• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Being on the outside (in the recruitment process) it's hard for me to gauge the full impact either for or against this change (or any policy change for that matter).  But I can definitely understand why there is so much contention with the issue among longer-serving personnel.

All I know is that when I first brought my intentions of applying to the CF forward (to my husband & family), we were all under the impression that communication would be scarce during BMQ and probably afterwards for quite a while during subsequent training, getting my feet wet, etc., or if I'm deployed.  I never thought for a minute that I would be allowed to text, message, carry a cell or what-have-you and always pictured BMQ as being do-what-you're-told-when-and-only-when, and nothing more.  This was not the easiest of decisions, because of the fact that I have a young one and knew that the separation would not only be difficult for me but for him as well.

Anyway, my point is that I knew what I was getting into before I applied.  I was well aware that there may be periods of time where it won't be feasible to contact family--and that it may even be lengthy.  I'm unclear as to what people are expecting?  If you join the Military, Military comes first--that's what I've been told and what I understand. In addition to this, I don't want to be distracted.  And I'll be totally honest, if I'm successful I don't want to screw up in any way or do anything that will bring negative attention in my direction if I can help it.  I'm expecting it to be hard. I'm expecting it to be lonely. I'm expecting it to test me--that's what I thought I was signing up for. If the CF has functioned this long without cell phones at BMQ, why do they need to change that?

(If there's some sort of family emergency, they can contact you in some fashion anyway, can't they? Maybe not, I don't know, but I personally don't agree with having personal electronic devices while at BMQ/on course. Tthat's just my personal  :2c:)

I'm happy to have a cell phone while in basic. Like many I have kids and this is going to be hard on them. Using it in the evenings for five minute face time can go along way in morale for me and at home.. Other than that the phone stays in a box and will not be carried around.

Shuck10 said:
Being on the outside (in the recruitment process) it's hard for me to gauge the full impact either for or against this change (or any policy change for that matter).  But I can definitely understand why there is so much contention with the issue among longer-serving personnel.

All I know is that when I first brought my intentions of applying to the CF forward (to my husband & family), we were all under the impression that communication would be scarce during BMQ and probably afterwards for quite a while during subsequent training, getting my feet wet, etc., or if I'm deployed.  I never thought for a minute that I would be allowed to text, message, carry a cell or what-have-you and always pictured BMQ as being do-what-you're-told-when-and-only-when, and nothing more.  This was not the easiest of decisions, because of the fact that I have a young one and knew that the separation would not only be difficult for me but for him as well.

Anyway, my point is that I knew what I was getting into before I applied.  I was well aware that there may be periods of time where it won't be feasible to contact family--and that it may even be lengthy.  I'm unclear as to what people are expecting?  If you join the Military, Military comes first--that's what I've been told and what I understand. In addition to this, I don't want to be distracted.  And I'll be totally honest, if I'm successful I don't want to screw up in any way or do anything that will bring negative attention in my direction if I can help it.  I'm expecting it to be hard. I'm expecting it to be lonely. I'm expecting it to test me--that's what I thought I was signing up for. If the CF has functioned this long without cell phones at BMQ, why do they need to change that?

(If there's some sort of family emergency, they can contact you in some fashion anyway, can't they? Maybe not, I don't know, but I personally don't agree with having personal electronic devices while at BMQ/on course. Tthat's just my personal  :2c:)

I think you're the prime example of someone who has planned and thought this career choice through.  I think what most people on here are trying to articulate is that BMQ/BMOQ is a tool to measure one's suitability in a military environment.  If you cannot handle being incommunicado for the 5 week indoctrination  period, what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.  I commend you for preparing yourself and your family for the worst case scenario and for the sometimes hard military life.  It sounds like you have a great support system and I just wish more people thought like you, then maybe we'd have less people VRing.   

I love my wife but I know that without the limited contact I would find BMQ very difficult (She will complain and I will feel bad). We both need the time apart to get prepared for the change. The separation will force my wife to become less dependent on me so in the future I won't be getting calls about the bug that just ran across the floor.

I know I'll hate myself for posting in here, but......
half-pint said:
.......what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.

Could you provide one example, preferably from actual military experience rather than "a friend's dead uncle had heard," of someone going five months completely incommunicado and not knowing if a spouse was alive or dead.

half-pint said:
I think you're the prime example of someone who has planned and thought this career choice through.  I think what most people on here are trying to articulate is that BMQ/BMOQ is a tool to measure one's suitability in a military environment.  If you cannot handle being incommunicado for the 5 week indoctrination  period, what will you do when its 5 months and you don't know if your spouse is alive or dead.  I commend you for preparing yourself and your family for the worst case scenario and for the sometimes hard military life.  It sounds like you have a great support system and I just wish more people thought like you, then maybe we'd have less people VRing. 

Thank you Half-pint. 

For other readers, don't get me wrong, I in no way am disparaging anyone's thoughts and feelings who are in favour of cells and such. I absolutely understand it--I don't agree with it, but i understand it. I'm just surprised that such a change was implemented is all.  I hadn't even thought of the possibility of anyone being allowed until I started coming across it on the boards...

Journeyman said:
Could you provide one example, preferably from actual military experience rather than "a friend's dead uncle had heard," of someone going five months completely incommunicado and not knowing if a spouse was alive or dead.

That wasn't a disguised way to bail from a relationship...

Journeyman said:

That was a hyperbole.  ::)

half-pint said:
Perfect. The overwhelming percentage of people posting to these Recruiting threads can't even comprehend hyperbole, let alone spell it. Thanks.

::)  <-- right back at ya...with equal value

Pandora114 said:
Not gonna bring my gadgets.  I don't have a cell phone, but I have an Ipad and a laptop.  Both are staying home, if I don't have that stuff I won't be distracted from doing what needs to be done.  I know me.  Family can live without hearing from me for a bit. Will do em good.

Bring them.  You will go crazy on the wknds if you dont.

Rafterman1 said:

Good point.  I don't think my family would appreciate me drinking my pay away every weekend.  Getting a little too old for that.  Doubt my liver can handle that kind of abuse anymore.  I'll discuss it with my husband to see what would be best in that regard. 

half-pint said:

So, no fact based example? I'm dying to know if I could have based former lies on some half truth.

zander1976 said:
I love my wife but I know that without the limited contact I would find BMQ very difficult (She will complain and I will feel bad). We both need the time apart to get prepared for the change. The separation will force my wife to become less dependent on me so in the future I won't be getting calls about the bug that just ran across the floor.
+1,
When I was in BMOQ first time,having cell phone helped my wife to pass through time when I was not near her.
In my humble opinion if there is opportunity to use tools of communications use it. It is not for you first of all.It is for your family members - wives, husbands, children etc. You don't need to build artificial difficulties for yourself.Because your relatives can get it.If you have permission and opportunity using tools of communication why not to use? Maybe sometimes you will have situation when you can not use it like being on the mission.Then there is not choice. But now, at CFLRS there are also payphones and you can give a call to your family member even once a week.It helps , believe me.

Rafterman1 said:

I was about to write a whole rant about actually getting outside or reading a book on weekends, then realised that as I didn't write it in txt spk, most of those who that comment would be directed to would not be able to read it anyways.

I just went 4 weeks without my cell phone while it was getting repaired.

The world continued to turn.

My wife didn't die.

My life didn't change.

Only thing that sucked was when I got my car stuck I had to walk to a neighbors house and get him to help me.

all in all, life went on around me like I still had my phone.

Amazing things.

I also think that having super communication with others produces more problems then it solves.  Always being in contact with someone isn't always a good thing.

If I'm able to say goodnight to my 3 year old son via my cell phone every few nights I'm all for it., it will help me and it will help him to know daddy is gone but still loves him..

Thank you for allowing phones for such reasons..

You're welcome, now let me see what I can do about the whole tattoo thing.

My husband went through BMQ May-Aug 2012. The CO of his platoon didnt take away their cell phones, but other platoons did. I think it just all depends on how strict of a CO you get. My husband was able to quickly call us every night after 6pm for 5 minutes, but thats all we needed. When he went to Farhnam, I believe weeks 9 and 11, he couldnt call us as he was in the field. That was the longest we went, but bt that time we were so used to him being gone that the week went quickly. When I go to BMQ I will be bringing my laptop so I can skype with my 17 month old daughter. Of course if it is taken away until week 5 then a phone call will have to suffice.

ambernewton04 said:
My husband went through BMQ May-Aug 2012. The CO of his platoon didnt take away their cell phones, but other platoons did. I think it just all depends on how strict of a CO you get. My husband was able to quickly call us every night after 6pm for 5 minutes, but thats all we needed. When he went to Farhnam, I believe weeks 9 and 11, he couldnt call us as he was in the field. That was the longest we went, but bt that time we were so used to him being gone that the week went quickly. When I go to BMQ I will be bringing my laptop so I can skype with my 17 month old daughter. Of course if it is taken away until week 5 then a phone call will have to suffice.

This.  This is part of the 'indoc' to the CF both members and their families have to do.  Adjust from the start (BMQ), so the REAL seperations, deployments, etc where you ARE cut-off for OPSEC, etc, you can do it without going friggin' Coo Coo For Cocoa Puffs

Back