• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Regular Force 2005 - 2017 [Merged]

cant wait to get at it, curious to see how many we start with and how many we finish with

Good luck to all of you guys at bmq! Whatever you do don't VR!! Haha :)

Good Afternoon  :) Well, my son is beginning week 2 of BMQ and it seems from what he has said, team work is not as easy being in the blue sector. The recruits are in small groups of 5 to a pod, with private room and a door/ this set up is making it hard to gel as a team. I think being in the green sector where you all have to live/sleep and practically be in each other's space 24/7 would be easier to promote team work! I am sure it will eventually come together, but he's finding it challenging right now when others are keeping to themselves. Also, when his Dad went through Basic Trg. in Cornwallis, in '87, they where taught every little thing from how to shave to how to fold, iron and make a bed. My son is feeling abit overwhelmed as his staff hasn't taught him how to do locker layout or fold or anything yet, and they are just thrown into it to complete what they can figure out on their own / there's still so much stuff he feels he doesn't know what/how they want (ie) placement of the ruck, how to fold the shirts, how to iron his dress shirts, don't they get taught these things step by step anymore??? He's doing the best he can with the knowledge he has (very limited.... try teaching a kid how to fold a sock with a smiley face over the phone, :) that was fun)..... small things in our world, but big things to him when he wants to do well and doesn't want to screw up. I won't know for awhile how he's doing as today, they had their phones put into lock up (I'm guessing inspection was a real interesting time this morning!) .... I'm just hoping it all starts to fall into place and there is time put into  the day to teach them how to make the bed, do a proper locker layout, iron a shirt, etc....
Just some venting from a concerned mom.  :nod: I know eventually things have to work out, it's all about learning and that's the most important thing, all we as parents can do is be there to support him!
Thanks for listening!  :)

I remember a reserve BMQ course where the recruits were gathered into a gym with all of their kit, and each item would be called and demonstrated for them to lay out. One kid stood out in particular, frantically tossing his kit about for a number of items - going from one bag to another and back. After holding up the course a few times, a MCpl asked the recruit why he was having such a hard time finding pieces of his kit.
"...I mean, you packed your kit, right?"

"....no, MCpl."

"Who packed your kit, then?"

"...uh ...ummm ...my mom, MCpl."

The kid pretty much stayed mortified the rest of the course.

I am in the green sector and have been for several weeks.  Assure your son that teamwork is challenging regardless of where he may be situated. Some platoons are 60 people these days. The mix of ages, ethnicities, personal backgrounds, etc etc etc can make even the smallest task that needs to be done as a 'team' extremely difficult. There are the introverts, the extroverts, the bullies, the peacemakers, the know-it-all's, the 'know-nuthins', the keeners and the lazy-asses...and it's hard, especially at first.

Tell your son that while each sector has its pros and cons, working together WILL become easier. It won't be perfect, but things will start to come together. Some platoons figure a system out for different tasks quicker than others--it really just depends on the group. But eventually, things DO come together.

Brasidas said:
I remember a reserve BMQ course where the recruits were gathered into a gym with all of their kit, and each item would be called and demonstrated for them to lay out. One kid stood out in particular, frantically tossing his kit about for a number of items - going from one bag to another and back. After holding up the course a few times, a MCpl asked the recruit why he was having such a hard time finding pieces of his kit.

"....no, MCpl."

New screen...you owe me.  LOLZ

cryco said:
you get bullies in the recruits? really?

Hmmm, not my intent to make you worry--Perhaps a poor choice of words. Your son will be fine.

Brasidas said:

"....no, MCpl."

The kid pretty much stayed mortified the rest of the course.

;) good thing I didn't pack his kit then, lol! I'm sure he'll adapt and do fine, it's me having the hard time not worrying about my kiddo, I'm sure we, his parents will see the good side to his leaving the house, just hasn't happened for me yet! Lol

BeyondTheNow said:
Hmmm, not my intent to make you worry--Perhaps a poor choice of words. Your son will be fine.
No worries :) ( actually that wasn't my quote! :) ) but I understand exactly what you mean and agree 100% that all kinds of personalities prevail. Thanks for your great advice and I'll be sure next time I'm able to talk to him to let him know it'll all fall into place and work itself out :)

Back