• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brig Gen Fraser's arm patch

Well, I have been called Anti-American when I was a teen, but not of as late.  It helps to check back into your roots to see where exactly you come from! 

Well, Mr Dorosh, It was not an Anti-American slur, well, at least it was not meant to be.  Answer me this.  Have you ever seen a US military person wear Canadian insignia on thier uniform while they were on duty with a Canadian unit?  I haven't.  Mind you, I haven't been in the position to either.

JSR OP said:
Well, I have been called Anti-American when I was a teen, but not of as late.  It helps to check back into your roots to see where exactly you come from! 

Well, Mr Dorosh, It was not an Anti-American slur, well, at least it was not meant to be.  Answer me this.  Have you ever seen a US military person wear Canadian insignia on thier uniform while they were on duty with a Canadian unit?  I haven't.  Mind you, I haven't been in the position to either.

if you haven't seen it then why are you making a big deal of it?

Ex-Dragoon said:
if you haven't seen it then why are you making a big deal of it?

I'm not making a big deal about it, and you don't know the answer either do you?  My point is that I don't think that they do.  So why do we?

Personally the answer does not matter to me, the issue is the potential negativity against US personnel that your point alludes to. Read the Guidelines before trying to stir the pot.

If a US soldier/officer was assigned to a Canadian brigade they would wear the unit patch. I would imagine BG Devlin as deputy CG III Corps wear's the Corps patch on his CADPATs. Any US soldier who has been awarded Canadian or other jump wings wear them proudly. I know I wore my red leaf jump wings. I know that PPCLI troops who served with the 101st in Afghanistan could wear the screaming eagle badge, if the CF authorized it. After all they received the US Presidential Unit Citation do those soldiers wear the citation on their uniform ?

Although some patch-swapping goes on, there are many US staff out there who do not wear the symbol of the Canadian unit they work at other than qualification badges like Jump wings and Flight or nav wings. In reverse, I've worked at a few US and multi-national units and never wore their patches either.  Id like to hear from a navy guy - is this just a combat arms in afghanistan trend, to demonstrate 'solidarity', oops, I mean 'cooperation'? 

Ok, just to set the record straight, AFAIK, Ranger tabs and US SF tabs are the only foreign accoutrements authorized to be worn - and the former only on DEU, not combats.  2 PPCLI has special authority to wear its Presidential Unit Citation on DEU.  Foreign jump wings and the like are verboten (aside from on mess kit), and Canadians do not wear formation patches on combats - the badges of international organizations (on brassards) aside.  Indeed, badges are not sewn on combats at all... Personnel serving with NATO can wear NATO qualification badges (again on DEU), but only while serving in the foreign posting. 

If someone knows better, I'll stand corrected, but I think I'm on pretty firm ground here...

Cheers,

TR

0406school.jpg

Even in the US military each service has different reg's. USAF doesnt wear Army combat patches or unit patch - unless the airman is assigned to an army unit as is the case in this pic.

At the Canandian Air Div HQ you will find a LOT of officers wearing foreign wings, and my former boss there even used to wear his foreign jump wings (cant rememebr French, or Belgian)  on their daily work dress.  Trend is set by the US and canadian generals who work there, regardless of NDHQ policy.

I agree it may not be legal, but they do it anyway.  There are also a few command badges not recognized by Ottawa but authorized for wear by the Air Div HQ (I.E. the Canandian NORAD Region command badge). 

I spent my summers as a kid on US Bases as a cadet. During chow it was a bit of a game to see which soldiers had patches and where they were from and what they were for. It is my understanding that foreign patches came with rank and unique training/exposure and if you earned them both nobody had the will or the right to say anything to you about them. When I got to an age where I staffed some of those encampments for other cadets I occasionally had opportunity to speak with some of those Outstanding soldiers and learned a great deal about intl. customs and courtesies.

I just recently repatriated and am in the processing funnel for the CF. It's good to see that some things stay the same wherever you go.  ;) :warstory: :salute:

-padawan

FWIW, I have seen a Ranger Tab worn on the OD's where the Americans wear it prior to the switch to CADPAT. I'm sure the legality of that is shifty, but then again I imagine the population that actually writes the rules for things like that have never been in a position to earn a Tab (or Torch, or whatever), let alone wear it on combats. Although I have met one CWO who was Tabbed, Torched, and white-Winged. Hard man.

I have also heard stories of US Marines who earned their Ranger Tab and had to sew it into the inner upper flap of a chest pocket of their BDUs because their respective uniform nazis ruled it verboten. My understanding is that FR Marines can wear thier wings and dive bubbles, but apparently the Ranger Tab is a no-no. Go figure.

Back