• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

I recall, in the British Army, the unit used to publish a list of 'Prevalent Offences' along with Part 1 Orders.

In it was contained a litany of horrors, much like you have described, ostensibly as a dire warning to others.

It didn't stop subsequent bollocks from being dropped, of course, but they made for good reading. I recall hearty guffaws echoing down the hallways when the tales of fresh crimes came out each month.

Someone should write a book.... ;)
Yeah no kidding...like my Dad's bush pants falling down in front of the Commandant in Shilo while he was on CO's Orders...was wearing a size too big and had his web belt on, CO asked the RSM why he was wearing it, RSM ordered him to remove it, despite Dad's suggestion against - this resulted in a number of more days of pack drill added to what he was already about to receive...

I recall, in the British Army, the unit used to publish a list of 'Prevalent Offences' along with Part 1 Orders.

In it was contained a litany of horrors, much like you have described, ostensibly as a dire warning to others.

It didn't stop subsequent bollocks from being dropped, of course, but they made for good reading. I recall hearty guffaws echoing down the hallways when the tales of fresh crimes came out each month.

Someone should write a book.... ;)
Routine Orders were a great thing to read. Who is leaving, who is arriving and the best - the results of the Orders Parades.

I received 21 Corrective Training days (Extra duties) for being a naughty boy. Every other Sgt laughed and thought it was great. Then when the new QMSI took over and had the MP section nail guys for not wearing seat belts or having berets on in their vehicles I laughed like hell. Never did another BOS in my career.

Routine Orders were a great thing to read. Who is leaving, who is arriving and the best - the results of the Orders Parades.

I received 21 Corrective Training days (Extra duties) for being a naughty boy. Every other Sgt laughed and thought it was great. Then when the new QMSI took over and had the MP section nail guys for not wearing seat belts or having berets on in their vehicles I laughed like hell. Never did another BOS in my career.
Of my 2 years with 2RCR, I only did BOS once - oddly enough the weekend I after I arrived, my birthday no less, but I changed with someone as I'd been already set up as BOS for Base Gagetown...I'd have rather babysat 600 than a couple K troops at the end of the summer. OOOps, I stand corrected, I only did it once in Garrison - did it a couple times in Haiti. My last few months in Garrison, someone got 41 BOS's after they got drunk in the Mess and started playing pokey chest with the RSM, who got a cab for them, put them into the cab, but they got out the other door and came back, so all the MCpl's and Sgts were going "WOOHOO!!!". Then we left for Haiti...and there was much rejoicing :cool: .

Retiring the C-130....

Very romantic... but all I could think of was the retching sounds in the back from a couple of hundred PARAs enjoying long, low level approaches to the DZ ;)

A farewell flight through southern Snowdonia for the RAF’s last few C-130 Hercules transport aircraft yesterday. Photographed approaching Talyllyn en route to RAF Valley.

1686930849664.png

Anything but a pay raise ;)

Armed Forces to examine incentives to attract and retain talent​

Britain's Armed Forces are examining ways to attract and retain new and next generations in the military after a series of recommendations were made in an independent review.

The review, published on Monday, examined the incentives to those serving in the military – both now and in the future – with a view to modernising the services and making life in the Armed Forces a more appealing offer, to 2035 and beyond.

It suggests 67 recommendations that the Ministry of Defence (MOD) will now look to implement as part of the ongoing modernisation of the Armed Forces.

Recommendations in the review included looking at how to get accommodation and allowances right – both home and overseas – and prioritising investment in single-living and service families accommodation to replace and upgrade the current stock.

The review, named the Haythornthwaite Review of Armed Forces Incentivisation, also suggests the Armed Forces puts into place incentives employed in the private sector such as a 'people-value-proposition' (PVP), a scheme in which the value a company offers to employees comes in return for the value they bring to the organisation.

You can access the report through this website

🍻

Their infrastructure issues, relating to QOL, alone are vast and would require bejillions to bring up to standard.

Way back when they did an evaluation of the cost of upgrading the base I was in and apparently came to the conclusion that it was vastly cheaper to pay back the troops' food and accommodation allowance, usually deducted from their pay. The troops enjoyed the 'extra' cash but it did nothing for the crappy accommodation and living conditions.

For example being Scotland, it got cold, and I kept my car window scraper in my room so I could clear the inside of the window if I wanted to look outside.

It didn't matter that much anyways as we tended to be out of barracks around 9 months of the year, on operations or training. Maybe that's the right solution! ;)

It didn't matter that much anyways as we tended to be out of barracks around 9 months of the year, on operations or training. Maybe that's the right solution!
Not for the significant others for the 75% of the troops who are in some form of relationship or other.

I've skimmed the report sufficiently to say that its a good starting roadmap for our mob.

🍻

Not for the significant others for the 75% of the troops who are in some form of relationship or other.

I've skimmed the report sufficiently to say that its a good starting roadmap for our mob.

🍻

They also include recommendations that are deeply naïve, such as this one:

Recommendation 43
Issue a definitive leadership statement, endorsed by Ministers, Service Chiefs, the Chief of Defence People and others, that sets out how a systems approach to the non-operational leadership and management of people will be achieved, applying mission command principles. This should clearly set the expectation for leaders throughout the organisation that they are empowered to innovate and take risk. It should define leadership responsibilities and accountabilities for key posts. And it should commit to recognising the value to and from Service personnel as a core part of military capability

file:///C:/Users/reaton/Downloads/14.278_MOD_HRAFI_headline_report_WEB.pdf

They also include recommendations that are deeply naïve, such as this one:

Recommendation 43
Issue a definitive leadership statement, endorsed by Ministers, Service Chiefs, the Chief of Defence People and others, that sets out how a systems approach to the non-operational leadership and management of people will be achieved, applying mission command principles. This should clearly set the expectation for leaders throughout the organisation that they are empowered to innovate and take risk. It should define leadership responsibilities and accountabilities for key posts. And it should commit to recognising the value to and from Service personnel as a core part of military capability

file:///C:/Users/reaton/Downloads/14.278_MOD_HRAFI_headline_report_WEB.pdf
Sounds like something from a PER bullet regarding leading change...

There, FTFY ;)
I'd even go so far as to say not misleading change, just writing something to say they actually had input to something nobody is really going to read in depth and should also largely be common sense...but you know what say about that being bred out of the gene pool, especially since the Guards officers likely involved with this are likely inbred themselves...

I'd even go so far as to say not misleading change, just writing something to say they actually had input to something nobody is really going to read in depth and should also largely be common sense...but you know what say about that being bred out of the gene pool, especially since the Guards officers likely involved with this are likely inbred themselves...

Now, I'm usually one of the first to give the Guards a hard time but I know a couple who would qualify as good eggs.

One even had a 'family tree map' to prove he wasn't inbred but, as I think he aptly put it: 'stoutly cross bred' ;)

Back