• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brit L85/A2 Rifle in Iraq

x westie

Inactive
Reaction score
the British L85/A2 Rifle has had a lot of negative press ,but a upgrade was done on the weapon, anyone hear how the rifle is performing in  Iraq since the upgrade. :cdn:

couple Paras I know who've come back say it's still crap. Their e-lite types still use M-16s, so that pretty much says as much as I need to know.

I've handled both versions of the weapon, on a SUE in 2001 where I spent several days on the range with it, and again in Bosnia earlier this year.  Most of the modifications I noted were cosmetic or insignificant.  You still destroy the weapon if you put a pin in the wrong position, although I didn't gash my hand up nearly as badly on the ejection port cover this time, partly because I remembered (mostly) to do the drills with my left hand, and partly because they took off some of the razor edges on the cover.

I will say, that as a medic climbing in and out of the vehicles, the shortness of the bullpup was appreciated, and, while I never had any problems with performance once I could get a good fire position, Hythe Ranges were hardly a realisitic field test.

The Grenadiers I spoke to were still none too impressed with it, and envied us our C7 and -8's.

DF

SA80A2wcan.jpg

The only thing good on it is the can...

My buddy took the pic at the 2003 Sniper Concentration in Gagetown.  I shot one of each model - I can say it got better but not enough that would make me ever weant to think about using it in combat.

I mean - heck it makes it a lot easier to swallow the C7A2 fiasco  ;D

Can it still only be fired from the right shoulder?

being a southpaw I forgot this at one point on an Ex, training with the Brit TA's thankfully the handle didnt clock my jaw, but i did get some hot brass in the face and down the shirt.  oops... :-[

Has anyone here handled the Steyr AUG or FAMAS? how do they compare to the SA80?

I saw an Austrian Steyr - we where going to shoot it duirng a milskills exchnage - but he broke a plastic pin  ??? while stripping it, so my group sat around with thumb in ass - we shot our C7's and a Brit SA80 (this is in 93).  The Aussies seem to have a more robust version - ask our trusty source from down under.

baboon6 said:
Has anyone here handled the Steyr AUG or FAMAS? how do they compare to the SA80?

Cute pic of that 'quiet' SA80 BTW Kevin, really sweet!

I have used both the ADI F88 Austeyr in every configuration, and the G2 FAMAS which takes M16 mags.

The French Marines had optics on their G2's, but failed dismally (accuracy wise) during any combat scenerio shooting. Their 5.56 x 45mm rd is different from the US M193, and the SS109, its in a class of its own, and the twist is 1/12".

In 2003 I had spoke to some British Marines who were fresh out of Basra, and they pointed out the differences in the L85 and 86 A2 versions. Somewhere in here there should be some pics. They seemed to think the problems were solved, and seemed pleased, at least they were not using the older types.

I have also attached another 'bull pup' rifle, Singapore's SAR 21, 5.56 x45mm type M193, also 1/12" twist.

Cheers,

Wes

Any of you want to give a professional opinion of the SUSAT sight, compared to the Elcans?

The SUSAT is a updated/modified SUIT (from L1A1 SLR days), and in reality very old technology. It reckon its way behind the times, plus its mounting system is unique, and hence not NATO compatable, so it won't fit on a Picatinny rail.

I tried to fix one, but failed at it, and here is a few pics.

Cheers,

Wes

Back