• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Eye In The Sky said:
This.  This is part of the 'indoc' to the CF both members and their families have to do.  Adjust from the start (BMQ), so the REAL seperations, deployments, etc where you ARE cut-off for OPSEC, etc, you can do it without going friggin' Coo Coo For Cocoa Puffs.

I agree. It was tough simply because our daughter was only 7 months old. However, we both knew what we were signing up for before he left. Some days were harder. It was actually nice though to be apart, it really brought us closer together. It was even hard incorprating him back into daily life when he came home. I think once people realize its not the end of the world because you cant talk to your spouse or family for a few days or weeks, then itlll be easier for them. When I go through, my BMQ will be 13 weeks, plus my course training will be 6 months. He was away for 7 months total, I will be away about a year total ( depending on how long I wait for my course ). Agian, we already know what we are in for. If people question whether or not they can handle being away from your spouse, kids, etc for 13+weeks, then maybe people should reconsider their enrollment.

ambernewton04 said:
I agree. It was tough simply because our daughter was only 7 months old. However, we both knew what we were signing up for before he left. Some days were harder. It was actually nice though to be apart, it really brought us closer together. It was even hard incorprating him back into daily life when he came home. I think once people realize its not the end of the world because you cant talk to your spouse or family for a few days or weeks, then itlll be easier for them. When I go through, my BMQ will be 13 weeks, plus my course training will be 6 months. He was away for 7 months total, I will be away about a year total ( depending on how long I wait for my course ). Agian, we already know what we are in for. If people question whether or not they can handle being away from your spouse, kids, etc for 13+weeks, then maybe people should reconsider their enrollment.

Agree 100%.  You need to get on the Recruiting threads and sort that sorry lot of whiners out.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
Agree 100%.  You need to get on the Recruiting threads and sort that sorry lot of whiners out.  >:D

Haha I only come to share my personal stories and opinions. I dont want to be the one to personally crush someone's dreams  :p

Don't crush their dreams...just cyber-slap them until they grown some thick skin and stop saying "me me me me me me".

Eye In The Sky said:
Don't crush their dreams...just cyber-slap them until they grown some thick skin and stop saying "me me me me me me".

I like you lol. This and many other things really p**s me off about how many people get in and are so ungrateful for the opportunity they are given. I know I am digressing, but when my husband went through, he had at least 3 people get kicked off course from DUI's. Other were kicked off the platoon in basic for DUI's, being charged or swiped too many times. It angers someone like me, who has wanted to be apart of the CF's since I was a child, and have jumped through hoops to get there ( almost there :) ). I have to sacrifice being away from my 17month old daughter for a year!! Ya that's gonna be tough as hell, but I know that the benefits will be so much more than the sacrifice.

Here is an interesting thought:

It never hurts to suffer some deprivation as long as long term health or safety is not affected. Soldiers do not need wireless internet in the field, nor do they require MP3 players or iPods and iPads in the defensive position, or a camcorder on patrol to upload their latest adventures to You Tube, or their cell phone to check in three times a day with 9er Domestic.  While many of our troops possess some of these electronic devices (and yes I do as well) they are not required when we are deployed on exercise or operations.

Jim Seggie said:
Soldiers do not need....or a camcorder on patrol to upload their latest adventures to You Tube...

While I agree it isn't a requirement to go around with a camera all the time just to get some hero shots and TIC videos for you tube videos,  but they do make for some cool tour videos  :D

On a serious note,  cameras and helmet cams can be beneficial and used in AARs(training and operations),  photographing people in the area(important people,  suspected bad guys, etc),  as well as some other things. 

Time and place for everything.

-Skeletor- said:
On a serious note,  cameras and helmet cams can be beneficial and used in AARs(training and operations),  photographing people in the area(important people,  suspected bad guys, etc),  as well as some other things. 

Time and place for everything.

This I agree with. BUT there has to be a designated vid/pic guy....not everyone.

I always find this topic funny.  I remember having my electronics taken away on my BIQ back in the day.  They would open up the lock up on weekends so people could get the gadgets etc with a condition they were returned Sunday night be a certain timing.  On the second week, my Phone and Camera were found on inspection.  I initially got jacked up and asked why I had my devices.  With my feet together, I told my NCO that my devices were handed over as per instruction on week one but on the first weekend, I discovered that they were left unlocked and thus unsecured over the weekend, (they opened up the locker but didn't lock it up at night etc)  Believe it or not but they didn't challenge me and I kept my stuff for the rest of course.

Now I await the onslaught of challenges to the above statement.

Alright; thought it was time to add some official CFLRS policy into this.  I'll not be posting a "SOP complete", but here are the important parts from Electronic Devices Usage By Candidates:

2.  This SOP applies to candidates on BMQs and all BMOQ serials, except the CHS BMOQ. It does not apply to GMT-IT, PLQ or OC courses. It also excludes WPC candidates, for which appropriate usage is defined in SOP 11-09.

5.  Prohibited Use  The following uses are prohibited during basic training at CFLRS. Any candidate found not respecting these will face confiscation of their devices and possible additional admin/disciplinary measures:
a. no electronic devices are authorized to be used/carried during training hours;
b. game consoles are unauthorized at all times and will be confiscated upon arrival; and
c. any type of ear buds/ear phones are not authorized at any time on any devices for security/safety reasons.

6.  Allowed Use  The following uses are authorized during basic training at CFLRS. However any abusive usage could lead to confiscation of a candidate’s devices and possible additional administrative/ disciplinary measures:
a. cell phones of all nature can be used on weeknights AFTER training has concluded but no earlier than 1800hrs. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends; and
b. other devices such as MP3s, IPods, IPads, laptops, etc MAY be authorized during the weekends in garrison if there is no training scheduled and if performance has been judged adequate by the Platoon Commander.

7. As a guideline to define “reasonable usage”, a maximum of 30 minutes per evening is considered to be reasonable. That does not prevent the instructor from initiating a corrective measure for a lesser usage if the activities of a particular evening justify it.

8. The main corrective measure to be used when an unauthorized/abusive usage of electronic devices is identified will be confiscation. When applied, a confiscation will include all of the candidate’s devices.

10. The length of confiscation will vary depending on the number of offences committed, as such: a first offence will result in a 3 day confiscation, a second offence 7 days and a third one, 3 weeks.

11. At no time will a confiscation be used as a punitive measure. Here are examples of infractions that would justify a confiscation:
a. insecure devices found during a security inspection;
b. using a device when not authorized;
c. abusive use of a device when usage is permitted;
d. poor preparation for an inspection (layout or common tasks); and
e. homework not completed or late.

The_Green_Basterd said:
With my feet together, I told my NCO that my devices were handed over as per instruction on week one but on the first weekend, I discovered that they were left unlocked and thus unsecured over the weekend, (they opened up the locker but didn't lock it up at night etc)  Believe it or not but they didn't challenge me and I kept my stuff for the rest of course.

Now I await the onslaught of challenges to the above statement.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  It's always a Pandora's Box to take someone's personal devices, unless you know for a fact they can be kept secure.  Otherwise, you open yourself up to all sorts of issues.

The CFLRS SOP addresses this issue quite nicely IMO.

- candidate retains possession (and responsibility for security) of their device(s), however they go into a container with a seal that is signed by the candidate and instructor.  You can see 'em, but you can't use them.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
The CFLRS SOP addresses this issue quite nicely IMO.

- candidate retains possession (and responsibility for security) of their device(s), however they go into a container with a seal that is signed by the candidate and instructor.  You can see 'em, but you can't use them.  >:D

That might have come in after my time.  Sometimes its worth to challenged authority.  I'm starting to get into territory I do not know all that much about and is not relevent to this forum, but at least this last summer, the Infantry school at CTC Gagetown was inspecting every persons kit and quarters for explosives upon leaving course.  Now they say it was authorized by the CO, right or wrong I do not know, but this is the same Canadian Forces that lost the right to hold Court Martial about 5 years ago because they were in violation of the Charter of Rights.  This was after dozens of years of court Martial... just no one had challenged it.

Edit:  Parliament quickly passed a law to am mend the court martial process.  http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=40c38ebe-6d5d-4e7f-b6d0-e53b0d03dc38&sponsor=

I think you're misinformed.....court martials still happen.  But lets not derail this thread about CMs.

The SOP I reviewed today was signed off Jan '12.

west_coaster said:
But, what are the actual rules/regulations on that though?

Jesus. This has to be a record, we don't even have to ask that you do a search, someone posted the rules about five up.

west_coaster said:
But, what are the actual rules/regulations on that though?

Forgive me, I made it too hard.  My bad.

Click on these underlined words and magic picture-box will show the rules    :blotto:  Helpful Internet Elves have painted some of the words in the color yellow to make it easy and fun for the whole family!

* some assembly required, batteries not included.  Choking hazard for children under 5 and/or stupid adults.

What's even better, is that this information on this topic is provided to CFRCs and is suppose to be provided by Recruiting Centres to all "new" enrollee's...  :facepalm:

These rules as outlined above are being administered and followed.  My husband is currently at BMQ.  He has his smartphone but it is in lockup until 6pm at night (and even then its always at the discretion of his staffs).  And while he may have access to it, it certainly does not mean he has the time to use it.  Some weeks they are allowed to use it between time X and time X... other nights it's not at all. 

He was told very clearly in his orientation before his swearing in, what he could and could not bring - and even then not to expect to be able to have access to it every evening. 

My only suggestion is get an otterbox or something for your phone.. those floors are hard.. phones shatter easily.  Not that I am speaking from experience or anything ;) 

Back