

Just as Canada won't work very well federally if the LPC and CPC don't exchange sides of Parliament, too much time in tenure for the Socreds/Liberals/Conservatives in BC is undesirable.  The NDP has to have a shot occasionally to rebalance the unbalanced and to force the L/C coalition to clean out its stable of ideas - a one-term shot, preferably, but a shot nonetheless.  People need reminding that the NDP can be corrupt and mismanage the economy, too.

One other reason why I won't mind a one-term NDP government is because they promise to hold a full judicial inquiry into the BC Rail sale and the $6 million payout to Basi and Virk to plead guilty.  The BC Tories also promise a full inquiry.

The more I read about it, the more it stinks.

Looks like the BC Liberals are re-thinking their stance on Senate reform...again!  Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-politics/bc-liberals-stall-private-members-bill-praised-by-federal-conservatives/article2394615/

B.C. Liberals stall private member’s bill praised by federal Conservatives
Ian Bailey
Published Friday, Apr. 06, 2012 7:09PM EDT
Last updated Friday, Apr. 06, 2012 7:12PM EDT

B.C.’s Liberal government is pushing the pause button on proposed legislation to elect senators that drew praise from the federal Conservatives, with the government house leader saying the private member’s bill needs more work.

When MLA John Les, a former solicitor general, tabled his bill last month, he predicted speedy passage that would allow an election this fall to replace Senator Gerry St. Germain, who turns 75 in November, thus hitting the retirement age.

Premier Christy Clark, through a spokesperson, also indicated her continued support for the bill.

But Liberal House Leader Rich Coleman is ruling out quick action. “I don’t expect the bill to be considered this spring as there is still [some] drafting work and consultation that needs to occur,” he said in an e-mailed statement.

He was unavailable for further comment and did not reply to e-mailed questions from The Globe and Mail seeking elaboration. Mr. Les, parliamentary secretary to the Premier, did not return calls.

John Horgan, the opposition house leader, said that, given Mr. Coleman’s statement, the earliest the bill could come before the legislature would be in a fall sitting expected to start in October.

The NDP MLA said the Liberals may have advanced the idea to win support in the riding of Chilliwack-Hope, now facing one of two ongoing by-elections. BC Conservatives are mounting a strong effort to win the seat, riding rising support in the polls for their party.

“Mr. Coleman, if he wanted to move this, could move it,” Mr. Horgan said.

Mr. Horgan said it was telling that the government advanced the legislation as a private member’s bill instead of a government bill. “It would have been brought forward through the legislative process by the government house leader, who hasn’t mentioned it to me once in the last month,” he said.

Mr. Horgan said he had asked Mr. Coleman why the bill wasn’t a government bill. “He said, ‘Because it’s a private member’s bill.’ He was quite dismissive of it, so I don’t think Coleman himself thinks it’s a good idea.”

Mr. Les’s bill appeared designed, in part, to woo supporters of the BC Conservatives, a centre-right party that is drawing support away from the Liberal government, threatening its re-election next May.

Conservative Leader John Cummins said Friday he was not surprised at the Senate-election twist, given the “certain amount of confusion” he said currently appears typical within the Liberal government.

Mr. Cummins, who supports the election of senators, said the Les bill had technical flaws. “It’s that lack of thought and careful consideration that is a hallmark of this government. You shouldn’t be surprised that they would screw up a Senate bill,” he said.

The former Conservative MP said he expected the Liberal hesitation would be disappointing to the federal government, which has been enthusiastic about provinces electing senators for the Prime Minister to appoint. When the plan was announced, federal Heritage Minister James Moore – lead federal minister for the province – and Tim Uppal, federal Minister of State for Democratic Reform, issued a statement applauding the proposal.

“This backing off on the commitment may cause a little upset in Ottawa,” Mr. Cummins said.

But Mr. Cummins also said he doubted Senate elections would have wooed BC Conservatives away from the party because most are more energized by economic policy. “I don’t think that anything the Premier is going to do with regard to an elected Senate is going to convince them to turn around and suddenly vote Liberal,” he said.

...and a possible reason why Mr. Coleman is so keen to delay the bill...?

http://alexgtsakumis.com/2012/04/05/exclusive-senator-rich-coleman-used-his-position-as-govt-house-leader-to-help-his-bid-to-replace-gerry-st-germain/

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Senator’ Rich Coleman Used His Position As Gov’t House Leader to Help His Bid to Replace Gerry St. Germain???

It’s amazing what you discover when you have a chat with a few pals in Ottawa and then do some quick research, only to encounter what looks like a MUCH bigger story than anyone in the media first recognized.

Let me take you back to the proposed private member’s bill of one John Les, baggage porter to the newly bespectacled Dummy. More of Les was made, last month, when he suggested that British Columbia elect its Senators. The Premier immediately endorsed the idea, and, of course, as part of her viral efforts to lull conservative voters into a coma–on the BC Liberal side of the Right-Wing Rift Valley, this was seen as the gold standard of ruses: It worked in Alberta in galvanizing possible splinters–sort of, therefore, it must work here.

Presto! liked it, so Dummy must follow suit.

Johnny’s bill would, more or Les, make yet another play for the hearts of the first herd–all now following BC Conservative leader, St. Herman of the Munster, as he leads his new, growing flock on a perpetual Sabbath into grain fields of abundance; stalks of plenty.

Yay, as they walk through the valley of the shadow of the Dense One; they still fear her evil.

And here it comes…he saved us from ourselves.

Bless Rich Coleman ( http://alexgtsakumis.com/2012/03/30/exclusive-breaking-news-senator-rich-coleman-lies-to-the-bc-media-patrick-kinsellas-second-best-friend-in-cabinet-is-not-running-in-the-next-election/ ), honestly, he’s so wonderfully kind and stunningly intelligent, he had other ideas,…..of HIS OWN–that were more, not Les. The private member’s bill would have to wait till fall because a period of “consultation” is required. So nimble is the Coleman mind, so quick his gray matter, that not even a day later, the Baron had made Les of the bill. It would have to wait until the fall–perhaps beyond.

Ah, of course, The Baron of Bovine Blather bloviates, the Earl of Excremental Excellence elucidates, the Duke of Diabolical Dithering declares,..and the Heavens parted, trumpets blared and the angels sang….

Okay, had enough? Didn’t believe me when I told you Coleman had formed a committee of sorts and was aggressively lobbying Senator St. Germain to be his replacement in the fall?  Well, it turns out that Richie Rich may be trying to force Big Steve’s hand as well.

I spoke to two friends in Ottawa last night. I will describe them both as “very close” to the Prime Minister.

“There are two people being pushed on us right now. Rich Coleman, who is trying to use Gerry as his spokesman and the other problem is our friend Colin Metcalfe, who won’t shut up about Sam Sullivan for Senator, which as you know, makes our stomachs turn. So, we’ve got Coleman who hangs out with his best bud Pat Kinsella and Sullivan, who wants everyone’s drug-addicted kid given free shit for life. It’s not a a good situation, but we’re looking at other higher profile candidates too.”

Colin Metcalfe, for the uninitiated, is the top dog in the Minister’s Regional Office in Vancouver, and isn’t supposed to be committing to such insanity, however, his support of the drugs-for-everyone’s-kids Sullivan, is well beyond simple insanity–it’s despicable.

More to the point: Did Coleman dim the lamp, so as to make Johnny’s bill Les?

Specifically, did Rich Coleman use his position as Government House Leader to make it easier for him to become Senator in the fall?

You see, if Les’ bill is delayed to the fall–the purview of the House Leader–perhaps even well past the retirement of St. Germain, which is scheduled for November, then, regardless of the Conservative majority in the Senate, the Prime Minister may be forced to make a selection prior to BC getting a chance to vote.

That’s why the Premier has all but dropped the proposal: Clark and Coleman receive political advice from Kinsella and a conflict wouldn’t be good. Is there a deal between the three? If Coleman leaves in the fall a by-election embarrassment isn’t necessary. Hence, it would be in Clark’s best interest to put Les’ bill on ice, likely advancing Coleman to the next and final round of the Senatorial sweepstakes. He agrees to leave as late as possible and neither is hurt in the process.

Brilliant, eh?

So I ask again…

Is Rich Coleman in a conflict? Is he using his position as Government House Leader to delay an agenda item and possibly benefit himself as a result?

If Les’ is delayed in presenting the bill in the Legislature, Coleman, by the time it rolls around, may end up in a position of having benefited from a process only he, as House Leader had any control over.

No? Well, have a read of this ( http://www2.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=db8d1b4b-38a4-48a2-9242-68c25eaa0d4e ), and tell me why the mainstream press isn’t pressing him for answers. We all missed it.

Until now.

RangerRay:
One other reason why I won't mind a one-term NDP government is because they promise to hold a full judicial inquiry into the BC Rail sale and the $6 million payout to Basi and Virk to plead guilty.

Don't you think that those records will eventually (I mean on a timely basis for the Liberals) be accidentally destroyed somehow? I do. They are NEVER going to see the light of day. And if they are destroyed? Consequences after a long NDP or Conservative initiated inquiry?

NOTHING.

Just curious; is there any spillover across the Rockies from the rise of true small "c" conservatives like the Wildrose Alliance and the Saskatchewan Party?

I find BC politics rather incomprehensible (party labels don't seem to mean the same things as they do here), and know of the various personalities only second and third hand via legacy media and the Blogosphere (and the dichotomy between these sources is mind blowing).

So the question is really two fold: Is there an actual small "c: conservative party or movement in BC, and what is their chance in this election? (Supplementary question: is this movement or party capable of contesting and wining in the future?)

This is potentially a game changer in Canadian politics if the flow of demographic and economic power to the West is matched by a change in the political alignment of the West; small "c" conservatives provincially could create a pool of experienced small "c" conservative candidates to run in future Federal elections (and with the massive demographic backing, potentially create a small "c" natural ruling party for decades to come).

Rifleman62 said:
RangerRay:
Don't you think that those records will eventually (I mean on a timely basis for the Liberals) be accidentally destroyed somehow? I do. They are NEVER going to see the light of day. And if they are destroyed? Consequences after a long NDP or Conservative initiated inquiry?

NOTHING.

Silly me.  Yes, it's all pointless, so corruption shouldn't be investigated.  All free-enterprisers in BC should just suck it up and vote for the ethically bankrupt BC Christy Party because they are not the NDP.  Who cares that they brought in a useless carbon tax, make BC Hydro pay exorbitant rates for power from IPP's at a time of the year when Hydro has a surplus of power, and turn the province into a Monopoly board.  And Christy Clark is the epitome of intelligent, competent governance.

[/sarcasm]

Back