• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
You'll get a ton of needles if you don't have your book.  MMR (measles, mumps rubella), tetanus/diphtheria, polio, yellow fever, typhoid, meningitis, hep A & B, plus the TB test. It doesn't end on basic training either, some of them like typhoid you get every 3 years. I think we had 3 needle parades when I was BOTC.

Cheers

uh oh. I don't have any kind of book, but I had all my needles....maybe i will need that nurse to hold my hand  :crybaby:

Reservist need not worry too much about needles until they are deploying overseas....

But if you wanna count there a number of diffrent injections:

MMR, Mennigitis, Hep A, Hep B, Tetnus/Diptheria, Typhoid, are the most common.

PPD (TB test) isn't a vaccination, its a screening.

Also there are area specific ones like yellow fever, anthrax,

and also oral ingested vaccines like malaria.

Look under the WHO site for travellers and see them all.

Nope, there is no harm what so ever, that was one of the first questions we asked when we got to needle parade for the first time at BMQ.

There may be no harm in getting a vaccination you've had over again, but it can't do you any benefit either.  The Health Canada nurse who immunized all of us federal workers at my workplace - the airport in Toronto - told me I should've had the CF call her before sticking me with any needles last summer.  I didn't have the immunization records she conveniently had given me, but she could have faxed them over her copies.

Oh well, lesson learned.

I now take my immunization record and travel immunization booklet everywhere I go while wearing the cadpat, just in case.

Wow, I've never had any needles in the reserves.

I can't wait until I go overseas.. I get a tonne of needles, AND my wisdom teeth pulled.. :)

If you haven't had Hep A & B, you might want to look into getting them done now. For Hep A you get one shot then 6 months later you get the second.  Hep B is 3 shots, the 2nd one a month after the first and the 3rd one 6 months later.  The rest of them are a one dose deal, it might make your tour request go a little easier since you'd have one less hang up. That's just my opinion though, I've never done a tour as a reservist.

Cheers

I've had Hep A and Hep B already, plus a couple of the other standard ones that are given out in Alberta. I'll hace to check my records, but I'm too lazy to dig 'em up right now. (in fact everyone in high school was jealous because I'd already had Hep B, so I didn't have to get those shots when they all did). I just haven't had any vaccinations through the military, for the more exotic diseases...

Well, I'm starting 4th week of BMQ here in Saint-Jean right now.  I'm going regular forces however.  But we got our vacc's second week, and the first day of  third they got blood for the blood tests (women were exempt because they need to do the blood work before giving the women vacc's [checks for pregnancy etc]).  So they had us all lined up in the MIR waiting to have our blood taken, and we are a platoon of 60 people (or were at the time, 5 people VR'd that week) and so the process of waiting in line is long.  Anyways, one guy had his blood taken and of course they boot you out of the seat and off into another line right away.  He was looking a little pale and so we asked him if he was alright.  He said yes of course, (our platoon is 90% infantry, myself included so its natural you get a lot of macho attitudes).  Anyways, not 30 seconds later he fell straight back.  He was just out of range of anyone grabbing him and he smoked his head on the ground.  I swear it was one of the sickest sounds I have ever heard.  And of course he bled like a sonofab*tch.  So that in turn made a bunch of other guys queasy

Hey guys;  for the topic of the Vaccination Book... whenever you hear you have an immunization parade, medical appointment or any other DAG type event ALWAYS have your book. Even though we in DCOS FHP streams are putting the immunizations in a computer database we do not have the time to look up all the personnels records (ie DAGing 100+ in a morning).  For some bases, no book no stick!!! Ie. I will not read a PPD result without the book, because I can't technically write in the result at a later time. AND btw.... an immunization parade IS a parade and you must attend if ordered to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent the last 3 months working on various immunization parades for both the reserves and the Reg F; PMed tech have no problem if you show up with an old book BUT AT LEAST TRY TO HAVE YOUR BLUE BOOK IF YOU HAVE ONE! If you do not have one I suggest you go and get one, again see your UMS/PMed sect, they will transcript from your yellow book to the blue.

The policy in regards to Vaccination refusal here in Valcartier is that we make you read the regulation and you must sign that you have read it. If you still refuse administrative action can be taken.

I hope this helps

Phil

Hello,

I was finally sworn in, heading up to bmq this sunday the 10th but i have a slight problem.. My family has been sick for 2 weeks so far and i was trying everything not to get sick, now that there colds reached the end i must have caught it. I was loosing my voice when i was getting sworn in and now i started to cough and have nasal congestion. I am pissed as hell and dont know what to do, i am taking tons of drugs, syrups anything i can. My flight is in 4 days, i feel like shit and dont know what to do. What would happen if i got there with a cold. Man i seriously cant believe this bs, why didnt it catch on to me 2 weeks ago. The cold hit me hard today. What should i do??

Thanks

I don't know about policies, but I would just say tough it out, it's 10 weeks long man...

The only thing you can do is just suck it up and do your best while trying to recover as best you can.

Jarko,

When I went through recruit training in 1988 (Cornwallis, NS), I caught a killer cold about 1/2 way thru.  All I can say is "soldier on!".  Keep a can-do attitude and you'll do fine.  My experience with that was it didn't take long for the cold to disappear and I can still remember my Master Corporal telling me to close my mouth during drill practice!  (I couldn't breathe through my nose, I was so stuffed up)

I remember answering "Yeff, Mafter Corbral!" -- LOL

Good Luck on your course!  You'll do fine if you have the correct attitude!

Sensitivity is not the CF's strong suit. Be prepared for "if the Canadian Forces had wanted to you to have a cold, they would have issued you one." Having said that, it will all work out. Good luck and good soldiering.

Suck it up Buttercup!!! You'll be fine. You'll be too busy to remember you even have a cold. Good luck and soldier on.

Buddy, you have to just soldier on and tough it out. If it makes you feel any better, or reassures you, I currently have Mono and I have had to do my entire FTX with it. At the beginning you will have lots of opportunities to sneak off to the bathroom and blow your nose, this is from a reservist standpoint, but the worst that happens is that you keep a rag in your pocket and blow your nose with it whenever you have the chance... also remember to DRINK alot since the air quality is never great in armouries and get a medical chit the first opportunity you have if you want to get out of some PT and drill... you will pay for this later though  >:D

Back