• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ May 2011

Rogo said:
That's odd because Gagetown should have the most new gear from what CFSU O Supply told me.    They said that places such as Ottawa are last to get new kit since there are few operational or field requirements....but even I have my helmet, tac-vest, a POS 64style ruck, etc.... 

They have a ton of people coming through all the time on a ton of different courses so they are pretty strained as well. I would be in the same situation as my peers that showed up to CAP with no kit except I had the support of my ULO in getting kit issued here and he made sure I got it, because supply here basically had a "your not our problem" response until I got my ULO involved. All those people that showed up on CAP without kit will likely be in the same situation going into Ph III, especially the RMC guys.

If you have a 64 ruck I would hold onto it personally. I paid good money to get one and its hard to get them issued. I agree with MJP I assume you mean the 82.

No i only say POS 64 because its almost falling apart, but I'm happy with the style I used them for about 4 years in the cadet program and they are pretty good despite the condition of most of them.

Rogo said:
No i only say POS 64 because its almost falling apart, but I'm happy with the style I used them for about 4 years in the cadet program and they are pretty good despite the condition of most of them.
Ah well, you should have said so right up front.
I'm sure no one would have doubted an OCdt's opinion of various rucks.....if we'd known it was based on Army Cadet time. ::)

I still carry a 64 ruck....rebuilt, and with some molle and harness mods.

;D  I was no self-declared expert JM.  Just backing up my claim, if you don't feel I am familiar enough with that piece of kit then that's fine.  ;D

Reaffirming......once again......why I really need to avoid Recruit threads.

Not remotely my lane!!  :facepalm:

Désolé

Edit: actually, rucks are within my lane; recruit opinions, however, are not  ;)

ballz said:
Ceebee did they have to return them at the end of the course or were they fitted and all that jazz and they got to take them with them? At least that one help fix the supply issues the 07 to 09 ROTP candidates are facing for future years of candidates.

They got to keep them, supply tried to take some items back in St-jean, But those who arrived with their kit stood their ground and told St-jean if they wanted to take the kit away to first phone the respective support bases as it was not St-jeans jurisdiction to take it away as they had not issued it and it was kit that the CFAO's/DAOD's clearly stated they must have due to element and trade.

on a side note, getting Army kit in Esquimalt is like the hunt for the holy grail...........

Rogo said:
That's odd because Gagetown should have the most new gear from what CFSU O Supply told me.    They said that places such as Ottawa are last to get new kit since there are few operational or field requirements....but even I have my helmet, tac-vest, a POS 64style ruck, etc.... 

While Gagetown may have it, good luck getting it while posted there as a student. Through BMOQ-L, DP 1.1 and DP 1.2, I was unable to get issued a tac vest, ruck sack, rain gear (old or new) unless I was actually on course. There is a big difference between having kit and having a policy that sees it issued to you.

With respect to which ruck is better for course, honestly, I've love the new ruck but if I had to do BMOQ again (shudder) I would bring my 82 pattern. Everything on that course is about standardization. Unless they've changed the room layout since I was there, if you are in the blue sector you're ruck will live at the end of your bed in a space that fits a 82 pattern ruck perfectly. Also, showing up with a new ruck will probably immediately get you labeled as a reservist which may or may not be a good thing depending on your personality.

Good luck to all on this course. If there are any future Artillery Officers here who want some more info about the next 2 years of their life, feel free to PM me.

CEEBEE501 said:
They got to keep them, supply tried to take some items back in St-jean, But those who arrived with their kit stood their ground and told St-jean if they wanted to take the kit away to first phone the respective support bases as it was not St-jeans jurisdiction to take it away as they had not issued it and it was kit that the CFAO's/DAOD's clearly stated they must have due to element and trade.

on a side note, getting Army kit in Esquimalt is like the hunt for the holy grail...........

Would you suppose that I head down to the CFSU O Clothing Stores (Supply) and get paperwork showing what specifically I have been issued so that I may produce that in St Jean?   

Rogo said:
Would you suppose that I head down to the CFSU O Clothing Stores (Supply) and get paperwork showing what specifically I have been issued so that I may produce that in St Jean? 

Just a little advice to anyone being issued kit: ask for a copy of what you just signed for.  They have a photocopier or a printer, so it is a very simple matter of them giving you a copy when you get your kit.  Always keep your own PERS FILE to track you clothing issues, your pay, your Posting and Tasking messages, Letters of Appreciation, Leave Passes, PDRs, PERs, Crse Reports, and any other records that are pertinent to your career.  You never know when you may have to verify that you have a qualification or that you only used five days Leave not ten. 

As for your Clothing Docs, they are all computerized and can be called up at any Clothing Stores across the country.  Same goes for your 404's and most other information stored on you.

Many thanks,  being that I am still uneducated in many of these things, what are 404s?

And is it fairly common to get issued kit improperly?  I almost got a issued 2BEW at once and was also finding that stuff they assured me was in the bag was not yet it has been signed for.  They also produced a large gas mask for me yet my head is not that large but I don't know whether to ask to fit it or what since I am untrained on the equipment and it is still sealed in the shiny silver vacuum bag.

404's are you military driver's license.  Yes, kit is issued as the wrong size from time to time. However, you will learn on BMOQ how to tell if you have a properly sized gas mask by checking the seal. There is a contraption that the clothing folks use to size your gas mask and if they used that, you can be fairly confident it was sized correctly.

Make sure you verify everything that you sign for before you sign for it. Basically, once you've signed for something, you are responsible for it. Hence the reason you are signing in the first place.

Okay I will return to them with my concerns promptly. They did not measure my face or anything at all, just told me to stick it in the bag.

Hey Dou You, how's that medium treating you?  ;D

16 May to 26 Aug.

Edited to correct typo.

Saskboy said:
Hey Dou You, how's that medium treating you?  ;D

Hahaha Oh wow, well it's alright, although it will probably rip if I ever have to bust chins in it...

I was just notified as to what serial I am on and it's L0058E 9 May - 18 Aug. Anyone else?

Nothing just yet. Still tentative.  Things seem to take awhile to trickle down to me way out west/ in the middle of nowhere. Ha ha.

16 MAY - 25 AUG 11 TO ATTEND ENGLISH BMOQ SERIAL L0060E AT CFLRS SAINT JEAN, QC   

It's official for me now.

Rogo said:
16 MAY - 25 AUG 11 TO ATTEND ENGLISH BMOQ SERIAL L0060E AT CFLRS SAINT JEAN, QC   

It's official for me now.

Likewise for me.

Back