• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best posting for experience?

Graduate what? High school? College? University?
Sorry, graduate from university. I know that MP trade requires a degree/diploma from approved fields. I have already done the CFAT and qualified for MP but my application was put on hold until I graduate and provide them with the final transcripts. In regards to RCMP and OPP these two I believe do not require degrees but I wish to graduate before I apply so I can put my degree in the application. I have been to the RCMP info sessions and was told that I should just apply now as the degree is not that important, but I graduate in a few months, it is going to be a long process so a few more months should not be an issue, if it has a chance to make me more competitive.

Sorry, graduate from university. I know that MP trade requires a degree/diploma from approved fields. I have already done the CFAT and qualified for MP but my application was put on hold until I graduate and provide them with the final transcripts. In regards to RCMP and OPP these two I believe do not require degrees but I wish to graduate before I apply so I can put my degree in the application. I have been to the RCMP info sessions and was told that I should just apply now as the degree is not that important, but I graduate in a few months, it is going to be a long process so a few more months should not be an issue, if it has a chance to make me more competitive.
Consider applying now. It’s a long process - likely over a year - and you can update “hey, got my degree now” once that applies. Totally normal situation. Might as wel get the ball rolling.

Consider applying now. It’s a long process - likely over a year - and you can update “hey, got my degree now” once that applies. Totally normal situation. Might as wel get the ball rolling.
I'll second this. You're already vastly over qualified for the RCMP with a degree. Start the application immediately, Depot will be ramping up to back fill all the lost time and troops during Covid, plus our Union is pushing hard to force the Government to increase staffing levels across the board. Your chances are good. When I did the process in 2016 it took 11 months from the first meeting to a troop offer.

That being said, I'm sick to death of people joining the RCMP with the express intent of bailing for their actual force of choice ASAP. Just a personal thing. Lots of people join up in the hopes of getting a posting in the east, and not surprisingly don't get it and then either badge over to go home or develop massive chips in shoulders because they think they're special and deserve to go home. If you want OPP, apply there. If you want RCMP, apply there. If you want somewhere else, apply there. That's my opinion only though, lots of people have used the RCMP to get hired on where they actually want to be.

I'll second this. You're already vastly over qualified for the RCMP with a degree. Start the application immediately, Depot will be ramping up to back fill all the lost time and troops during Covid, plus our Union is pushing hard to force the Government to increase staffing levels across the board. Your chances are good. When I did the process in 2016 it took 11 months from the first meeting to a troop offer.

That being said, I'm sick to death of people joining the RCMP with the express intent of bailing for their actual force of choice ASAP. Just a personal thing. Lots of people join up in the hopes of getting a posting in the east, and not surprisingly don't get it and then either badge over to go home or develop massive chips in shoulders because they think they're special and deserve to go home. If you want OPP, apply there. If you want RCMP, apply there. If you want somewhere else, apply there. That's my opinion only though, lots of people have used the RCMP to get hired on where they actually want to be.
Thanks for the detailed response. I plan to apply to RCMP as soon as I graduate this June. I talked with an RCMP recruiter before and they told me that I could not put my degree down until I graduate. So I plan to just wait the few months. I understand it is a lengthy process and that it would be best to apply now and then update my application saying I graduated. I do not mind the lengthy application as it gives me time to better myself both mentally and physically. Would it be that bad of a choice to decide to wait until June when I get my degree to apply?

Thanks for the detailed response. I plan to apply to RCMP as soon as I graduate this June. I talked with an RCMP recruiter before and they told me that I could not put my degree down until I graduate. So I plan to just wait the few months. I understand it is a lengthy process and that it would be best to apply now and then update my application saying I graduated. I do not mind the lengthy application as it gives me time to better myself both mentally and physically. Would it be that bad of a choice to decide to wait until June when I get my degree to apply?
It’s not a “bad” choice. But your degree is irrelevant. By the time it becomes relevant you’ll have graduated.

No one cares about your degree until the final review. You impress no one having a degree.

You’ll just have a box on an application way down the line that says “degree” ✅

It’s not a “bad” choice. But your degree is irrelevant. By the time it becomes relevant you’ll have graduated.

No one cares about your degree until the final review. You impress no one having a degree.

You’ll just have a box on an application way down the line that says “degree” ✅
They'll care when it comes time to select who to fill the troop with.

Start your application, update it when your degree is in hand, and understand we need so many people right now you're vastly overqualified and unless you have some skeletons like crushing personal debt or you get caught being deceitful during the Polygraph, you'll probably get a plane ticket to Depot. After that, it's all up to you performing.

And if your heart is with another Police force, apply there too. Nobody wants to be a cop these days, number of applicants is down across the board for all Police forces from what I've heard.

It’s not nearly as important as people think it is. It’s nice. But easily replaced with almost any consistent experience.

You can stop saying it’s making them vastly overqualified to be in the rcmp as well, it’s a degree. I have several. So do a bunch of new people that report to me.

It’s irrelevant unless you’re trying to work for a LAST team.

And it’s one thing on what they look at to place you into a troop. It’s not even heavily weighted.

Personal characteristics are more important, from experience- applicants with degrees get deferred all the time.

Speak two languages? Have a bunch of degrees? Missed a bunch of shifts in university at your part time job? Deferred.

Because the components of your personality are more important.

Geography has more to do with selection than education does.

It’s not nearly as important as people think it is. It’s nice. But easily replaced with almost any consistent experience.

You can stop saying it’s making them vastly overqualified to be in the rcmp as well, it’s a degree. I have several. So do a bunch of new people that report to me.

It’s irrelevant unless you’re trying to work for a LAST team.

And it’s one thing on what they look at to place you into a troop. It’s not even heavily weighted.

Personal characteristics are more important, from experience- applicants with degrees get deferred all the time.

Speak two languages? Have a bunch of degrees? Missed a bunch of shifts in university at your part time job? Deferred.

Because the components of your personality are more important.

Geography has more to do with selection than education does.

The point, to the OP's questions, is apply now. Degree, no degree, it can help but we look at things like honesty, maturity, assertiveness and reliability and weight all of it to make selections. We're so short, bar is very, very low right now. Once you get to Depot, if you do, the rest is on you to pick up the knowledge skills and abilities and demonstrate them back to the instructors in order to pass.

We'll just have to agree to disagree as to how our recruiting system works Booter.

Ive done work for security doing backgrounds and assisted filling troops and discussing troop compositions while on an advisory committee. I’m familiar with how it works. That includes my knowledge of how seats are assigned.

The degree isn’t a big deal. You’re right they should apply now.

The point, to the OP's questions, is apply now. Degree, no degree, it can help but we look at things like honesty, maturity, assertiveness and reliability and weight all of it to make selections. We're so short, bar is very, very low right now. Once you get to Depot, if you do, the rest is on you to pick up the knowledge skills and abilities and demonstrate them back to the instructors in order to pass.

We'll just have to agree to disagree as to how our recruiting system works Booter.
Ive done work for security doing backgrounds and assisted filling troops and discussing troop compositions while on an advisory committee. I’m familiar with how it works. That includes my knowledge of how seats are assigned.

The degree isn’t a big deal. You’re right they should apply now.
I was wondering can I say I got my degree after I got all my marks which would be in May and am technically graduated or does graduation status apply after the convocation which is held in June?

My guy. You are overthinking this. I think me and redfive would agree on that.

I know this is HUGE. Because it’s your future and you want to do it right the first time etc.

I think you would ask that question of three people and get five different answers, only your recruiter in your province would tell you what they want. I think technically until you have convocation you haven’t gotten your “degree”.

Before your application comes together it will be literal months before people start looking at your suitability. You will be graduated and have your convocation by then and you can supply your marks etc, in the initial stages it won’t matter not even a little.

The Mounties in this thread all had applications that are more akin to what you will go through rather than mine.

I just reread your posts- you were told at the info sessions not to worry about waiting to apply until after your degree. Those are the people that know best for your competition in your area.

Do what you feel would make you most comfortable. We ll still be recruiting in two months.

Then soon enough you’ll be in depot sitting next to a guy who worked at Best Buy for 15 years and has no post secondary. He just has the ability to be consistent.

I was wondering can I say I got my degree after I got all my marks which would be in May and am technically graduated or does graduation status apply after the convocation which is held in June?
When you can physically scan your degree and send your recruiter a copy, do it. Before then, don't worry about it.

My guy. You are overthinking this. I think me and redfive would agree on that.
I've specifically bowed out of that part of this conversation because you clearly do have experience on the inside of that process. All I have is personal observations as a field coach and "senior" member of the watch in a Detachment that used to get four or more recruits every troop. Things are bad staffing wise, education is no guarantee of success but, in my opinion, a pretty good indicator of who is going to be successful. The overwhelming majority of washouts I saw had no post secondary education.

Interestingly enough, all of them failed for being officer safety disasters and nothing academic. I bet somebody smarter than I could figure that out...

I just reread your posts- you were told at the info sessions not to worry about waiting to apply until after your degree. Those are the people that know best for your competition in your area.

Do what you feel would make you most comfortable. We ll still be recruiting in two months.

Then soon enough you’ll be in depot sitting next to a guy who worked at Best Buy for 15 years and has no post secondary. He just has the ability to be consistent.
Thanks for all the information and help, maybe I am overthinking it. From what I understand the RCMP is extremely competitive and assume the same is for the MP with it also being very competitive. I am just worried and overly cautious maybe.

Maybe i
I've specifically bowed out of that part of this conversation because you clearly do have experience on the inside of that process. All I have is personal observations as a field coach and "senior" member of the watch in a Detachment that used to get four or more recruits every troop. Things are bad staffing wise, education is no guarantee of success but, in my opinion, a pretty good indicator of who is going to be successful. The overwhelming majority of washouts I saw had no post secondary education.

Interestingly enough, all of them failed for being officer safety disasters and nothing academic. I bet somebody smarter than I could figure that out...
Maybe it’s just perspective. My experience has been the opposite- but maybe that’s why anecdotal experience isn’t that great.

I appreciate the work you do in beast like Surrey. Even if I seem like an archaic dinosaur in the woods online.

Thanks for all the information and help, maybe I am overthinking it. From what I understand the RCMP is extremely competitive and assume the same is for the MP with it also being very competitive. I am just worried and overly cautious maybe.
The difference the MP/MPO trade has specific education requirements.

We don’t have that. We are competitive in a different way. One of the best ways to show the things needed is to chase education. It’s also not the only way.

All education is good. I encourage all my people to be chasing education constantly. I’m big on it.

I just also know the weight of the degree is often not what people think it is.

A degree is not the be all end all. It’s also definitely not ‘overqualified’. Some sort of post secondary, either college or university, is mostly normal. Those without either probably have some impressive work history- a few of the CAF vets I’ve seen get in fall into that category.

But yeah, as said above, the process is a long haul, and you’ll be graduated well before your file is reaching anything close to a first culling phase.

Do what you’re comfortable with. If that’s waiting a couple more months, all good. Though that could be a couple months earlier to retire on the other end. Weird way to think about it, but time is the thing you can’t reliably get more of. If your only concern is getting the paper on the wall first, I think we can all assure you that with how close you are, it’s not a concern.

Back