• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ failure rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_man12

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering what the failure rate is at BMOQ?  I was told by someone today that it is just over 50%.  I thought that number was rather high, but then again I haven't read anything to tell me otherwise.  What do you guys think?

Wow, 50%...no wonder there are never enough soldiers around when we need them.

Someone is pulling your chain. And its nothing to worry about. You are not put on BMQ to fail....accordingly its not like university where they will want you to fail. The CF wants you to pass BMQ and get to your real job. It is the job of the instructors to help you pass.

Prairie Dog he is talking about BMOQ which if I remember correctly is Basic Military Officer Qualification.

I don't know anything about the numbers but 50% wouldn't surprise me. There probably would be some people that would attend and would not have the leadership or the aptitudes needed to be an officer in the CF.

See this previous thread on failure rate for IAP/ BOTP which was what BMOQ was previously called.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30564.0.html

From this thread the 50% rate apparently includes people who are "dropped on request" and are "recoursed".

My mistake....I didn't realize we were talking about the spoiled university kids.

I just graduated this week. We had 49 make it. When we started, there were 70.

Now, that is NOT all faliure. Some guys went strait to RFT, I think around 11 guys went the first week. Some guys get REALLY sick when they're there, and miss class, who get recoursed. Some guys VR too, but it was a SMALL amount. Probably 10 guys.

We also had guys added to our platoon from other platoons, for the above reason.

Hope that sheds light.

Prairie Dog said:
My mistake....I didn't realize we were talking about the spoiled university kids.

I'm sorry? You have a problem with people furthering their education?

Shoto said:
I just graduated this week. We had 49 make it. When we started, there were 70.

Now, that is NOT all faliure. Some guys went strait to RFT, I think around 11 guys went the first week. Some guys get REALLY sick when they're there, and miss class, who get recoursed. Some guys VR too, but it was a SMALL amount. Probably 10 guys.

We also had guys added to our platoon from other platoons, for the above reason.

Hope that sheds light.

What I gather from this is that there are many factors contributing to the lack of success (as opposed to outright 'failure') of some candidates in IAP/BOTP. It could be injury, illness, low level of fitness, VR due to personal reasons, or some combination. I wonder what the actual number is for those who simply fail the courses due to lack of ability, effort, or 'the right stuff' and not for any of the aforementioned reasons. I'm betting it's nowhere near 50%, or even 25%.

Prairie Dog said:

Spoiled? I guess working two jobs and attending classes at ungodly hours in the morning and night is the new spoiled... In fairness to the comment, there were a few students that filled that bill there, but that is a pretty broad generalization. I better go, the caviar is chilled to perfection, and I need my nutrition before my polo class starts. ;D

I agree. The reason of "Not the right stuff" is not really there. I would say, those guys mostly VR.

There are some guys, when you get to CFLRS.. that you look at and say "WHY the hell are you even here". But right now, the Army wants 100% of the people going in to CFLRS, to get out and serve. They DONT want faliure. Always keep that in mind. So long as you WANT to be there - you will most likely pass. Will they give you a hard time? Hellz yes.

But we passed through some pretty... ghostly guys? Guys who JUST didn't seem like they wanted to be there. Remember though, as my father keeps reminding me in my frustration - it's ONLY bmq. They will have the oppourtunity to change in their careers, and will learn how the army works.

Don't worry about it. Just get in. Youll have a blasty blast!

Highlander60 said:
I guess working two jobs and attending classes at ungodly hours in the morning and night is the new spoiled...

I started university by distance education while i was on Tour. Had to fax my assignments by secure satcom ( from the back of a truck) to Ottawa so the guy there could send them by regular fax to my school. I continued school by writting essays from the back of an M113 in Wainwright ( fall weather there is great btw) during exercises while having to carry around my text books in my rucksack so i wouldnt fall too far behind. I did even more of it while raising 2 kids.........

2 jobs and long hours = spoiled indeed

Now back to the subject :

Statistics can be used to say anything and are more often than not, deceiving. Do not bother with the percentage of people who are not standing at the grad parade, this is of no concern. Go there, do what they want you to do, the way they want and put all your energy and maximum effort into everything, no matter how trivial it may seem. That way, you will be part of the positive statistic.

CDN Aviator said:
I started university by distance education while i was on Tour. Had to fax my assignments by secure satcom ( from the back of a truck) to Ottawa so the guy there could send them by regular fax to my school. I continued school by writting essays from the back of an M113 in Wainwright ( fall weather there is great btw) during exercises while having to carry around my text books in my rucksack so i wouldnt fall too far behind. I did even more of it while raising 2 kids.........

Oh yeah? Well, well, well, I studied full-time and held down three jobs and raised 5 kids all on my own and walked 10 miles in the snow every day...uphill...both ways.

(I really didn't, actually, but I wanted to join in the arms race for fun.  >:D)

Prairie Dog said:
Wow, 50%...no wonder there are never enough soldiers around when we need them.

Someone is pulling your chain. And its nothing to worry about. You are not put on BMQ to fail....accordingly its not like university where they will want you to fail. The CF wants you to pass BMQ and get to your real job. It is the job of the instructors to help you pass.

Prairie Dog said:

Universities want you to fail? I'm pretty sure they spend all that money advertising because their enrolment is too high... it's not like they need that tuition cash for anything right?

Other than driving through a campus to get a look at the tail do you have any university experience? Maybe you tried it and had to leave because "they wanted you to fail"?

CDN Aviator said:

I'd be interested to see how you think that is worse than working two jobs and long hours... if you were in the field how did you research your papers? Do you suppose it's possible that because it was distance education maybe just maybe you had some leeway that someone who wasn't a distance learner would not have? From my experience University is a lot like the original posters description of BMQ, if you want to be there and your professors see someone of value they will make an effort to see you through.

Us university snots don't have a monopoly on being spoiled, my little sister started BMQ last week and told us that every male except one who failed the PT test in her group quit rather than going to RFT. It would have been quite a sight if almost every university brat dropped out when we got our first F. How spoiled is it to waste a BMQ slot, to waste everyone's time and money just to quit at the first sign of trouble?

Prairie Dog maybe the air in your den sounds a little stale, using your brain instead of speaking out of your ass could maybe fix that.

jeffb said:
See this previous thread on failure rate for IAP/ BOTP which was what BMOQ was previously called.

Not quite correct.  IAP and BOTP used to give you the qualification BOTC which was renamed BMOQ. 

The failure rate on BMOQ really varies according to platoon.  When I was there we had 3 of 70 out right fail and get sent packing.  We had another 3 get sick/broken, and about 25 VR.  The other platoon had about 45 VR, BUT, their staff were really putting the ...rooster...to them.  (Rumour was that that platoon was not pulling together as a team, hence the meat grinder).  
I wouldn't worry about BMOQ.  If you're not stupid, and if you have a good work ethic you'll do alright there.

When I went through we had about 60 people to start and graduated 35, the vast majority of which were VRs and failures. I think outright, PO failure, PRB RTU's was 6 or 7.

Having gone through it, and now being on the other side as a Course O for leadership courses, I realize that BMOQ is really designed for you to pass, provided that you want to be there and can adapt to the army environment. Just pay attention and don't get kicked off for drill or weapons handling, if you're going to fail you might as well do it on the harder stuff like leadership or figuring out that whacky compass.

Eye In The Sky said:
Not quite correct.  IAP and BOTP used to give you the qualification BOTC which was renamed BMOQ. 

Fair enough but my point still stands.

Statistics will not help you. If one of your instructors wants you to fail, chances are you will fail. If you quit on yourself or your teammates chances are you will fail. There is a whole variety of reasons why you can fail, and if you do, maybe you can come back here and fill us in on statistics.

Prairie Dog said:

Wow...spoiled university kids???  someone must not get out often, or doesnt have much of an education past highshool...

I am going DEO into AEC, and I put myself through University, while paying my own rent and bills.  Not everyone who attends University is spoilled, now granted alot of kids today are taking it for granted, but there are those of us who where there for the education, and worked hard for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back