• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Wives complaining of skid marks is a common thing. At the BBQ that I was hosting, while we were living in the PMQs in Petawawa, the wives got together and started going off about skid marks while doing the laundry. Meanwhile us, men gathered around the BBQ, looked rather puffed and proud and we begun boasting who had the biggest skid mark. Of course this promptly brought about a rather stern scolding from the wives which made us feel rather chasten.

By the way, I'm a moleskin and 2nd skin user too and natural fibre socks.

Did you just admit that you A) leave skid marks in your skivvies; or B) Don't know enough to wear black underwear ?

I had no idea this was a thing. Wipe your ass folks. And keep wiping until the shit tickets are white.

Did you just admit that you A) leave skid marks in your skivvies; or B) Don't know enough to wear black underwear ?

I had no idea this was a thing. Wipe your ass folks. And keep wiping until the shit tickets are white.
The wife buys the underwear. She likes white.
Sometimes while on fd ex, things get rushed and sh*t happens.

The wife buys the underwear. She likes white.
Sometimes while on fd ex, things get rushed and sh*t happens.

hamilton talk less GIF

. . . B) Don't know enough to wear black underwear ? . . .

While I can't speak to @Happy Guy's vintage or his (or his wife's) fashion sense, I remember when white was the first (and sometimes only) choice when it came to men's underpants. Just look at an Eaton's or Sear's catalogue from the '60s or '70s. It was the requirement when I went through Cornwallis and white Stanfield's briefs were the only colour and brand available in the CANEX. Anyone who attempted to colorize their locker layout would be quickly subjected to additional attention and scorn from the NCOs.

My story of gun tape as a defence against skidmarks was from the later 1970s. While we were issued OD underwear as part of our field gear (i.e. combats), the underpants (boxers) were voluminous and notoriously ill-fitting. Some may have liked them and wore them regularly, most may have only worn them on GOC's inspection when it was not unheard of for the Bde RSM (or even the Bde C.c.c.commander) to check that a soldier was wearing issued socks and underwear.

Do people actually wear our issued crap ? Man so many better options out there.
I know of at least one (not me) who wears the green undies. He genuinely likes it - he can afford better stuff and isn't the type to wear stuff just bc it's issued.

That was the subject of a good 15-min ribbing session when we found out, of course.

I don't mind the t-shirts or the long underwear, when I needed them for flying. I absolutely love the "DEU" wool toques and the green half-zip shirts that are supposed to be worn underneath combats in the winter. I use them for winter running and they're actually really good.

I would probably shiv someone for a crate of the thicker arid desert combat socks (not the ones that looked like pantyhose) that were issued for Afghanistan. I have no idea where they got those but they are indestructible and don't change shape.

I know of at least one (not me) who wears the green undies. He genuinely likes it - he can afford better stuff and isn't the type to wear stuff just bc it's issued.

That was the subject of a good 15-min ribbing session when we found out, of course.

I don't mind the t-shirts or the long underwear, when I needed them for flying. I absolutely love the "DEU" wool toques and the green half-zip shirts that are supposed to be worn underneath combats in the winter. I use them for winter running and they're actually really good.

I would probably shiv someone for a crate of the thicker arid desert combat socks (not the ones that looked like pantyhose) that were issued for Afghanistan. I have no idea where they got those but they are indestructible and don't change shape.

I think you and I are the minority as I also favor the wool touques.

I was just referring to our undies. We do have some good stuff. Agree with you on all points.

Glass half full: at least it wasn't a Fancy Dress party ;)

Soldiers dressed up in cat onesies and as Freddie Mercury

Soldiers dressed up in cat onesies and as Freddie Mercury 'sparked a mass brawl' at a booze-fuelled fancy dress party, court martial hears​

• Soldiers dressed up in child-sized onesies and resembled Freddie Mercury
  • The fancy dress party descended into a 'full on fight'
Soldiers from one of the British Army’s most prestigious regiments wore cat onesies as they sparked a mass ‘drunken brawl’ at a fancy dress event - with one described as looking like Freddie Mercury, a court martial heard.

Lance Corporal Piers Callaway and Lance Corporal James Holden, of the Household Cavalry Regiment, were involved in a ‘full-on fight’ with numerous other soldiers as violence erupted at the Corporal’s Club event.

The pair, both wearing ‘child-sized cat onesies’, were among servicemen celebrating the end of their deployment in the Falkland Islands when the booze-fuelled night last July turned sour.

Soldiers dressed up in cat onesies and as Freddie Mercury

Do people actually wear our issued crap ? Man so many better options out there.
Personally I love it. If I could buy a nice large box of them to last the rest of my life I would.

My only complaint is the newer pairs seem to be lower quality than the older ones, they are not holding up nearly as well.

The Summer 2023 British Army Review (How Will We Fight in 2026) is out and has quite a few good articles.

Their new format really sucks (but is oh so pretty) - luckily you can download it as a pdf.

🍻

Back